Suddenly this afternoon it all came together, so I've taken lots of pictures in the hope that someone out there will like it, and may even be inspired to have a go themselves.

The basic fuselage is strips of wood glued rather like a balsa aircraft and covered in plastic card. The nose section was a 1/32nd Puma, first built decades ago.

There are original Sternail models out there. probably less than a dozen all scratchbuilt, I did one years ago. This, the Ausf D. would be a development of the original.

CA7Y3EL.jpg

Scale is 1/35th. It measures out at nearly 70cm. call it 2 feet 3 inches in old money.

3amObta.jpg

Nose armament, Laser/plasma? You decide.

cnpiWtx.jpg

The wasp decal is from a Messerscmitt Bf110

gsJH1Km.jpg

The yellow/green decal is supposed to be a bit like the WW2 defence of the Reich markings. I used two decals overlaid.

To the left of that is the airlock door for the WSO (Weapons systems operator) or GIB (Guy in Back).

Lots of other access panels can be seen.

fNf2IS7.jpg

The RH comms pod.

lgH4axa.jpg

RH thruster turret.

62PJxNo.jpg

See those silver balls on the blade pitch change arms. What's the name of that game where grown men run around woodland firing these pellets at each other?

3I77H6z.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with the solar panels. Black paint over silver, But they'll have to do until I think of another way to do it.

They do look pretty battered and worn though, in typical kreiger fashion.

esKNBmr.jpg

That thruster in the middle is an Aircraft rivet type called a Rivnut, or rather, it was. As seen on Wessex radius arm mounting plates.

SRXbkpy.jpg

There's another one under here. And I cut the middles out of 1/25th steering wheels and glued them to the Sherman drive sprockets on the scanner, above right. 

XWijq1n.jpg

SMwIRhT.jpg

The left side featuring the pilots airlock door. The docking probe is visible on the right.

v1YV3hU.jpg

Meteor sheild (Puma door) and Comms pod (Mascara compact lid & card)

O2GVMdj.jpg

LH main horizontal steering thruster turret (King Tiger)

YTbiE9q.jpg

LH gun close up. Various Panzer bits. The convoluted jobbie is a Biro spring wrapped in PTFE tape.

EDIT - I forgot to show the engines, so here you are....

2TFBu3L.jpg

So, there we go. It's been a fun build and due to being stuck at home it's finished months earlier than expected. 

I hope you've seen something you like and I welcome your comments and questions.

Thanks for looking, Pete

• Like 22

8 hours ago, Stef N. said:

It must be liberating not to worry about instruction sheets,

It is. I almost started such a kit yesterday. Then put it away again, and got out the spares box!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I must admit that I never really understand what I'm looking at, but I tend to think that if your builds don't confuse me, I haven't looked at them properly. :confused:

Whatever it is, it's a damn good bit of scratch-building and shows a remarkable imagination.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

I must admit that I never really understand what I'm looking at

Think of it as a WIF build but 800 years in the future.

A space going manned hunter killer will need airlocks, life support, engine, weapons etc. That's the function.

Based on a known design, (the original Sternail). Raid the spares boxes to see what I've got and the form follows.

Plus a lot of fun working it out until we get to the end.

Thanks for looking and the nice comments, Guys.

• Like 2

I was afraid of knocking the model off of the bookcase in the mancave, so this afternoon I hung it up...

0sNPRHC.jpg

LN2OdZY.jpg

Hopefully it will be safer up there. Cheers, Pete

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

OOh! is that a Johan Caddy ambulance on the shelf behind it?

Well spotted. And from so far away too. Yes, probably a rare beast nowadays.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...