Thunderbolt

Kit - Tamiya

Paint - Alclad & AK Xtreme metal lacquers, Tamiya acrylics.

Decals - Aeromaster 48-569

Extras - Eduard placard set, Ultracast resin wheels

Republic P-47D-27 Thunderbolt

Assigned to Major Clay Tice

507th FS, 404th FG

Autumn 1944

iWcbEbV.jpg

PitiuyY.jpg

lRjN3mJ.jpg

UxyhOEN.jpg

IjrCXhC.jpg

INBbHxd.jpg

zGc5hAe.jpg

JAb4Ohf.jpg

Not too much to say in all honesty; Tamiya's still superb 2003 kit is a dream to build and really does define the 'shake & bake' kit in my opinion - this is the fourth one I've built and the first 'bubbletop'. The AK Xtreme Metal lacquers continue to astonish at just how 'user friendly' they are... just need some more tones as my choice is a wee bit more limited than I'd like, hence I used a couple of Alclads in this build.

As ever please feel free to comment, hurl abuse or ask a question. Next two projects are already on the bench and both come from boxes marked 'Airfix'.

Best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 20

Hi Ian, thanks for sharing these pics, it looks really good. Can I ask I which way did you paint, as in did you paint the Tamiya acrylics first and then the extreme metal. I ask as I finished my P51 a few days ago now and really had a struggle with the extreme metal lifting after removing a very detacked tape mask after 2 days of drying time before masking.

Thanks 

Dave.

Edited by davebruce

On 5/1/2020 at 1:13 AM, davebruce said:

Can I ask I which way did you paint, as in did you paint the Tamiya acrylics first and then the extreme metal.

Thanks 

Dave.

Only just seen this Dave, I had primered this with Rustoleum (very) dark grey acrylic shot straight from the aerosol, I left it for 48 hours or so then sanded it with 1000 grit wet'n dry & sponges until it was glassy smooth, then shot two light coats of Tamiya acrylic gloss black, again leaving it 48 hours before repeating the sanding procedure. After that I sprayed the first of the AK Xtreme tones - I use only three and depending upon the build I'll mask off two or three prominent panels or hatches and spray them with a fourth tone.

I always leave each AK tone a full 24 hours before masking and spraying the next... always seems to work-out for me, never had an issue with the coats lifting in four years.

MDhkcgf.jpg

h98FTma.jpg

HTH

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1