Catalina PBY-5A - Airfix 1/72

CedB

29 minutes ago, CedB said:

Now you know I normally enjoy internals, but even I have my limits.

So I'm going with the kit parts and concentrating on the outsides… I'm not very good at silk purses…

Not true, but carry on. 

If you're not going to add internals, that will give me a pass when I start building me old Revell Cat.  Cheers!

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CedB said:

did look for the i/p on the transfer sheet but oh no, you're supposed to cut out that part of the instructions.

So that was very usual with the old Airfix kits. I'm wondering if Airfix is so short of money not to put a state of art decal onto their (new) decal sheet :shrug::mental:

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi Ced,

I wonder if you haven't met the kit from Hell? 

There are oldies but goldies, ad then there is the Airfix Catalina...

I have the very old box, and I did start the kit years ago... I went as far as starting t deepen the wheel rims, that are too flat int he kit. Then I read something about the shortness of life, and the kit went straight back to the stash, to be forgotten until some archeologists of the future unearth it....

But anyway, you have a long life line, so enjoy!

JR

• Haha 5

38 minutes ago, perdu said:

Don't blame you for minimising the fiddly and unreasonably invisible bits Ced

You won't need bunks either...

At this scale he won’t need the toilet roll next to the chem toilet that I saw in a “cut away” model at Telford a year or so ago either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Gosh but this kit seems to have gotten too close to a black hole at some point in its history - that's going to present some challenges even just concentrating on the outsides alone Ced.

No problem for the Tool God of course.... :winkgrin:

• Haha 6

A bit late now but there’s a colour photo of a coastal command aircrew (Fortress in this case) in RAF of WW2 in Colour.  They are wearing a mix of Irvine and BD jackets. Chip bag hats except the pilot who’s got his cap on, his BD jacket is darker blue as he’s RAAF.  It’s May and sunny I’m Benbecula but the ones with Irvines look lower ranks so may be gunners or others on the more exposed positions?  All wearing Mae Wests that are a sandy yellow compared to the trainer yellow prop tips.  Boots are a mix of the zip front or the canvas upper half type, all with heavy sea boot socks - I bet your feet felt the cold sitting around for ten hours in a draughty plane even in mid summer.

There’s other photos with a Beaufort pilot in BD (sunny Cornish January) and A Sunderland pilot in BD jacket alongside his co- pilot who’s wearing an Irvine.  
So it looks like the rules were wear what you’re comfortable in to do your job.  Pilots often have lighter clothing as they were very physically active hauling those old planes around the sky, whereas everyone else aboard would be fairly still for 95% of a sortie.

The Fortress crew photo says it’s an IWM photo but here it is in the Etienne de Plesis Flickr set:

Coastal Command Fortress  1943.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Will

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

No problem for the Tool God of course....

Are you suggesting that Ced should acquire a plastic injection moulding machine and a new quarter ton mould that needs a Catalina-shaped hole in it? If he can get the machine and a block of steel then I guess all he needs is a CAD wizard with an interest in aeroplanes :whistle:

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

As I said earlier if any of you lot have the new Airfix Jeep set it comes with a pair of .303s to be used on and SAS version (which they haven't released yet)

If a couple of you have a Jeep or two that you are doing a US or British in Europe version, they will be extras.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Not true, but carry on. 

If you're not going to add internals, that will give me a pass when I start building me old Revell Cat.  Cheers!

Rgds

Martin

Cheers Martin - consider the pass issued! :) 

16 hours ago, perdu said:

Don't blame you for minimising the fiddly and unreasonably invisible bits Ced

You won't need bunks either...

Thanks Bill - or any of the other great bits you added to yours :) 

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

So that was very usual with the old Airfix kits. I'm wondering if Airfix is so short of money not to put a state of art decal onto their (new) decal sheet :shrug::mental:

Cheers

I don't know either Ben - stuck on now (see below) :) 

15 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Ced,

I wonder if you haven't met the kit from Hell? 

There are oldies but goldies, ad then there is the Airfix Catalina...

I have the very old box, and I did start the kit years ago... I went as far as starting t deepen the wheel rims, that are too flat int he kit. Then I read something about the shortness of life, and the kit went straight back to the stash, to be forgotten until some archeologists of the future unearth it....

But anyway, you have a long life line, so enjoy!

JR

Thanks Jean :D As you say, sometimes life's too short!

15 hours ago, Whofan said:

At this scale he won’t need the toilet roll next to the chem toilet that I saw in a “cut away” model at Telford a year or so ago either.

Thanks John :) I shan't be wasting any toilet roll I can assure you!

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Gosh but this kit seems to have gotten too close to a black hole at some point in its history - that's going to present some challenges even just concentrating on the outsides alone Ced.

