Finished! Wellesley Mk.1, 47 Sqn, Sudan, May 1940 (Valom 1/72)

Hi comrades!

My next build is Vickers Wellesley from start of WWII in Africa (from the boxart). 

The build will be OOB with some scratch additions.

So far, I opened 4 windows in forward fuselage. Also I'm planning to enhance the wheel wells and the pilot headrest - those areas are oversimplified in the kit. So, any informative images will be of great help. Unfortunately, in the Warpaint book on Wellesley those areas are not described...

Also, any building tips or known inaccuracies of the kit will be of great help.

Thanks in advance !

001.jpg
001.jpg
002.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi comrades!

Thanks for the necessary info! I added some details to the wheel wells  - now thy are less boring. The black spots are because of black cement I used...

004-2.jpg
005-2.jpg
006-2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 3

I have fond memories of building the Matchbox kit many years ago. Will be watching with interest.

looking at the wing pictures the geodesic strut impressions on the wings look a bit flat, Dremel time ? Might be difficult to improve.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marklo said:

ooking at the wing pictures the geodesic strut impressions on the wings look a bit flat, Dremel time ? Might be difficult to improve.

Hi!

I hope the Surfacer 500 and abrasive Tamiya sponge (400?) will be enough to make the geodetic effect look better.

It’s a tough one because unlike a conventional fabric covered rib structure there is a double curvature, giving a convex diamond shape where each rib intersects. At this point I’d be looking t as many pictures of the real thing as you can find.

Just looking around the web and the wings actually look quite smooth so the kit might be slightly overstated.

Btw I’m not a rivet counter :) 

Edited by Marklo

6 minutes ago, Marklo said:

It’s a tough one because unlike a conventional fabric covered rib structure there is a double curvature, giving a convex diamond shape where each rib intersects. At this point I’d be looking t as many pictures of the real thing as you can find.

I will try to improve the Valom's interpretation of the diamond-fabric structure. Hope, my Plan A will work...

The kit provides no main wing spar to keep those wings from shaking loose!  This will be an engineering challenge.  Are you planning on creating your own spar?  I recommend Plastruct I-beams.

22 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This will be an engineering challenge.  Are you planning on creating your own spar?

Not sure. I'll check this later, after assembling the wings and dry fit to the fuselage

• Like 1

Hi comrades!

-I added the OOB brass (horrible misfit with plastic parts, but shall be hardly seen after closing the fuselage)

-Interior and wheel wells painted dark aluminum (structure) and brick-red (inside fabric)

-Interior and wheel wells weathered

-Wings assembled 

Next - seatbelts and pilot headrest scratch-build.

013.jpg

013a.jpg

013b.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

020.jpg

026.jpg

031.jpg

033.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 10

Hi comrades!

This kit fight back at every step! So, I continued to built with use of light violence...

I stuffed the fuselage, some parts were fixed with Tamiya's two components putty to ensure the good contact. Fuselage was assembled.

Next - wings assembly. After an evening of test fitting, I decided to make the wing spar from Evergreen rod.

Finally, I discovered the visible gap in one wing - the fix was again - Tamiya two-component putty.

040.jpg

041.jpg

044.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

050.jpg

052.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

057.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

Next stage - work on engine and scratch-build of pilots headrest and its supporting structure.

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

5 hours ago, woody37 said:

It might be fighting but it looks like you're winning, great progress

...and studying carpentry! Thanks to Valom😜😜

Sorry to butt into this thread (which brings back memories of my aborted 1:48 vacform), but I just bobbed in to check how things were progressing, and noticed that the pics were loading slowly.

I tested some of the pics, and they were up to 6.8mb in size, which is huge when posting up on the internet.  You should be aiming to save your files to around 200kb optimally, give or take a bit.  To accomplish this, you can reduce the size of your pics, as anything over the recommended 1024 x 800 maximum we advise, it's wasted bandwidth and storage space useage.  Most people view these pics on phones, tablets and 1080p screens, so huge photos of 4000 x 3000 px will have to be shrunk down by the forum software (load on the server and delay for the user), as well as the extra bandwidth that is uses up (10x what's necessary).

The downsides of this from a viewer's point of view is the waiting time before you can view the pics, and some people might get bored and click away.  From the server's point of view, it's wasteful of bandwidth, storage size (we cache images to improve speed), and it's also wasteful of the server's resources, which means a slower experience for all of us.

This isn't meant as a "telling off" BTW, more of a bit of useful advice to help you as well as help us.  If you can size your pics to the recommended limits, we'll be really happy, and so will the members :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Mike. After several visits to this thread I was beginning to worry that there was something wrong with my computer.

Relieved of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

Hi comrades!

Quickboost engine assembled, brass fixed on the engine, but awaits soldering for better strength.

The bomb's "suitcases" assembled. For more strength, I added "pins" and drilled appropriate holes in the wings. Final assembly will be after the painting, now only dry-fit.

Hope the pictures are OK.

060.jpg
061.jpg
062.jpg
063.jpg
064.jpg
065.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 6

CemaGa: This is looking really good. The challenges you're experiencing with this kit presage those I anticipate having with Valom's upcoming release of another fine Vickers product, the Valetta.  That's why I'm following it especially closely.  Good call on your part to scratch build a wing spar.  On a plane of this size, that is more than just a "good idea," but a necessity.  It may fight you, but I think you're winning.  Alex T.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

It may fight you, but I think you're winning.

Thank You! I just believe that Valom designers are not bothering with test assembly...The details look OK - it's enough)). And I'm afraid to buy their B-45 Tornado😰

2 hours ago, cema_ga said:

Hope the pictures are OK.

Much better! They downloaded straightaway and now I don't have to try and imagine what's going on!

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Martian said:

Much better!

Thank You!

Making good pictures and placing them in forum is more complicated IMHO than building the models)))

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cema_ga said:

Thank You!

Making good pictures and placing them in forum is more complicated IMHO than building the models)))

Never a truer word was spoken!

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hi comrades!

The build is resurrected!

I made soldered "spider" from old photo-etch to represent the structure visible through the glass but omitted by Valom.

Then, clear parts was installed (gunner cockpit glazing was VERY "interesting"), model was primed, painted and the decals (most pleasant part of the kit) on place

083.jpg
084.jpg
085.jpg
086.jpg
087.jpg
088.jpg
089.jpg

Next- weathering and undercarriage

Thanks for looking!

• Like 5