P-47D Thunderbolt Razorback (Tamiya 1/48)

Good day friends!

Here is my latest work, Oldie goldie P-47D Razorback from Tamiya. Superb kit, no major fit issues. This is the first time I've used HGW positive rivets and although they demand some extra work

(filling already made rivetholes on the kit), the result is well worth it in my opinion.

I used Eduard PE set, Quickboost engine, CMK resin wheels, HGW seatbelts, stencils and positive rivets. Decals are from Kitsworld, although the insignias were airbrushed. 

All the paints used are from MRP, weathering  was Ammo affair (oilbrushers, washes, dust effects etc.)

I hope you like it, enjoy the pics!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shashman said:

Very very nice. I bet placing those rivets was a pain!

Well, not really as they come in pretty large segments. Preping the surface before applying them was the most tedious job as the surface needs to be perfect.

The good people of Lodi, Ohio should request this from you and put it in their Welcome Center / Museum.  Congratulations on the superb results!!!!!! :clap2:

Mike

PS : Lodi, Ohio is a “stone`s throw” from where I reside.  

• Like 1

Hi Gregax,

Superb jug man! Excellent finish, especially the canopy. I love it. Well done!

What's your technique for masking the canopy? And canopy painting in general?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Nikola

14 hours ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Hi Gregax,

Superb jug man! Excellent finish, especially the canopy. I love it. Well done!

What's your technique for masking the canopy? And canopy painting in general?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Nikola

Hi Nikola. Thanks for compliments. So... canopy.

I clean it first with mild soap, then polish it with Tamiya rubbing compound (superfine) to make it really shiny. 

Masking: I usually just take the easiest way and buy precut masks - usually from Eduard. 

But I also mask the canopy from inside too. For that, I use tamiya tape and make an inside mask a bit larger than outside one. It is a tedious job.

Painting: Remember to apply paint in really light coats, don't flood the canopy with paint as it could creep under the masking tape.

So slowly build up layers of paints until it's covered. First, apply cockpit color from inside and outside of the canopy, then apply the outside camouflage paint. (i hope that make sense).

Remove the masks at the end of the build, when all the weathering and clars are sprayed. Remove the masks with toothpick - dont use tweezers as you may accidentaly scratch the canopy.

9 minutes ago, gregax said:

Hi Nikola. Thanks for compliments. So... canopy.

I clean it first with mild soap, then polish it with Tamiya rubbing compound (superfine) to make it really shiny. 

Masking: I usually just take the easiest way and buy precut masks - usually from Eduard. 

But I also mask the canopy from inside too. For that, I use tamiya tape and make an inside mask a bit larger than outside one. It is a tedious job.

Painting: Remember to apply paint in really light coats, don't flood the canopy with paint as it could creep under the masking tape.

So slowly build up layers of paints until it's covered. First, apply cockpit color from inside and outside of the canopy, then apply the outside camouflage paint. (i hope that make sense).

Remove the masks at the end of the build, when all the weathering and clars are sprayed. Remove the masks with toothpick - dont use tweezers as you may accidentaly scratch the canopy.

Thank you very much for the tips Gregax! Appreciated! 

This should definitely improve my modelling skills. :)

Best, 

Nikola

I'll admit I'm not much of a Jug fan but I have to comment here because the quality of this build and paint finish is simply exquisite. Well done sir! You've made me see there's a certain appeal in the razorback look, especially in olive drab. 😉

Edited by Vlad

5 hours ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Thank you very much for the tips Gregax! Appreciated! 

This should definitely improve my modelling skills. :)

Best, 

Nikola

You are welcome. I hope to see You on New Years Cup in Belgrade this December!