Japanese J8M Shūsui Rocket Interceptor (Finemolds 1/48)

Hello folks,

Just completed my latest work on the table, a 1/48 J8M Shūsui rocket interceptor. As a Japanese copy of the German Me-163 Komet it was a less known topic, and Finemolds is the only game in town. The limited version I bought comes with a pair of cannon barrels so I made my Shūsui into a "what-if" combat ready model (The real one didn't pass beyond unarmed prototype stage). For a kit originally released in the 90's the assembly is super straightforward, apart from the built-in PE set I just replaced the plastic pitot tube on the left wing with brass, and it was ready for painting.

I used the sole surviving Shūsui from the Planes of Fame Air Museum as a camouflage reference, but used green instead of orange (the colour for trainer/prototype aircraft). The upper was painted with dark green from AK interactive's WW2 IJN Aircraft Colours set. After masking I painted the bared lower using Gaia Colour's star bright duralumin. The roundels were painted too, after finding out the decals have become unusable after decades. The plane was weathered using MIG (filtering and washing), AK (panelining) and oil paints (color modulation and fake shadows) before a protective semigloss coating.

I made a small round base using rigid foam covered with Tamiya's weathering paste. To better reflect the name of the aircraft (Shūsui means "Autumn Water" literally in Japanese) as well as the time it would've seen combat (Autumn 1945), I planted some yellow autum grass onto the base. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

y4mJuv0CVKzZAT8jxV-xSY6hMrWVwljsFJBUFdsC

y4mzbxUJ4NPX7GlIhYgHhMVjLrLjhc_OqCoh4ute

y4m6tswOh9O-ZsetRBHSrLGuxjWKBc2L-QaNeP_U

y4mOn4hYdjyqU-iqA4zILnmTdDB3n5ikIycLED4O

y4mMfEEbpo56s38L7lnwg97otopFBeufMXguNTtm

y4mLm_2QGBy8zytpMvF664TO-gw2i0C3iEWW85qC

y4mCHZPHCjWX57xRR6tQTTC9EyH6CHdBqFUcpusH

y4mFqTJFTicau8D-lWxe0Ud3wLxk56UoDFEX_x8P

y4m86Ql1pzHXmufFn6C--hPefQVOGFMZfK6e_yt4

Some WIP pics:

y4mCqwmzYbD-MTc5SoDJIO6uPaxUBwK-FmL2Uswm

y4mR788Fv1ORdIi8ezjxpWzbU-jETK9eRaadcRR0

y4mVwyTZ0NlQnjU26_Lq0QUYFLVRU5nFxVIxtA0Q

y4mKsAvmftVauTqYaiEDwkKUt6ksf64WZVGlNaVB

Cheers.

Edited by medalofdead
changed image address
  • Like 21

Looks like you're trying to use Google Photos to link your pictures, it doesn't work. Sounds like an intriguing subject, hope to see it soon! 

This thread might help... 

• Like 2

That's a nice Shusui - very well executed. One of those prototypes that got beyond the drawing board. Great to see one built so expertly.

For those of you who are interested there is a superb book on Japanese prototypes and experimental aircraft (incl. many stalled designs) - Japanese Secret Projects by Edwin Dyer

https://www.amazon.de/Japanese-Secret-Projects-Experimental-1922-1945/dp/1906537410/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=edwin+dyer&qid=1588239167&sr=8-1