Wingnut Wings DFW C.V. (mid production) 1/32

Hello everyone, best wishes, hope you are all coping as well as possible. Just posting my latest effort.

I seem to be whizzing through some builds, due to the lockdown, so went with this plane.

Im not totally sure I have got the colour right, but in some respects I guess there isnt a right colour with these old planes. So just went with what was in my paint box. Picking a colour scheme is becoming as hard as picking what to make out of my stash lately. This is my ninth wing nut build (currently Germany 6 England 3) and for the first time I came across a couple of little problems. Had some warped sprues, some odd numbering for the build - bottom wings before undercarriage was definitely wrong. Also a few decals not numbered in the instructions. But dont want to quibble as they are by far my favourite manufacturer (fingers crossed they carry on). I also had to make my own rigging holes for some of it, which was unusual.

This is a fairly large plane, 410mm wingspan compared to 265mm for a Sopwith Camel, im running out of space to put these. I think I made a few mistakes, 1 or 2 bent struts. I bonded the wing struts to the bottom wing, way, way to early, wont do that again. They are so fragile and I snapped 3 off. Quite a nice amount of rigging on this one, compared to the AMC DH2 or the FE.2B for instance. Ive stopped putting in the internal rigging, as there doesnt seem much point really. But do enjoy the external rigging. Am always reading about it putting people off, which was an outloook I used to have myself, then I had a go and really enjoyed it.

Am a brush painter and am reasonably happy with the finish, for some reason, crap as I am at taking pics, they always show up the mistakes and not the good bits. I do like trying to recreate the wood effect on the propeller, there are so many different techniques for this, sometimes it just works, other times not so much.

Would love to hear any comments, thank you for looking and take care,

cheers, Martin

20200429_095752 20200429_095654 20200429_100022 20200429_095906 20200429_095810 20200429_095844 20200429_095739 20200429_100059 20200429_100041 20200429_095825 20200429_095920 20200418_183349 20200418_183334

• Like 16

I......just.....LOVE......these......kits!! Especially to see a build & finished one!

That's a great looking airplane and quite an eyecatching colour/decal combination.

This aircraft is actually a lot more elegant than i expected & that exhaust sticking out above the wings.....it's almost steampunk like don't you think?

It's that kind of primitive engineering which makes these airplanes so fascinating, at least to me that is.

My hats off to you for finishing it => i've yet to finish my very first Wingnut kit which i started over a year ago!

Somehow work keeps interfering over & over again. I'd love to see a photo of this DFW standing between your other finished WNW kits!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EpicPlastic said:

I......just.....LOVE......these......kits!! Especially to see a build & finished one!

That's a great looking airplane and quite an eyecatching colour/decal combination.

This aircraft is actually a lot more elegant than i expected & that exhaust sticking out above the wings.....it's almost steampunk like don't you think?

It's that kind of primitive engineering which makes these airplanes so fascinating, at least to me that is.

My hats off to you for finishing it => i've yet to finish my very first Wingnut kit which i started over a year ago!

Somehow work keeps interfering over & over again. I'd love to see a photo of this DFW standing between your other finished WNW kits!

Thank you very much for the reply my friend. 

Steampunk is a great way of describing the exhaust look. It mainly seems to be the German planes that have an exhaust like that. 

I hope you get the chance to finish your build soon, I have attached a pic of my finished Wingnut kits.

All the best, Martin 

2020-05-01_08-52-51

• Like 3

Despite your troubles during the build, that has come out rather well, it's a lovely looking aeroplane isn't it.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Viking said:

Despite your troubles during the build, that has come out rather well, it's a lovely looking aeroplane isn't it.

Cheers

John

Thanks mate,

Yes it does look nice. Funnily enough my love of WW1 aircraft came from Wingnut wings being great kits rather than an initial love of how they look. I bought a Sopwith Camel just to have one of their kits, due to their reputation, then realised I love how they look. I get a thrill go through me when I see a Spitfire (I live near Southampton Airport) I'd imagine I'd get the same thrill if I ever saw some biplanes.

I'm now a fully paid up Wingnut lover. Have over 20 now. Hope they somehow carry on trading.

All the best, Martin 

• Like 1

Now that's a great sight to see, thank's for sharing that photo! What a great collection. :worthy:

It's great to read that WNW made you start modeling WW1 aircraft => i've had the exact same experience.

So, as a fellow Wingnut fan, which one of the 20 you have in your stash is going to be next?

I see the odds are 6 Germans versus 3 British right now, so maybe a big British or American 2 seater?

I've just purchased a nice display cabinet this week with enough space for about 10 finished Wingnut Wings models.

The shelves stare at me very empty and almost scream out to place some finished models there, so that's a good encouragement to free up some time and finish that first WNW kit!

Keep on modeling and looking forward to your next build.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, EpicPlastic said:

Now that's a great sight to see, thank's for sharing that photo! What a great collection. :worthy:

It's great to read that WNW made you start modeling WW1 aircraft => i've had the exact same experience.

So, as a fellow Wingnut fan, which one of the 20 you have in your stash is going to be next?

I see the odds are 6 Germans versus 3 British right now, so maybe a big British or American 2 seater?

I've just purchased a nice display cabinet this week with enough space for about 10 finished Wingnut Wings models.

The shelves stare at me very empty and almost scream out to place some finished models there, so that's a good encouragement to free up some time and finish that first WNW kit!

Keep on modeling and looking forward to your next build.

Thanks mate.

I always find it hard to pick out what to build next. I get one out of the cupboard, then put it back. Get another out, put it back and so on. I might go with the DH.9a 'Ninak', but not sure.

I have 3 I really want to make, the Stahltaube, an FE.2B and a Felixstowe but I am saving them for the future.

Incidentally i have just seen your WIP of your Eindecker. That is very, very good and way better than mine. Cannot wait to see that finished. Get that cabinet filled up.

Best wishes to you, take care, Martin