Another Mohawk,.... AZ Model Mohawk Mk.IV, 3 Sqn SAAF, East Africa 1941.

Hiya Folks,

Here is my second AZ Model Mohawk model, wearing the markings of 2537 (ex RAF BJ536) of 3 Sqn SAAF when it was based at Alomata airfield in Ethiopia during 1941 while fighting the Italian`s. It wears SAAF roundels with orange centres and there are traces of an overpainted Sky fuselage band which I have tried to replicate. The model was brush painted and the decals came from the spares box with the unit insignia coming from a Dutch Decals sheet, although the disc may actually be light blue rather than white as depicted?

I can highly recommend this book if you are interested in SAAF fighters or the fighting in East Africa, with the page dealing with the subject of my model, 3 Sqn`s 2537;

9788360672303-2.jpgimages.jpg 

Some more SAAF Mohawk`s,......

Here is a line up of 4 Sqn SAAF Mohawk`s at Nakuru Kenya;

mohawks-248br.jpg

A Mohawk of 10 Sqn SAAF based in South Africa;

mohawk-10-Squadron-Curtiss-Mohawk-on-Sta

Mohawks at Durban, South Africa;

mohawks-at-durban.jpg

And 3 Sqn SAAF at Alomata,.... 2537 is thought to be the nearest aircraft with the dark coloured spinner and wheel discs,.....which are lighter in another photo, pointing at this being orthochromatic film?

461ba50e1f9fc-large.jpg

It is thought that 3 Sqn`s unit motif was based on a US Navy logo for VF-7, the background disc was black on 3 Sqn`s Hurricane`s but a mixture of colours on Mohawk`s,.....possibly white, light blue and orange?;

3-sqdn-East-Africa-Logo-VF-7.jpg

And here is the model;

DSCF7721-NEW.jpg

DSCF7704-NEW.jpg

DSCF7722-NEW.jpg

DSCF7710-NEW.jpg

DSCF7711-NEW.jpg

DSCF7724-NEW.jpg

And both Mohawk`s together;

DSCF7705-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2020 at 9:55 PM, Wulfman said:

Excellent builds, great stuff ! How was the kit, any problems ?

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman,...... the kit itself is good in parts,..... the detail is great, but the fit in places isn`t brilliant and the wings need to have the mating edges sanded flat. The canopy isn`t a brilliant fit either and I thought the prop and spinner were a bit rough,...... but it is a limited production kit. I would spend more time on my next one,....and maybe use some after market gun barrels. The decals for the box art subject (which is a lovely painting!) are not particularly well researched unfortunately,...... but that all being said,..... there are not many other options for a Mohawk Mk.IV! I have a couple of the old AML kits which have resin cockpits etc,..... and I have a resin ED Models conversion for the old Heller P-36,..... which I may have a go at fitting to an Airfix Tomahawk?  

On 4/29/2020 at 10:08 PM, Harley John said:

Very nice. That Mohawk is a chunky monkey isn't it? Might have to get one.

Thanks,.... that`s how I like my fighters,.... nice and chunky and this one looks like an angry little wasp from some angles too, I think that is what fascinates me about the type. 

Cheers fella`s.

Tony

• Like 1

Lovely build.  I do love all WWII subjects from the allied colonies.  Just that little bit different.  

Brilliant execution on your part. 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Wulfman,...... the kit itself is good in parts,..... the detail is great, but the fit in places isn`t brilliant and the wings need to have the mating edges sanded flat. The canopy isn`t a brilliant fit either and I thought the prop and spinner were a bit rough,...... but it is a limited production kit. I would spend more time on my next one,....and maybe use some after market gun barrels. The decals for the box art subject (which is a lovely painting!) are not particularly well researched unfortunately,...... but that all being said,..... there are not many other options for a Mohawk Mk.IV! I have a couple of the old AML kits which have resin cockpits etc,..... and I have a resin ED Models conversion for the old Heller P-36,..... which I may have a go at fitting to an Airfix Tomahawk?  

Thanks,.... that`s how I like my fighters,.... nice and chunky and this one looks like an angry little wasp from some angles too, I think that is what fascinates me about the type. 

Cheers fella`s.

Tony

Hi Tony, 

Thanks for the head’s up, I will find it very useful.

Wulfman

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kapam said:

Lovely build.  I do love all WWII subjects from the allied colonies.  Just that little bit different.  

Brilliant execution on your part. 😎

Thanks mate,..... I must admit I do like my Commonwealth subjects,...... my way of saying thanks too.

Cheers

Tony