Tony the mistaken Italian

Hi Dennis.  I'm thinking of building a Tony myself for this GB and have been looking at artwork on Wings Palette.

There are a couple of 244th Air Group aircraft shown, the artwork being taken from a 1971 Osprey publication, copyright Richard Ward.  Both show a blue anti-dazzle panel.  I'm thinking that would be something a little different, if correct :hmmm:.

65_77.jpg

Cheers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CliffB said:

There are a couple of 244th Air Group aircraft shown, the artwork being taken from a 1971 Osprey publication, copyright Richard Ward.  Both show a blue anti-dazzle panel.  I'm thinking that would be something a little different, if correct :hmmm:.

Hello Cliff anythings possible im just going with tamiyas instructions. I say go for it as until there is proof otherwise or someone that flew or worked on these comes forward then its all best guesses isn't it ? 

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't go with a blue anti-glare panel, I believe the anti-glare was factory applied and while the colour is a very dark blue-black (similar to RAF Night) it's not visibly blue, and I've not seen any photos that would indicate use of a lighter colour than the standard application :) 

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evening everyone... First round of decals are done finally. Sorry for the delay but have a new little puppy thats getting most of my attention right now. xekrI2Q.jpg

BomPtTg.jpg

0mLkTpM.jpg

hwmzPvA.jpg

STIXkD1.jpg

I need to add a number of stencils and the obvious white tail markings.
         Im pretty happy with the camouflage decals but probably would recommend a few things. One they are very good almost too good and some spots curled, one of those was around the port side of the Radiator housing. Im missing half the decal on the rad. housing, and wont bother to fix it as its on the bottom. I wound up cutting the starboard side into smaller sections to prevent this. If you cut in between the mottles it all goes great with little obvious effect. It also prevents wrinkling of the large decals, the wings went fine.  Two the decals are pixelated but you have to get up close to see the effect so fine at this scale. I wouldn't recommend it in a larger scale though. Three the blue stripes around the intake on the side comes in three pieces and are ok but not perfect. I think my Gunze medium blue should be ok for touch-ups. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Very good effort on the decals.  👍

The puppy looks fun. Mu daughter had one of those. They have plenty of energy. 

Thanks on the Decals... Shes my second Pug so Im used to it, my last one passed in February.  

• Like 1

Hello everyone... my apologies for slow work lately but was able to finish the decals up on the Tony today.
pfhf97P.jpg

xHyFtB9.jpg

I was also able to do the touch-up on the blue stripe. upv0Sgg.jpg
Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4

That appears to have come up well Dennis. I see what you mean about the pixels on the camo but at normal viewing range on a kit in this scale would appear to be little more than a free sprayed mottle camo. Maybe what the intent was. Keen to see this in an RFI. :) 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

That appears to have come up well Dennis. I see what you mean about the pixels on the camo but at normal viewing range on a kit in this scale would appear to be little more than a free sprayed mottle camo. Maybe what the intent was. Keen to see this in an RFI. :) 

Steve.

My thoughts exactly but you expressed it much better. In a larger scale it would look like poorly made decals, in 1/72 looks like free sprayed camo. 

• Like 1

I see what you mean about the decals in the macro shots Dennis, but as Steve says from a normal viewing distance they look good. To be honest with that particular scheme I wouldn't be able to freehand that camo with the airbrush and I wouldn't have the patience (or even the basic skills) to brush-paint it, so you took the best route I think.

I'm glad you got a new dog mate. she looks like a right little character :) 

Cheers.

Stew

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'm glad you got a new dog mate. she looks like a right little character :) 

Thank you Stew ... Oh yes shes full of Viss & Pinegar as we say around here. Shes feisty and full of attitude and a total DADDY’s girl ! 😁

• Haha 2

Just caught up with this build Dennis. Excellent work. I’ve got this kit and have pondered getting the camo decals. Your’s look really good. 

Cheers Allan 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, almac said:

Just caught up with this build Dennis. Excellent work. I’ve got this kit and have pondered getting the camo decals. Your’s look really good. 

Cheers Allan 

Thank you shes almost done... I got her up on her legs today. UIxfbWD.jpg

VX8oEiX.jpg

I then painted the canopy, and will add the antenna’s after satin coat and weathering

emyXand.jpg

EBrGLoR.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking really good Dennis, that camo looks very effective in the 2nd & 3rd photos at normal distance. 👍

Steve.

What Steve said. Excellent result Dennis B) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Would it be too cheeky if I had a go in this GB at the Yontan Tony you’ve referenced earlier? Fantastic mottling by the way.

• Like 1