A41 Centurion, Operation Sentry

Development of the Centurion tank began in 1943.  The intention was to take the experience gained from the design of the Cromwell and Comet cruiser tanks, together with some design aspects of the Panther and T-34 tanks to build a tank was capable of taking on the best that the world could offer.  The Directorate of Tank Design succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

The resulting A41 Centurion simply outclassed every single one of its contemporaries.  It was capable of surviving a medium range hit from an 88mm round and its cross country performance was better than that of even the early British cruiser tanks although the reliability was an order of magnitude better.  Add to that the power of the 17 pdr gun, and the Centurion was clearly a winner.

After its service introduction in 1945 the Centurion set the standard for main battle tanks for the next two decades.  Modified versions were still in service in the early 21st century.

The Centurion was too late to see combat in the Second World War, but a number of pre-series vehicles were sent for field trials in Belgium and Germany  in late May 1945, codenamed Operation Sentry.  This model represents one of those vehicles.

I will be using the AFV Club Centurion Mk.III kit with the Accurate Armour conversion kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't mind confessing that this whole project terrifies me!  :door: 

• Like 15

Good luck with this one Enzo, the Centurion is another one of those clanky targets which fascinates me along with the Firefly.

• Like 1

Okay, here's Why This Project Terrifies Me, Part 1.

There are just so many parts!!!!   I have a feeling that this is basically the Centurion Mk.5 kit with extra sprues to provide Mk.3 specific parts,  For example, there are two glacis plate parts in the kit as well as two complete turrets.  Lots of other stuff as well, so that I am totally lost!

The only part in this photo that will actually be used is the lower hull.   The mantlet cover is squidgy vinyl.  I wonder how well it will hold paint.  Just for future reference as I eventually intend to build a Centurion Mk.3 which will need the cover.

spacer.png

Don't like the look of those rubber tyres.  :fraidnot: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

:phew: 

• Like 6

Why This Project Terrifies Me, Part 2

To start off with, we have an incredibly complex (not to mention expensive) kit.   Now I'm going to throw a bit of resin at it. 

Okay...   more than a bit.  :D   The Accurate Armour conversion kit provides almost a complete upper hull; different suspension parts: different tracks and a complete new turret.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The turret is a single casting  :wub:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thankfully, AA provide a very comprehensive instruction booklet.

spacer.png

Oh...   remember how I said I didn't like the look of the kit roadwheels with their seperate vinyl tyres?   Well, I won't be using them.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Why This Project Terrifies Me, Part 3

There is a lot of work to be done there and the GB is shorter than usual - about the same length as an STGB. 

But I'm going to take Pat Benetar's advice and hit it with my best shot.  :D

So...   why didn't I just simply use the AFV Club boxing of the Centurion Mk.I ?  Well, where's the fun in that?   :D   Besides it's not available yet and I had the Mk.III kit and conversion set already in The Stash. 

Building from The Stash, people!  :yahoo: 

• Like 5

The thing that bothers me with anything to do with tanks is I don't really know a damn thing about them!  I mean I know and understand how they work but the terminology is so totally different from aircraft and floaty things, what the hooting heck is a glacis?  To me a mantle is what some birds and other critters do to stop their food being nicked by other critters!  What is it?

And then how do you paint and weather the damn things, you see some of the wonderful jobs done by the AFV modellers on here and I think there's NO WAY I could do anything like that!

Seriously, good luck my friend, I shall be following this build as I might learn something of the whiles and ways of the mysterious clanky beasties!

55 minutes ago, Wez said:

what the hooting heck is a glacis?

It's the slopy bit at the front.  :lol:  

55 minutes ago, Wez said:

Seriously, good luck my friend, I shall be following this build as I might learn something of the whiles and ways of the mysterious clanky beasties!

You and me both!

• Like 1

Looks a good project. At least it seems the mantlet cover is cast into the turret casting itself, so no problem with the vinyl.

Davey.

• Like 1

Okay... deep breath and then dive in.  Hold on tight, rider!!!

