Affordable Detail Airbrush

Jimbobtheflimbob

So at the moment I have an Iwata revolution HP-CR with the .5mm nozzle, and have found that it isn't precise enough for some of my modelling. I was looking at getting the optional .3mm nozzle but it costs almost as much all in as a H&S Ultra. I've also been considering the H&S evolution silverline and the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. Would there be any real benefit getting an eclipse with a .35mm nozzle when i already have the revolution with a nozzle that isnt much bigger? Also, does the evolution spray any better than the ultra to justify the price difference? My first airbrush was an ultra but I had a nightmare with it clogging and ended up breaking it and getting so annoyed i got rid of it, so i'm a little hesitant to get another one when I may end up clogging this one again, although hopefully the years of practice since then will prevent a repeat.

Will

I wouldn't think the .35 nozzle would really be considered a "detail" airbrush, but all things are relative ... I work in 1/72 and use an Ultra with a .2 needle for general work and an Infinity with a .15 needle for detail.

I think the key thing to understand is that as you use finer needles, paint choice and preparation are increasingly critical, as well as careful cleaning of the airbrush - personally I avoid aqueous acrylics (because of tip drying) for fine work in favour of enamels, Lacquers are probably better still if you can use them safely. 

Cheers,

Colin