Hi guys,

I am supposed to be taking a break from GBs due to the massive backlog I have causing me to start to not enjoy the hobby. However, as I have been making quite a dent in my unfinished pile (and actually having fun in the process), I couldn't resist this one. After watching 633 Sqn in (I think) 1982, I had to immediately build a Mossie, and as luck would have it, the local paper shop had one in stock. I rushed out to buy it and had built, painted and decalled it by the end of the following day, resulting in a very happy 9 year old!

I love Matchbox kits for their simplicity and my nostalgia. There are issues with this kit but I am not going to go overboard in resolving them. I have replacement wheels, a replacement canopy from a Falcon set, and may use some etched brass from the Airwaves set if I can get them to fit. I am looking forward to getting started as it has already rekindled some happy memories!

Dave

IMG_20200426_175014

• Like 23

Hi Dave, This one should be really interesting to follow with the etch improvements on the old kit.

Don’t you just love those matchbox instructions, side opening boxes, 3 coloured parts trees, and zero stencil data decals 🤗 yum

• Like 1

It's so nice to see another one of my favourite Matchbox kits making an appearance. It is so well engineered, that after completing my bomber version build a few years ago, I put it on a stand and stuck a fan in front of it and the props spun beautifully. I'll post a picture after you've done yours (if it's OK with you).

Speaking also as a collector of kits, that box is a 1st issue minter :jealous:.

• Like 6

Nice! I remember building this one too, way back in the mid eighties. I think I must have built the bomber version as I remember using some midnight blue humbrol or something similar and the fighter nose was kept in my long gone spares box from my original modelling foray.  Looking forward to seeing you build this one.

• Like 1

Great choice Dave. As I couldn’t find nor afford the Frog kit, this Matchbox Mossie was the basis for a back-dated conversion to a Mk.IV using the Airfix kits wings and engines. I remember thinking at the time that this was an expensive way to go, but making a version that was not supplied OOB was something that drove my motivation. Funnily enough would you believe it still exists to this day! 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 2

Mint box, parts still on the sprues, all complete. I would have trouble building this one, but that's the quirky collector side of me.

The other side of the argument, if there is one, is that you are adding to your own history by building the kit. Linking memories like this is a good thing. The joy of it all is, no matter what you do with the kit, it will be the right choice! 😁

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 1

Dave,

The Frog kit is said to have a problem with the wing being in the wrong place. As I recall the Matchbox kit was a BIX/NF30 and as such had the "universal radar nose" option and the later Merlins with the deeper chin radiators - which both were a first at the time in 1/72 I believe - lots of conversion possibilities here. Unfortunately mine got scrapped a few years ago.

Pete 

• Like 1

I've never built this kit. Not sure why because I've done the Airfix kit several times. 

I remember thinking that the best way to get a decent MkIV would be by using both kits but I never got round to it before the Tamiya kit came along and rendered the subject moot. 

John 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry for the delay, I have been trying to finish some other stuff as well as a lot of DIY but I have finally made a start. The etch is not exactly accurate but it does add some detail to the cockpit. It fits reasonably well but I need to do some touching up. I have also been busy painting the other parts (more pics to follow).

IMG_20200506_135230

• Like 10

You are further on than I am! The fuselage is assembled, complete with aircrew (which I normally leave out) as these were very important when I was a child. Being Matchbox there are some large gaps which will need to be filled, but she is taking shape at least.

IMG_20200514_201341

• Like 9

A bit more progress with the general shape being apparent. I have had to fit the undercarriage now (which I wouldn't normally do) due to the way it has been designed, and the fit of the nacelles to the wings is awful. There has been some liberal application of filler but more fettling will be required. The good thing is I am actually enjoying modelling again!

IMG_20200522_122128

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

You beat me to it! She is all cammed up, awaiting decalling. I was going to apply decals for a different airframe on the squadron, but due to laziness I will be using the kit decals.

IMG_20200612_192903

• Like 8

Yup. I sprayed the grey and masked it before realising it should be the other way around. As it will be sitting on my shelf and not going for any competitions I thought sod it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rafalbert said:

Yup. I sprayed the grey and masked it before realising it should be the other way around. As it will be sitting on my shelf and not going for any competitions I thought sod it!

Haha i know the feeling sometimes 🙂

no one will notice anyway

• Like 1