The first stap is easy peasy, lemon squeezy! :)  Remove the turret support brackets from the lower hull edges, otherwise the resin parts will not fit.

spacer.png

Next, I removed some of the upper hull parts from their casting blocks and compared them to the kit parts they will replace,  (The kit part for the glacis plate is umop aps!dn  :banghead: )

spacer.png

• Like 3

Stop messing around, Matrix!  Build something!!!  :angrysoapbox.sml:

The kit suspension is designed to be workable.  There are some real springs supplied, which look good.  However, as the tracks will be rigid resin, having workable suspenion will just complicate matters.  Besides, the assembly is easier. :lol: 

The forward and rear suspension units have rod assemblies.  The centre units do not.  The kit accounts for these nicely.  However, the Mk.I Centurion had a very different centre suspension unit, which is supplied be AA as resin parts (shown on the right)

spacer.png

Assembled, with my usual ballast weights added in the hull.

spacer.png

The ballast weights are not essential.  I just like tank models to have a bit of heft...

• Like 3

Accurate Armour have provided a lot of attention to detail.  The Mk.III Centurion had reinforcement ribs on the drive sprocket transmission housings.  The Mk.I did not.  Rather than just allowing the modeller to sand the ribs off, AA provide resin parts for the earlier housing.

spacer.png

This is typical of the attention to detail shown throughout the AA conversion kit.

Now we come to my first bodge-up of the build.  No doubt the first of many!  :shrug: 

This is a very complex kit and it is essential to pay close attention to the instructions.   I didn't at first, and I assembled the arms of one of the suspension units back to front. In that configuration, the foul the drive sprocket transmission housing.

spacer.png

🤫  don't tell anyone.  I'm hoping no one will notice as they should be hidden behind the side armour...

• Like 5

Accurate Armour set a high standard at the time- at a price.

It's really depressing that the country that invented the tank only built one good one- a really good one... too late for WW2 service. Not for nothing did David Fletcher call his book The Great Tank Scandal.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This thread hasn't been updated in quite some time.  There's a reason for that.  I had a complete and utter disaster with two of the roadwheels - entirely of my own doing.  :wall:    I tried to see if I could use some of the kit wheels. I thought it might work as they are partially hidden behind the sideskirts.

Well...  it just didn't look right.  I ordered some more wheels from AA and they have just arrived.  So now we can proceed - and I have lots of spare roadwheels for future Centurion projects! :) 

The Spreadsheet tells me that if I stick to The Plan I can still finish within the GB time limits. 

Finally got going with this one.

Running gear complete.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On to the tracks.  Accurate Armour provide these as resin strips.  The idea is that they should be bent into shape by heating them so the resin becomes pliable.  You can do this in two ways:  immersing the part in hot water or heating it with a hair dryer.  Considering the amount of hair I have, I don't own a hair dryer so I took the former option.  :lol:  

One section is in its pristine state.  The other has been formed to the required shape.

spacer.png

And fitted in place.

spacer.png

Tracks fitted.  A little untidy along the top run, but that will be hidden by the side skirts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then primed with black auto primer and some coats of Lifecolor UA270 SCC-15 Olive drab sprayed on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I painted the wheels and tyres over the weekend and followed up with spraying the tracks using Vallejo Panzer Aces track primer.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then some work this evening.  I started off with the resin glacis plate and the kit running boards, which have to be cut down to match the glacis part.

spacer.png

Added to the hull and followed up with the relevant resin and kit parts as detailed in the AA instruction booklet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Suddenly I have a tank!  :fool: 

spacer.png

• Like 2

I was always under the impression that the Centurion was developed from the earlier cruiser tanks such as the Cromwell.  

In theory that may have been true, but it certainly wasn't a linear development.  Maybe developed using experience from the Cromwell.   The Centurion is significantly larger than the Cromwell, as you can see by comparing it to my concurrent Cromwell build in the They Also Serve GB.

spacer.png

The Centurion is a similar size to the Panther, which makes sense as the Panther was the vehicle that the Centurion was designed to counter.

Incidentally, there's about a hundred quid's worth of AA resin in that photo as the Cromwell uses significant amounts as well.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Having added the resin storage boxes to the hull, I then masked the running gear and primed with my usual grey auto primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

The metal 17-pounder barrel was added to the turret, plus the resin hatches.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the whole assembly was primed again.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2