British Phantom Loadout (RAF)

Gremlin

thanks for all information

as 2 and 41 Sqns (FGR.2) were the only that use EMI Recco Pod, what other weapons can use at the same time of pod?

a recco configuration? 2 or 4 AIM-7/Sky Flash + EMI Pod + bombs (CBU)?+Sidewinder?

there are too few pics on net of FGR.2 with EMI pod and none with other weapon...

cheers

You don't see many clear pictures of them.

They wouldn't be carrying Sparrow( no Skyflash then) as they were essentially from tactical squadrons. You would maybe guess a couple of Sidewinder for self defence, but have never seen that in pictures.

Dick Wards' Phantom Squadrons (my bible!) shows 2 Sqn jets carrying the EMI reccon pod with no other armament, but often with drop tanks. The strike camera is fitted in the fwd port Sparrow bay and a ballast round fitted in the stb'd fwd bay.

There's even a picture of XT898 carrying camera pods but no underwing loads, or even pylons, whatsoever, looks unusually clean.

41 Sqn jets seemed to have occasionally carried CBLS practice bomb carriers aswel.

Don't forget that the LS-39A flash pod could be carried on the port drop tank position sometimes.

For something different,

There are photos of XV499 of 41 Sqn carrying the EMI pod, seven LB755 cluster bombs and 4 x Sparrows, I would guess that was for demonstration purposes only.

One of 111 Sqns Phantoms, XV406, was photographed with the EMI pod, flash pod, and 4 x Sparrows, again seems to be for trials and demonstration purposes.

I have seen a picture of a 228 OCU jet carrying the EMI pod.

@Hook on here has mentioned 54 Sqn carrying the pod for trials possibly, but I have never seen reference to that.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

@Hook on here has mentioned 54 Sqn carrying the pod for trials possibly, but I have never seen reference to that.

Good morning,

reference is p. 83 of Double Ugly "British Phantoms", vol. 1 (1966 - 1978).

Highly recommended series. Although I'm glad to have the Richard L. Ward volume in my library as well! There is no such thing as too many Phantom books, after all.

Cheers,

Andte

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2020 at 5:01 AM, 71chally said:

For something different,

There are photos of XV499 of 41 Sqn carrying the EMI pod, seven LB755 cluster bombs and 4 x Sparrows, I would guess that was for demonstration purposes only.

This?

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bobsyouruncle said:

Some interesting loads being slung under these RAF Phantoms (for this film anyway).

I love this sort of TV.

What could be better, 1970s RAF combined with Raymond Baxter TV!

8 hours ago, bobsyouruncle said:

Some interesting loads being slung under these RAF Phantoms (for this film anyway).

I love this sort of TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dy31I_saWM

Cheers Bob.

A lot of it was being broadcast live which must have been a bit of a nail-biter for the production crew and the RAF , early Friday evening as I remember it and I should have been on backshift and would have missed it in those pre-VCR days but had been sent on a local training course on days that week instead.

On 5/1/2020 at 9:21 AM, 71chally said:

The EMI reconnaissance pod disappeared with the strike squadrons, only 2 Sqn (RAFG) and 41 Sqn (UK) used them operationally.

There were only 12 aircraft wired to carry the EMI pod.

XV406 was used by the A&AEE for pod trials at Holme on Spalding Moor, then later served with 111 Sqn when it was an FGR2 air defence unit.

Unusually in the photo below, it is seen carrying the EMI pod and also sporting the night recce Sargent-Fletcher photo flash wing tank conversion.

At least two of the 12 recce wired airframes included XV432 which was on 54 Sqn's books with another example whose serial is too unclear to read in a photo in

the book: Phantom in the Cold War: RAF Wildenrath, 1977–1992 by David Gledhill

Some other marking option choices besides the more usually seen examples with the dedicated recce squadrons 2 Sqn and 41 Sqn.

spacer.png

• Like 2