Falklands Warrior - Harrier Gr.3

7 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Nice build of a GR3 Harrier,

Just one incredibly small accuracy criticism, something I see on a lot of Harrier GR3 builds. (also on GR1/T2/T4 Builds!) The aircraft in the Falklands had guns fitted in the gunpods. Your gunpods depict the pods without guns fitted, as they have the cone shaped wooden barrel blanks fitted to the front of the pods. these should be cut off and "30mm barrel" size holes should be visible.

It was usual to fly blanked gunpods on field exercises in Germany,  but in general guns in pods were normally fitted to all squadron aircraft, so the wooden cone shaped blanks were seldom seen in practice.

Simple  1st generation Harrier gunpod rule; 

Gunpod with cone shaped wooden barrel blank = empty pod no gun fitted.

Gunpod with open barrel apature= 30mm ADEN gun fitted.

Selwyn

Thank you for the hint.:cheers: I only cut of the tip of the kit pods and added a neddle for the barrels, but after looking closer to some reference pics now i see what you mean. There is no barrel visible in the original, so on my next Harrier i will only open the holes and don´t add barrels.

8 minutes ago, _alfisti_ said:

Thank you for the hint.:cheers: I only cut of the tip of the kit pods and added a neddle for the barrels, but after looking closer to some reference pics now i see what you mean. There is no barrel visible in the original, so on my next Harrier i will only open the holes and don´t add barrels.

In real life there was a cylindrical blast suppressor that covered the gun barrel inside the front fairing (it was a metallic coppery red colour) it wasn't really visible even in 1.1 scale unless you really got close and peered  down the barrel hole. The actual gun barrel was about 7-8 cm back from the hole in the front of the gun pod.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Great build, wonderful finish and weathering. Researching for my GR3 as part of the Falklands War 40th Anniversary GB. If mine is half as good I'll be happy!

1 hour ago, _alfisti_ said:

Hi.

Tamiya xf-4 was used for the chipping.

Thanks.  I was thinking it might be XF-4.  It looks fantastic.  Well done.  Did you apply it with a sponge?