No problem for the Tool God of course.... :winkgrin:

Thanks Tony, kind of you :) 

14 hours ago, malpaso said:

A bit late now but there’s a colour photo of a coastal command aircrew (Fortress in this case) in RAF of WW2 in Colour.  They are wearing a mix of Irvine and BD jackets. Chip bag hats except the pilot who’s got his cap on, his BD jacket is darker blue as he’s RAAF.  It’s May and sunny I’m Benbecula but the ones with Irvines look lower ranks so may be gunners or others on the more exposed positions?  All wearing Mae Wests that are a sandy yellow compared to the trainer yellow prop tips.  Boots are a mix of the zip front or the canvas upper half type, all with heavy sea boot socks - I bet your feet felt the cold sitting around for ten hours in a draughty plane even in mid summer.

There’s other photos with a Beaufort pilot in BD (sunny Cornish January) and A Sunderland pilot in BD jacket alongside his co- pilot who’s wearing an Irvine.  
So it looks like the rules were wear what you’re comfortable in to do your job.  Pilots often have lighter clothing as they were very physically active hauling those old planes around the sky, whereas everyone else aboard would be fairly still for 95% of a sortie.

The Fortress crew photo says it’s an IWM photo but here it is in the Etienne de Plesis Flickr set:

Coastal Command Fortress  1943.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Will

Great photo, thanks Will :)  Never too late - they're not in yet! I shall 'adjust' the colours accordingly (a bit)

14 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Are you suggesting that Ced should acquire a plastic injection moulding machine and a new quarter ton mould that needs a Catalina-shaped hole in it? If he can get the machine and a block of steel then I guess all he needs is a CAD wizard with an interest in aeroplanes :whistle:

:rofl2:

14 hours ago, Harley John said:

Sunny in May on Benbecula equates to a temperature of about -15C if I remember from my brief visits to it!

Brrrr, that's chilly! Thanks John :) 

14 hours ago, rob85 said:

Well I’m sorry I mentioned the warp now, I may have jinxed it!! That’s rather frustrating.

Rob

Not your fault Rob - I think everyone knows it's a bi of a dog (or should that be cat?) :D 

4 hours ago, philp said:

As I said earlier if any of you lot have the new Airfix Jeep set it comes with a pair of .303s to be used on and SAS version (which they haven't released yet)

If a couple of you have a Jeep or two that you are doing a US or British in Europe version, they will be extras.

Thanks Phil :) Please don't worry; it's a good idea but I think I can probably find some bits in the spares box.

As usual last night I watched 'Question Time' with some wine.

As usual 'some wine' became 'more wine' as the frustration level rose…

I don't know why I do it.

Of course there after effects this morning.

I don't know why I do it.

I've tried to ponder the gun mounts but I'm trying to think and nothing happens.

Later maybe.

I cut out the i/p with some margin and glued it on with white glue. Good job I did, it's too small:

49839896303_68982fdd65_n.jpg 49840734372_207fff36c3_n.jpg

Internals ready:

49840773667_e4cfaed666_z.jpg

Stop laughing at the back.

You won't be able to see much anyways:

49840780377_8288bb67b5_z.jpg

One thing I've noticed though is this:

49840900067_d2a17d75da_z.jpg

The instructions don't show it, at all.

They also don't mention this:

49840664671_e77f4fc1ed_z.jpg

Remember that Wikipedia said "six 0.303 in guns (one in bow, four in waist blisters and one aft of the hull step)"?

I think this is where it goes?

49840128508_7f39078471_z.jpg

I think that 'dent' bottom right is supposed to be a hole.

Unless you stop me, I shall make it so…

• Like 12

I recall reading the the tail window would be pulled into the tail if weapons were to be operated Ced

I don't think having holes in that window which would be right in the landing spray plume, would be much of a plan

The kit doesn't have a weapon for that anyway ISTR

• Thanks 1

Excellent start Ced! I built this old thing long ago in the same scheme - think I chucked it as I seem to remember making a pig's ear of aligning the wing sections.

One question - I know you're building her wheels up but do the current version of the instructions tell you to add nose weight anywhere? They didn't when I built it, and if they do now it is entirely due to a sniffy letter to Airfix written by Kid Vulcanicity aged about 13...

• Haha 6

I managed to score an old Airmodel conversion for the raised tail of the Cosford example today. Just need to figure out how I am going to do the clipper nose. It will most likely feature a lot of carving of laminated plastic card.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Remember that Wikipedia said "six 0.303 in guns (one in bow, four in waist blisters and one aft of the hull step)"?

I think this is where it goes?

49840128508_7f39078471_z.jpg

I think that 'dent' bottom right is supposed to be a hole.

Unless you stop me, I shall make it so…

Commonly referred to as the tunnel gun position, try this photo. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Consolidated_PBY-1_.30_cal_tunnel_gun_position_30Sep36_mfr_2982_(16161467058).jpg

Dennis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2020 at 7:09 PM, Harley John said:

Sunny in May on Benbecula equates to a temperature of about -15C if I remember from my brief visits to it!

Gale-force fog & horizontal rain.  Any sunny periods decidedly fleeting. 

• Haha 2

I wonder how waterproof that tunnel gun hatch was.

Talking of the weather, last weekend the afternoon temperatures were around 26C, the last three days 15C with heavy rain and high winds and on Monday it's forecast to be 25C! Crazy.

