Your Favourite Box Art...?

Richard E

2 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

That's what finished the rule of the dinosaurs...

You’d think that a species capable of lifting 600lbs of rock straight overhead would have triumphed over puny Homo sapiens...

best,

M.

2 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

I grew up with Roy Cross art on Airfix boxes

full?d=1521494033

Just the best! :like:

SD

One of those kits I always looked at in my childhood but is still to find its way into my to build cupboard

22 hours ago, Brad said:

Neanderthal Man trying to smash the Arora Allosaurus with a rock...what's a few million years between friends anyway?

q3o0tmM.jpg

18 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

You’d think that a species capable of lifting 600lbs of rock straight overhead would have triumphed over puny Homo sapiens...

Indeed! And if you only gave further thought to it; ought not to have been the allosaurus the one surviving judging by the way the critter is cleverly paying more attention at the object with which the neanderthal is trying to smash its skull, instead of fixating on the neanderthal's calf it should be looking at? :lol:

• Like 1

I tend to like the box art of kits I'm after.. So when I first re-entered the hobby my favourite box art for a long time was this one

3C4iB8.jpg

Once I'd acquired the kit, the artwork lost some of it's magnetism, but still remains a sentimental favourite!

Another bias is anything SAAF, so the following is one of my favourites

3C4hTx.jpg

If I was forced to choose boxart without those biases, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, the Eduard Rockin Rhino box is a favourite. Dunno, it cheers me up - must be the flowers 🧐

3C41q5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Being that Al Deere's "Nine Lives" was the first war memoir I read aged 12, and that my grandparents lived at Hornchurch, this has always been my number one box art painting. It was also the number one kit that I lusted after as a kid. Never got one though.

28025383737_ca04a11801_b.jpg

I so wanted this kit as well. Roy Huxley perfectly captures the power of the beast. You can almost hear the Griffon....

42032834305_0cd5b90ee9_z.jpg

Having spent from my mid teens to my thirties volunteering at the Rebel Air Museum at Andrewsfield and Earls Colne, the B-26 Marauder and the Marauder veterans played a big part in my life. Loved these two kits and the artwork as well. Had a beer with one of the pilots of Mild and Bitter, and for that matter, Flak Bait at one reunion. Great guys who loved their aeroplane.

42034039365_7e9177239f_z.jpg

29062865098_fe3766fa21_z.jpg

Great artwork again by Roy Huxley of the 397th at Rivenhall over Normandy. We rescued the blast door from the Norden bombsight store at Rivenhall for display in the museum. It still had the group's mission tally painted on the door. A great artifact, but a sod to move. It weighed a ton!

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Back when I were a lad, this would have been my favourite

matthew-teevan-sidewinder-airfix-2.jpg?1

:analintruder: That's "they're" mighty palm tree-muncher crab! :lol: It wouldn't be too hard to scratchbuild.

Nay, it wouldn't...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Haha 1

Well i like many boxarts, i could posting here 10 to 12 , but i saw the boxart of this Canadair CL-13B last time at ebay,,JA-111, mostly flown by the Commodore of JG 71 Oberst Erich Hartmann in Ahlhorn/Germany, and i like it a lot

252946-13732-14-pristine.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:analintruder: That's "they're" mighty palm tree-muncher crab! :lol: It wouldn't be too hard to scratchbuild.

Nay, it wouldn't...

Cheers,

Unc2

You're talking about the palm tree, right ?   :)

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2020 at 6:00 PM, SafetyDad said:

I grew up with Roy Cross art on Airfix boxes

Roy was a significant influence on many an impressionable young mind... not least mine :)  Tough choice but if I was forced, here are my top 3 

spacer.png

163341-27930-49-pristine.jpg

192742-32432-21-pristine.jpg

Didn't need big red boxes to sell kits in those days... just a red stripe  :thumbsup:

Edited by RichG
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

You're talking about the palm tree, right ?   :)

:rofl2: 'Course I am, Ian. Any other kind of talk regarding it would be sort of "pRoN" on here... :lol:

19 minutes ago, RichG said:

163341-27930-49-pristine.jpg

THIS! Me likes!

Yeh, me does...

Cheers,

Unc2

7 hours ago, RichG said:

Roy was a significant influence on many an impressionable young mind... not least mine :)  Tough choice but if I was forced, here are my top 3 

Didn't need big red boxes to sell kits in those days... just a red stripe  :thumbsup:

:like:  to all 3 of your choices there Rich!

And can I raise you this?

11116327_10153224311723905_5379222568739

SD

• Like 8

On 5/1/2020 at 5:16 PM, Mick4350 said:

That's what finished the rule of the dinosaurs...

Only about 145 million years out (Allosaurs lived in the late Jurassic) and a shame if it was a living fossil like the Coelacanth as they might have survived long enough to settle some of major issues around dinosaur physiology. I also note that as well as the improbable loincloth, the artist made doubly sure with the positioning of the lettering. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 8:07 PM, cmatthewbacon said:

best,

M.

Modern humans have up to 4% Neanderthal DNA. Latest thinking has it that the warming climate at the end of the last Ice Age removed most of the large animals they hunted and the warming climate did not suit them. Current evidence is that they were capable of most things modern humans are able to do, but may have lacked  the ability to think about  abstract concepts and turn them into concrete objects the way we can (not good if your neighbours can think about how to make a better bow and arrow or a sharper spear). Sorry getting all serious, this lockdown giving me way too much time to think. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

And can I raise you this?

Bit like having a favourite child🤔  Yes, I love them all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Allow me to slip this box art painting of canvas and wood in amongst all the metallic testosterone.  It has a loose, painterly quality about it that appears to me.  It inspires me to keep slogging away on my Camel WIP whenever I hit the doldrums.

Dennis

resized_92c44cb0-0ced-4fa5-9630-994bb06a

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

my own ones 

hGmjEdf.jpg

The Box Artwork is special to me 1/600 HMS Hood - I am convinced I bought this exact kit in the 1970's 

( I have built the kit three times ) - interestingly the image does not represent Hood as she was after her 1939/41 Refits 

with no 5.5 inch guns and the openings plated over - this image is of her in the 1930's .

8PXPtrW.jpg

another one - they don't make them like this anymore , I built this kit , its no too bad of the Jagdtiger 

and below - Hawker Fury - a wonderful kit to assemble , probably the easiest biplane I have ever built ( a tribute to the kit designers )

interestingly the kit sells for a lot of money on Ebay - secondhand 

JR3jnoS.jpg

ZF2HBgZ.jpg

and the best Jagdtiger illustration of all time - they definately don't make this anymore due to the ' anti-war ' anti-violence

campaigners in the the late 1970's and 1980's , I prefer action box art - and I would buy this kit - but its ssems really rare

trouble is the kit itself is really dated - and not that great - Dragon do the best Hunting Tiger 

on a side note , when i won the Ace Tanker in World of Tanks - this was the artwork I choose for the thumbnail ( as 73north )

KeMDHQT.jpg

Edited by 73north
  • Like 2

On 02/05/2020 at 21:24, Avgas said:

If I was forced to choose boxart without those biases, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, the Eduard Rockin Rhino box is a favourite. Dunno, it cheers me up - must be the flowers 🧐

3C41q5.jpg

That's a very unusual box illustration for a military aircraft.

Normally they have a wartime background but that one has the peace sign and flowers which I guess are reminiscent of the summer of love?