F4 Phantom intakes - Different types?

WV908

Morning all,

Looking at picking up a Hasegawa 1/48 'E' model Phantom (late with slatted wing for HAF birds) and i'd like to pose it in flight, meaning I'll need full depth intakes. A quick scour on the internet only really brings up the Alleycat sets as readily available and at a sensible price. 

The sets on offer are for the K/M, B and J.

K/M obviously is the British Phantom so a no-go for this as the intakes are too wide, but is there an appreaciable difference between B and J intakes and which ones (if any) of these two can I fit to an 'E'?

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

18 minutes ago, bootneck said:

There are lots of drawings and comparisons in the articles below by Soyuyo.

F-4 Phantom II drawings - part 1

F-4 Phantom II drawings - part 2

F-4K Phantom FG.1 Airfix part 1

F-4K Phantom FG.1 Airfix part 2

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks - I've been shown these references a few times now and always forget where to find them.

It would appear that all the non-Spey Phantom variants share the same intake, perhaps just with different panel breaks.

Cheers,

WV908

On the real F-4s, all of the J-79 intakes were the same (we're ignoring the variety in the early F4H-1 intakes for simplicity). The Air Force J-79s had two fairings covering accessory drive shafts. They're visible at the 5- and 7-o'clock positions:

spacer.png

The Navy J-79s didn't have these.

From a modeling perspective, you can use any intakes designed to fit the Hasegawa F-4E, F, G, S, and later J kits (but not the old one with raised panel lines). The only difference between them will be the engine compressor face parts, which may or may not have those two fairings. So, if all you can find are F-4J/S intakes for the Hasegawa kits, you can use them and just add the fairings to the engine faces. Intakes meant for the  old Hasegawa F-4B and C/D will not fit the newer kits. I don't think anyone even makes intakes for these kits.

I've used intakes from DMold and XMM on my Hasegawa F-4Es and highly recommend them. They're both from Russia, so I don't know what the postage rates from them to you might be. GT Resin makes some, too, but I can't comment on their quality.

Ben 

Edited by Ben Brown
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

On the real F-4s, all of the J-79 intakes were the same (we're ignoring the variety in the early F4H-1 intakes for simplicity). The Air Force J-79s had two fairings covering accessory drive shafts. They're visible at the 5- and 7-o'clock positions:

spacer.png

The Navy J-79s didn't have these.

From a modeling perspective, you can use any intakes designed to fit the Hasegawa F-4E, F, G, S, and later J kits (but not the old one with raised panel lines). The only difference between them will be the engine compressor face parts, which may or may not have those two fairings. So, if all you can find are F-4J/S intakes for the Hasegawa kits, you can use them and just add the fairings to the engine faces. Intakes meant for the  old Hasegawa F-4B and C/D will not fit the newer kits. I don't think anyone even makes intakes for these kits.

I've used intakes from DMold and XMM on my Hasegawa F-4Es and highly recommend them. They're both from Russia, so I don't know what the postage rates from them to you might be. GT Resin makes some, too, but I can't comment on their quality.

Ben 

Hi Ben,

Thanks - I'll pick up a set of the Alleycat 'J' intakes and add the fairings. 

The Alleycat 'B' intakes I mentioned are for the Academy kit :)

Cheers,

WV908

5 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Follow the smoke to find the J-79.

I've heard the later variants were smoke-less. Not smokeless. Easy mistake though.

• Haha 2