Your Favourite Box Art...?

Richard E

Prompted by @JOCKNEY's Airfix B-17 build, I was thinking about some of the most memorable box arts from my childhood.  

I think the two standouts from me were Roy Cross' Sunderland and B-26 Marauder, both of which I was very pleased to find under the Christmas Tree and, with some help from my father, spent many years suspended from my bedroom ceiling with cotton thread and drawing pins in close formation with my prized B-17.

spacer.png

spacer.png 

Thanks to its eye catching boxart, one of the first large kits which I bought and built myself was Airfix's "one kit builds most versions" F-4 Phantom

160774-13652-27-pristine.jpg

And whilst taking a trip down the memory lane which is the World Wide Web I stumbled over this slightly "bonkers" but very tantalising view of an alternative reality

spacer.png

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 13
  • Haha 2

I always found the Sunderland box strange, as it shows a FW200 Condor in the picture. I wonder why Airfix never offered one ? 

After all Revell and Airfix made lots of kits of the same subjects.

Wow, flying battleship and Galleons all in the same catalogue whats not to like  !

cheers Pat 

• Like 2

Some of my favourites to start with.

Heller Bf 108. This isn't the original boxing, but it's the first boxing I bought:

148589-11185-75-pristine.jpg

Heller Nord 2501 Noratlas. This is the 1980 boxing, which I managed to get c. 1991:

149866-11669-46-pristine.jpg

Airfix Pe 2:

165220-16118-79-pristine.jpg

Ye Olde Airfix Bristol Beaufighter TFX. Great artwork, shame about the kit ...

163366-12155-pristine.jpg

Airfix B-29, just before all the detail was removed:

130156-10189-pristine.jpg

ESCI King Tiger. All of the ESCI AFV kit artwork from that era was wonderful.

167277-11185-pristine.jpg

Edited by klr
  • Like 5

That Sunderland box art takes some beating but the first model I bought with my own money strikes a chord with me, the Phantom F4 USS Forrestal. It was a first line aircraft at the time and of course featured heavily in the Vietnam war which was raging then.

Brilliant transfers and made up into a really nice model although quite poignant due to what happened to Forrestal later. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

Probably these:

airfix---n-257-blenheim-mk-iv-1-72-p-ima

I was going to post the Blenheim. Unsurprisingly, the artwork for the new 1/72 Mk. IV bomber version bears a resemblance. Imitation, flattery and all that.

The time I bought the Blenheim (Christmas 1979), I also bought the dauntless:

222011-12155-10-pristine.jpg

In fact, many of my Airfix favourites were of US aircraft, particularly USN:

941073-14904-82-pristine.jpg

195832-11185-76-pristine.jpg

130409-11185-61-pristine.jpg

127715-10189-pristine.jpg

130306-10189-pristine.jpg

... and finally some USAF:

168457-25170-32-720.jpg

147037-12155-pristine.jpg

1098109-14053-98-720.jpg

• Like 3

Lots of Airfix in here.  Usually I don't pay much attention to the box art, I tend to be more interested in what's inside, but there are a few that I like from kits that I've bought/built in the past 5 years -

258801-14745-19-pristine.jpg109363-10000-pristine.jpg174713-10105-26-pristine.jpg133927-12332-64-pristine.jpg940754-12155-65-pristine.jpg128666-32432-50-720.jpg281830-11185-33-pristine.jpg192018-11185-83-pristine.jpg

Edited by RobL
  • Like 2

I cut my modelling teeth on Matchbox kits, so I havea soft spot for their box art.

I'm particularly keen on their Victor box art for its immediacy. It makes you feel like you're right there at the side of the runway just after a rain. You can almost feel the vibration under your feet and feel the spray in your face:

JNLcFOy.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, upnorth said:

I'm particularly keen on their Victor box art for its immediacy. It makes you feel like you're right there at the side of the runway just after a rain. You can almost feel the vibration under your feet and feel the spray in your face:

JNLcFOy.jpg

This! :worthy: The mother of all behemoths; next thing to a dragon spreading out "they're" wings, like...

This one I've posterised sandwiched between two sheets of polycarbonate after building the kit

spacer.png

Fell hopelessly in luv with this one the minute I laid eyes on it

spacer.png

And this one I like much better than the latter box art.

spacer.png

Yeh, me does...

Cheers,

Unc2 <--- that's because this bug has kept me feeling a tad under the weather as of late 

Add this one for "they're" obvious reason.

spacer.png

Edited by Uncle Uncool
  • Like 3

I can't find the imagery, but anyone remember the Airfix "Dogfight Double" of the Mirage III vs MiG-15?  All flaming afterburner and panicking groundcrew?  The MiG-21 vs Cessna O-2 was equally dramatic.

• Like 2

Airfix;

Cessna 0-2 vs MiG 21 - a strange one

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=968

Mirage III vs MiG 15

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=819

Both courtesy of the Airfix Tribute Forum history section

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I have several favourites too but its late, or early, 02.25.

This one for now.

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2001s.jpg

Oh yes ... another of my favourites. Again, its been imitated recently:

1121429-24595-97-720.jpg

• Like 3

I was in the Sea Cadets in the early Seventies and this was my favourite ship box-art at that time.

spacer.png

I look back on this artwork with so much nostalgia as I eventually joined the Royal Navy in 1976 and later spent over three years on another County Class Destroyer - HMS Antrim (D18).

Dave

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I've always thought that the box art for the Special Hobby Firefly Mk.5 was an absolute corker.

Oh yes, I used to have that as my desktop  picture, can't remember now where I found it.  Great picture!

I like the box art stuff ups the best. Some of my favourites;

Dropping a torpedo on the Astronauts.

wOxlGqW.jpg

Neanderthal Man trying to smash the Arora Allosaurus with a rock...what's a few million years between friends anyway?

q3o0tmM.jpg

I need a picture of Japanese soldiers, but I only have a picture of Chinese soldiers...ah well, no one will know the difference.....

4DiS5Vn.jpg

This reminds me of the new Midway movie...explosions and action and fire, more flak and explosions...no no Mr Bay, those are special effects, not story line....I don't know the difference.....

zXFehGn.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brad said:

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Neanderthal Man trying to smash the Arora Allosaurus with a rock...what's a few million years between friends anyway?

q3o0tmM.jpg

That's what finished the rule of the dinosaurs...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I was never a fan of the OTT "comic book" style box art, even as a kid.  I preferred, and still do, Tamiya's more minimalist approach.

spacer.png

I've also always loved Hasegawa's art style

spacer.png

Edited by Nev
  • Like 2