I think the virus is affecting the weather now.

Stay safe everyone.

John

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, giemme said:

:hmmm: I see this kit is putting up a good fight with you, Ced... It's gonna be very interesting :D :popcorn:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

21 hours ago, perdu said:

I recall reading the the tail window would be pulled into the tail if weapons were to be operated Ced

I don't think having holes in that window which would be right in the landing spray plume, would be much of a plan

The kit doesn't have a weapon for that anyway ISTR

Thanks Bill - no holes, got it :)

'ISTR'? Sorry old chap, don't understand your banter…

21 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Excellent start Ced! I built this old thing long ago in the same scheme - think I chucked it as I seem to remember making a pig's ear of aligning the wing sections.

One question - I know you're building her wheels up but do the current version of the instructions tell you to add nose weight anywhere? They didn't when I built it, and if they do now it is entirely due to a sniffy letter to Airfix written by Kid Vulcanicity aged about 13...

Thanks Phil :) No mention of nose weight in the instructions - perhaps the ladder at the back helps?

15 hours ago, Martian said:

I managed to score an old Airmodel conversion for the raised tail of the Cosford example today. Just need to figure out how I am going to do the clipper nose. It will most likely feature a lot of carving of laminated plastic card.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian :) Clipper nose? How about buying a 3D printer? :wicked:

14 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Wow Ced, Question Time & this beastie! Give up on QT & concentrate on this.

Good idea Phil - QT is not good for my mental health! :) 

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Commonly referred to as the tunnel gun position, try this photo. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Consolidated_PBY-1_.30_cal_tunnel_gun_position_30Sep36_mfr_2982_(16161467058).jpg

Dennis

Thanks Dennis - brilliant! Just what I needed :) 

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Gale-force fog & horizontal rain.  Any sunny periods decidedly fleeting. 

Outer Hebrides - bit too far North for me Crisp :D 

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I wonder how waterproof that tunnel gun hatch was.

Talking of the weather, last weekend the afternoon temperatures were around 26C, the last three days 15C with heavy rain and high winds and on Monday it's forecast to be 25C! Crazy.

I think the virus is affecting the weather now.

Stay safe everyone.

John

Good point John :) It is above the waterline and behind the step, but I bet it leaked…

Weird weather you're having eh?

Quick session this morning.

Sprayed the Interior Green:

49844667816_311dae788b_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Quite pleased about that as I'd bought two bottles of VMA .010 before I realised it's not Interior Grey Green :doh:

Filled the ladder hole too:

49844971942_12a8268e67_z.jpg

Just need to remember to sand it.

The crew had their jackets painted:

49845011867_ca443f2f72_z.jpg

Mae Wests and sheepskin to do.

Other internals finished:

49844162738_abd595932a_z.jpg

'Vintage Airfix', that's the look I'm going for :whistle:

• Like 14
  • Haha 4

Proper job Ced.

Looks goodly good.

Now then, 'banter'.

ISTR  =  I Seem To Recall.

Not my own banter but to be fair I haven't seen it used a lot lately, showing my age?

Probably.

Nice photo of the tunnel position, as you see no holes in the window but replace the window with a .030" cal.

Nice work persuading the Martian that he needs a 3D printer, oh yes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CedB said:

Vintage Airfix', that's the look I'm going for

Must be masochistic month of work to finish that little gem of an office. Great work. Sadly not much will be seen at the. end.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Proper job Ced.

Looks goodly good.

Thanks Bill :) 

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Now then, 'banter'.

ISTR  =  I Seem To Recall.

Not my own banter but to be fair I haven't seen it used a lot lately, showing my age?

Probably.

Nice photo of the tunnel position, as you see no holes in the window but replace the window with a .030" cal.

Nice work persuading the Martian that he needs a 3D printer, oh yes.

Ah, got it, sorry :) Good idea to replace the window too… if only I could find some 303s! See below…

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

Must be masochistic month of work to finish that little gem of an office. Great work. Sadly not much will be seen at the. end.

Cheers

Thanks Ben. True :D 

The crew are done:

49845011806_9971060db1_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

'orrible lot.

Now then, the hunt for 303s:

49844683963_69411cb901_z.jpg

You would have thought I'd have found more than this:

49845544327_67844020d2_z.jpg

49844698153_7e662398ee_z.jpg

… but no.

The ones on stands look like a good start so I'll think about using those and scratch the other gun…

• Like 8

It isn't a lot to do, scratching the mgs

catpb29.jpg

Left are a pair of 0.050" Brownings

Right a pair of 0.030" Brownings, basically like the guns you need

10mm scale on the cutting board for sizes

You need the deflector shaped flash eliminators for the 0.303" barrels and add the gas tube below the barrel just a bit closer to the barrel as on the picture you posted here

aaipka2m4y401.jpg

These will be ideal, use a belt feed instead of a round mag HANG FROM CEILING

49845544327_67844020d2_z.jpg

You are sorted mate, the lower guns approximate to the 0.050"

ISH!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1