Lysander landing

Paul White

Hi

I'm new to the forum but have done some modelling.

I want to create a pasture of roughish grass and have bought a mat of spring grass, only trouble is it looks like a billiard table. The tufts of grass I bought to add to it are totally the wrong colour and I haven't got a lot of kit like airbrushes to spray with.

Can anyone recommend how I transform the mat to look like a rough cow pasture? Or, do I need to forget the mat and do it some other way?

Any advice gratefully recieved!!!

Paul

• Like 1

Mixed static grass maybe?

Maybe, PVA on first, then some mixed sand and very small stones.  Paint earth brown. Drybrush a sandy brown.  Then glue and mixed static grass as complete or patch a cover as you want.

Cheers,

Nigel

It's 1/48th scale. When I say rough, I mean with tufts of grass, but those I bought are bright green and don't look natural at all.

What is "static" grass and how does it work?

Edited by Paul White

13 minutes ago, Paul White said:

It's 1/48th scale. When I say rough, I mean with tufts of grass, but those I bought are bright green and don't look natural at all.

What is "static" grass and how does it work?

Very fine fibres, different browns and greens available, different lengths from 2mm upwards.  Basically you lay down glue and sprinkle the static grass.  It is called static grass because it naturally gains an electrostatic charge which causes the fibres to stand up.  Can be helped using a static shaker but not essential.

Like this

https://arcanesceneryandmodels.co.uk/shop/field-system-2mm-static-grass-medium-green-woodland-scenics-wfs614/

Cheers,

Nigel

3 hours ago, wombat said:

I wouldn’t over do the roughness in 1/48. They were understandably pretty choosy about what they would try to land on, and got very riled when the field was not up to the spec.

Agreed, remember 6” of grass is pretty rough but that is only 3mm in 1:48..

Cheers,

Nigel

What I do is;

1. I keep a stock of sand, one tub filtered for very small. and one tub for more stoney

2. I use a board of MDF, cut to size

3. Apply two coats of thinned PVA glue to both sides and edges.

4, lightly sand the edges and paint black

5. apply a thick coat of PVA glue to one side and

6. pour the fine sand onto the glue, a big heap of it evenly spread around

7. press the sand down

8 leave to dry for a few hours

9. shake off the loose sand

10. Apply another coat of PVA glue. I use weather-proof glue so the second wet coat doesn't lift the first.

11 pour sand on as in 6. then 7. 8 and 9

12 using cheap paint from £world, blue, and yellow I mix a green. I thin the green paint with water

13 I apply a wet coat of green over the sanded board with a 1" brush

14 as this dries I apply some yellow paint in patches and scrub mix it, this gives patches of a lighter green

15  I do the same with the blue to get darker patches

16 allow to fully dry for several days

17 put leather circles on the underside of the board for feet

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 01/05/2020 at 15:33, Paul White said:

How do you post photos on here other than from URL?

In order to show photos on this site you will need a photo host. All you need to know about posting photos is here (don't worry that it's several pages long, all you need is the first post on the first page):

There is a document on suitable photo hosts here:

Posting photo's on here may look complicated at first, but it it is much easier than it sounds.