Tony the mistaken Italian

Hello Everybody... I will be building Tamiya’s Excellent 1/72 Kawasaki Ki.61 Tony. The plane was given the code name “Tony” by the Allies. This was because on the early visual sighting’s the allied pilots assumed they were Macchi Fighters from Italy, thus my chosen title choice. 0Gq85mw.jpg

9WyMqvm.jpg

My chosen scheme is from the 244th Sentai Home island defense from May of 1945. SdSWjUm.jpg

I splurged on the Mottle decal set from Tamiya.

8z0eJIM.jpg

Currently my air brush has a damaged part and tends to spray wrong for mottling now.

I have an alternate scheme if it all goes left field somehow. I will paint this as a captured example flown by VMF-322 & VMF-323 on Okinawa July 1945. The Yontan Tony as it became know was in an Overall gloss blue scheme with red Rudder & spinner white nose and vertical stabilizer. 

cpGBMJr.jpg

E9LDQsf.jpg

If everything goes good and the Mottle decals go good. I will eventually build this Tony ⬆️ someday. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

EDIT: I just took a count of my ongoing builds, My previous record was seven builds. With this Tony Ive beaten that and am at eight builds now. Four Spitfire’s a Mk.Vb, two Mk.VIII’s, and an Mk.IXc. Then theres my F-107, MB.5, and RF-4B Phantom. I may be slipping over the edge, as thats going to keep me busy until The Corsair group build. Hopefully some of these will be done by then, as Ive got three Corsairs waiting to go.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 12

Dennis,

Either scheme would be great, good luck with the decals although I do quite like the look of the captured example...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone... Well its about time this got started. Ive read a few build threads including Stew Dapples double build & all mention the internal color was incorrect. They mention use of Colorcoats Interior Buff green as a very good color. Now as I don't have access to Colorcoats until there is a new U.S. Distributor. I made my own from two parts Tamiya XF-71 interior green and XF-60 dark yellow. I think its darn close. cSQlz6V.jpg
This will be a slow build until my two Spitfires and P-47 are finished. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 10

Glued the fuselage halves together and placed the cockpit, rear cockpit framework, and cowling cover on tonight. It was such a beautiful fit with only one minor spot. Though thats my fault not the kit’s. I will add the photo’s of that tomorrow. 

Hello everyone... as promised photo’s from last nights session. ztwRjyf.jpg
A close up of the one little problem area, i think i nipped wrong and aggressive cleanup caused it. A smear of my home made ppp should take care of it in a few minutes. x2Box5Y.jpg

sCxNoaw.jpg

FR5Gnpv.jpg

Xzb8F58.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Morning everyone... I was able to build up and attach the wings as well as the stabilizers. I then filled the few minor gaps with my homemade PPP. lpigt3k.jpg

jOF2xGg.jpg

gaJ2aXj.jpg

D4NEf17.jpg
Please feel free to ask questions, post comments and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Looking really nice Dennis, it's quite a relaxing kit to build, isn't it? :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Yes it is Stew... Hope you don't mind but I'm pulling inspiration from your dual build from a couple years ago. Ive studied that build to try to get color and some other details correct. 

• Like 1

Hi Dennis,

No problem with that at all mate, but I'm not necessarily the best resource, I'm not above making some howlers when it comes to my interpretation of colours and/or schemes :D 

If you are interested in Japanese Army and Navy aircraft and you haven't already been there I heartily recommend Nick Millman's Aviation of Japan blog; there's so much stuff on there it's not all that easy to navigate to what you want (it goes back years!) but I generally find if you google something like "Aviation of Japan Ki-61" you'll get a good selection to look at :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis, there's no rush mate, enjoy the experience and take the time to get things done in a way that makes you happy.  Don't rush it to please the crowd and make yourself unhappy with the result.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wez said:

Dennis, there's no rush mate, enjoy the experience and take the time to get things done in a way that makes you happy.  Don't rush it to please the crowd and make yourself unhappy with the result.

No rushing here, This ones been sitting idle for two weeks and needs to move forward again. Since I have the Tamiya mottle decals its only three colors on this. Aluminum, yellow for the leading edges, and red for the tail. As all five of my builds will need a base coat of aluminum, they will all get sprayed at the same time. Then I can go about the rest of the paints in an orderly fashion. 

Nice aeroplane, I always thought it was a "looker" since a friend in my childhood was lucky enough to build the 1/32 Revell version.  I wonder how easy those camo decals will be? - intriguingly it's no new concept as similar all over decals for Mosquito camo were available back in solid wood model days!

Did I miss the recipe for homemade PPP?  Sounds like it could be useful, I've just tried PVA for filling joints that need to keep a seam visible.

Cheers

Will

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, malpaso said:

Did I miss the recipe for homemade PPP

Yes I'm still trying to get the formula correct. But its basically Tamiya fine white filler with the tan cap lacquer thinner mixed quite thoroughly. Applied to the model I wait 5-10 minutes. Once partially set I then using cotton ear buds to remove the excess. I rotate/twirl the earbuds and cross perpendicular to the panel line or gap to remove excess putty. Im still trying to get the formula correct as too much lacquer thinner and the plastic can start to get soft. It can also cause adhesion issue’s with the filler. Too little thinner and the filler doesn't want to come off easily. So far I'm running about a 2-1 ratio of filler to thinner and it seems to be ok though Id like to fine tune it. 

• Like 1

Good morning everyone... I was able to get the aluminum on this evening. tAdvQRu.jpg

RfXt8H4.jpg

PJ8Smxc.jpg

iL9WCOT.jpg

Clear coat tomorrow then i can add the leading edge yellow and red tail. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Forgot to add the group photo. YpIfw82.jpg

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

Evening everyone... I was able to spray the yellow leading edges, and red tail today. That was the firs two of the successful colors sprayed.

5e6HBNP.jpg

18YqNTD.jpg

zxkVSxt.jpg

sfchx70.jpg

I gambled on a fourth color but that turned into an nasty failure. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 3