"The Spook" Revell P-61b Black Widow

49827665016_03c5567f93_b.jpg

I tried to build this kit many times when I was younger but always had issues with the canopy and I think that's the furthest I got.

Two years ago I had done a darn good job on a B-25 Mitchell and last year it crash landed in a move so hopefully this doesnt go the same route.

I haven't officially decided if the aircraft depicted will be "The Spook" as I have 4 other versions I could do sans the original kit decals but this will be fully tuned up.  I have a vacform canopy, three different types of cowling and resin engines, an interior and exterior eduard PE set, gun barrels, and more.

Really going to be interested in how I get that black to look so good like the other pro modellers do.

• Like 8

I've got one of these on the go at the moment. You are right about the glazing, the fit is terrible. I managed to fix it but replacement clear parts will be a very good idea.

Good luck with the build, it's an impressive beast once done.

IMG-0937.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2020 at 10:03, modelling minion said:

Ooh, a big Widow! Excellent!

I shall follow your build with interest as I have one of these in the stash.

Welcome to the GB!

Yeah I think that’s what I’ll be going with.

On 28/04/2020 at 23:09, Hewy said:

Cool, looks like your throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it too beazer

and I just received my external PE set too!

49868080611_0dbcb72119_b.jpg

Haven’t decided what’s going to be green vs yellow but I figured green is easy to paint over anyways.

I did not anticipate how huge of a build this was going to be.  Tons of removal, tons of little PE bits to add, and tons of sanding and ensuring proper fit.  

There was a site that said precisely what should be painted black versus interior Green(whether it’s Dark Dull Green or Northrop Green) versus Zinc Chromate Yellow.

If I cant find it again I’ll have to go with artistic effort but I’m sure all of the interior working surfaces were the green and dials and rio panel was black.  Structure would have stayed YZC.

Theres also a ton of stuff that I couldn’t put in a photo that’s received the Vallejo Interior Yellow.

With a vacuform canopy I’ll be pretty impressed once this interior is done.  Biggest worry is the gaps and joints on the outside.

• Like 4

My grandfather got me this kit for my 12th birthday. It was my first one with an extensive interior. I remember having so much fun with it. Seeing your interior shots is bringing back some really pleasant memories. Its also making me miss my grandad. 

I hope you're enjoying the project. I'll be following along closely. 

• Like 3

49923223562_e3f08820d8_b.jpg

Sooooo much photoetch.  Boxes and little knobs and a Pain for a B model.

Also had to leave out a couple things on the inside and the instrument panel with all the PE doesn’t sit well but I’m not going to worry too much about it.  
Good news is all I have left is some minor decalling inside and to give it a wash and flat coat as per the usual.

Moved ahead and started with the weapon systems and most likely just going to keep everything closed up canopy wise to minimize the masking especially if I have to rough in the canopy to the fuselage which already will need a fair bit of cleanup As I can remember when I was younger.

• Like 8

On 5/22/2020 at 10:08 PM, modelling minion said:

That really is a fantastic looking interior, great work!

+1 that looks stunning. Amazing how you can transform this old kit.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 10:40 PM, Beazer said:

There was a site that said precisely what should be painted black versus interior Green(whether it’s Dark Dull Green or Northrop Green) versus Zinc Chromate Yellow.

If I cant find it again I’ll have to go with artistic effort but I’m sure all of the interior working surfaces were the green and dials and rio panel was black.  Structure would have stayed YZC.

Would this be what you were looking for?

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part2.htm

Pete

• Like 1

49944097981_b3c350106d_b.jpg

49944390602_01fdb7b223_b.jpg

Finished the last of the detail painting.  Added some scrapes and dings that appear more apparent in person.   

I'm really pleased with the cockpit so far and have now glued it together in hopes this old beast cooperates without too much filler and sanding( rolls eyes).

This is really gonna take till August and I kind of wanted to start three more models.

• Like 8

49945478682_b1fbc19262_b.jpg

49945185826_599d0188ac_b.jpg

49945185806_bc495bcf6a_b.jpg 49945478667_b99ccb1e1f_b.jpg

As you can tell with it all closed up, there will be some cleanup of the seams.  The vacuform canopy worries me as I've never used that before and I tend to be a bit of a klutz and smash things.  

It will be nice to show off all the nice interior stuff however.

Funny note:  Using a ton of lead weight in the nose and super thin superglue and then using ca accelerator ends up in superglue everywhere and some damn hot plastic.  I thought it was going to melt and then my fingers got stuck to it.  Had to do quite a bit of sanding to clean it up.  Hopefully it doesnt show through the final finish too much but if it does I'm accounting for weather beaten paint and damage from sorties.

• Like 7

49947709052_a3a7e32da8_b.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo but in that nose gear bay is a bunch more PE.  In my haste I forgot to add the whole lot and had to modify some items to fit it all in there.  Luckily nothing is noticeable.

The PE bracing for the open port with access to that one gun barrel was fiddly as hell and I needed two more hands just to have it aligned properly.  So many fiddly parts.

Seams are sanded down now and everything is ok except that nose.  Just going to rescribe the line and deal with it I think.  Dont want to remove too much detail.

Next I'll be moving on to the wings.  Im sure the intakes will be soooo much fun.

• Like 5