RFI: Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter Nightfighter

Greetings Brits...  Here is another kit done by lockdown...  This is a Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter...  Its a really nice kit and this one is build out of the box...  with kit decals...  I had some help on this forum for a better appearance for the nacelle lips other than the copper called out in the kit.  I decided on a testors 'jet exhaust' color which is like burned steel which was one of the options postulated.  I think it looks good, some day I may overspray some light burned iron, but this looks good under my display case lighting...

Here it is on the workbench when I just finished it...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Avgas said:

Looks great! Love the head on with the beautifully painted pilot staring at me.

Yea...  I am not sure if he ducks down to peek thru that gunsight...  Its very low mounted on the base of the windshield...  But maybe with 10 guns blazing, its not needed!

BTW, These are kit canopies...  I do not prep them, just usually use eduard masks, but this one I had to do by hand because I could not find a mask for it.

I dont 'future' my canopies or polish them in any way...  I dont really know how!  Glad you like them...

17 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

That’s a lovely build and finish, the sheen on the black looks spot on, what paint do you use?

Hi Farmerboy...  It was an experiment...  I used Mr Color #C92 semi gloss black over a preshade of testors Model Master Flat Dark Engine Grey which looks almost like a dark Euro Grey I from the 1980's Euro 1 cammo scheme.  The panels are painted only, letting the overspray cover the grey highlighting the panel lines.  I wanted to preshade, but wondered how to do that on a all black plane...  But this looks really good to me and breaks up the monotone of the all black and makes it look realistic...  The Flat Grey in the panel line preshade contrasts the semi gloss black on the smooth surfaces and the difference in flat/semi gloss adds depth and interest...  it looks good...

8 hours ago, bedford said:

Wow, rarely seen 1/48 figures like yours. I'm stunned, what's your secret ?

Hi Bedford...

I am not an expert figure painter at all!  I simply paint the figure carefully in Tamiya colors as called out and use the Tamiya Figure accent wash and the Tamiya dark brown wash on the uniforms...  Then I hit it in flat clear to lock in the highlights.  Its easy to do and I really love the results!

14 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Hi Bedford...

I am not an expert figure painter at all!  I simply paint the figure carefully in Tamiya colors as called out and use the Tamiya Figure accent wash and the Tamiya dark brown wash on the uniforms...  Then I hit it in flat clear to lock in the highlights.  Its easy to do and I really love the results!

Thank you for the tip. Will try out.