Catalina PBY-5A - Airfix 1/72

CedB

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Any shouts of "Noooooooo!"??

Yes. here!!! :frantic:  :frantic: :frantic:  

BTW: I gave up using the built-in TET brush and use and old, fine tipped regular brush - it gives me much more control and you can forget the level problem .... HTH

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Giorgio - I thought there might be; mixing old and new 'stuff that evaporates quickly' is probably a no no. :) 

I'll look for a brush I can use… oh, wait, I have the spare brush that came with the Plastic Magic. You know, the glue I bought because, um, it was something new to try and 'is a bit quicker than TET but slower than TET Quick'. Can't say I see that but hey, who am I to judge…

I've decided I'll wait for the applicator so that I can use the Touch-N-Flow. I ought to be able to carry on and maybe even finish the wings eh?

Big enough.

There's only one join too, plus the struts, so should be OK?

• Like 2

Before I put the fuselage and bits aside, Gentlemen take your seats:

49908581176_2985658950_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Good enough for the ceiling.

I put some tube glue on their bottoms as usual (fnaar!) and couldn't work out why they fell off.

It's because their feet are stuck in the 'Russian Dancer position':

49908882607_8c7383d697_z.jpg

Relax guys, it'll be fine…

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Relax guys, it'll be fine…

Do you think they took Vodka on their long range missions over the northern atlantic , sang and danced to Kalinka to keep their feet warm? Mhhh. maybe.

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 3

My first thoughts on seeing the two crew figures together were that it looks like synchronised Cossack dancing. I think the Kainka dance would be a step too far with all that clobber on.

I was about to do what you suggested with some TET, being welsh and not wanting to waste any, but if you think it could be a problem perhaps I’ll adopt Giorgio’s method.

Stay safe.

John

• Like 2

22 hours ago, giemme said:

The perils of Sir Cedric in the Quest for the Ceiling... 

:D  :D  

Ciao

:D Thanks Giorgio

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

Do you think they took Vodka on their long range missions over the northern atlantic , sang and danced to Kalinka to keep their feet warm? Mhhh. maybe.

[snip video]

Cheers

Thanks Ben :D Quite possibly - chilly work.

21 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Synchronized Russian Dancing!

:D 

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ah so like this then.

https://youtu.be/EMN-wuVKcyk

Thanks Dennis :D The music was 'added later' I guess?

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

My first thoughts on seeing the two crew figures together were that it looks like synchronised Cossack dancing. I think the Kainka dance would be a step too far with all that clobber on.

I was about to do what you suggested with some TET, being welsh and not wanting to waste any, but if you think it could be a problem perhaps I’ll adopt Giorgio’s method.

Stay safe.

John

:D Thanks John. I'm taking Giorgio's advice too - better safe than sorry…

More wing work.

Nasty molding here:

49912063996_58562a67cf_z.jpg

…and they're individually numbered for some reason. Just to be safe I followed the numbers, cleaning up a pair at a time then putting a drop of tube glue in the oversized holes and using the bombs to make sure they looked right:

49912360357_a557a34b8e_z.jpg

Very 'therapeutic'. Not.

Next are the props. One is quite straight, the other not so much:

49912091646_ccc46a2d2f_n.jpg 49912390357_83168a4e06_n.jpg

So I think I need to soak those in hot water and straighten the blades.

How hot please? Boiling or from the tap?

• Like 7

On 5/18/2020 at 1:16 PM, bbudde said:

you think they took Vodka on their long range missions over the northern atlantic , sang and danced to Kalinka to keep their feet warm? Mhhh. maybe.

I don’t know about aircrew but during WW2 In the Heer the Schnapps rations were always provided to frontline troops as were various drugs such as Benzedrine ( aka speed) which were so commonly available they were nicknamed panzer candy. 

From what I’ve read certainly on the German side most of the combat troops would have been drunk or high or both in battle.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I was about to do what you suggested with some TET, being welsh and not wanting to waste any,

Also being Welsh and never wanting to waste anything, I've been pouring old TET into new bottes for years, with no ill effects. That is until I got to wondering if it's why my parts don't stick together any more.... :whistle: 🤣

K

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Schnapps rations were always provided to frontline troops as were various drugs such as Benzedrine ( aka speed) which were so commonly available they were nicknamed panzer candy. 

I heard of that and I'm sure troops are getting chill pills on all fronts even the aircrews. But maybe more to calm down on difficult missions or to stay wake on long range mission. Maybe not (too much) alcohol as it affects the motoric capabilities and disorder the senses in all aspects.

Cheers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CedB said:

How hot please? Boiling or from the tap?

I would use my coffee machine, for that, which means roundabout 70° C,, if its working correct. A bit longer then than in boiling water.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I don’t know about aircrew but during WW2 In the Heer the Schnapps rations were always provided to frontline troops as were various drugs such as Benzedrine ( aka speed) which were so commonly available they were nicknamed panzer candy. 

From what I’ve read certainly on the German side most of the combat troops would have been drunk or high or both in battle.

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

I heard of that and I'm sure troops are getting chill pills on all fronts even the aircrews. But maybe more to calm down on difficult missions or to stay wake on long range mission. Maybe not (too much) alcohol as it affects the motoric capabilities and disorder the senses in all aspects.

Cheers

Thanks Mark and Ben - anything to keep them alert I guess? :) 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Also being Welsh and never wanting to waste anything, I've been pouring old TET into new bottes for years, with no ill effects. That is until I got to wondering if it's why my parts don't stick together any more.... :whistle: 🤣

K

Thanks Keith :D 

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

I would use my coffee machine, for that, which means roundabout 70° C,, if its working correct. A bit longer then than in boiling water.

Cheers

Thanks Ben :) 

I had a 'brainwave' - use the PropMaster:

49912186336_6170dd228a_n.jpg 49912483777_953b45fcd9_n.jpg

The one on the left seems OK, the one on the right needs attention.

Our hot water is about 70° so I ran the prop blades under the tap and then dunked it in some water, into the PropMaster and taped down:

49912158183_eeb08c8511_n.jpg 49912687596_4a5a7639d7_n.jpg

I'll see if that's 'changed its memory' later.

Fitting the bombs really showed up the under-sized replacement fin loop so I thought I'd 'do an Adrian' and loop some shim around it:

49912397676_2769c89530_z.jpg

Good idea, until the TET Quick caused the plastic strip to 'snap'. Ho hum. I've ended up with a lumpy tail (ooer missus);

49912972632_a015003f00_n.jpg 49912160698_41ca0b05f8_n.jpg

I've plastered it in PPP and will sand to 'good enough for the ceiling' later:

49912694141_d7e587e118_z.jpg

I've also decided I probably need to paint the wings in bits and assemble later:

49912948702_ba46f8b5d0_z.jpg

I'll make sure the joins are as good as possible before I start :whistle:

• Like 10

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ah so like this then.

https://youtu.be/EMN-wuVKcyk

Brought to you courtesy of the Soviet Ministry for Culture and Silly Walks!

"Do you think they took Vodka on their long range missions" - I have it on good authority that vodka is added to the water tanks in the bathrooms to stop the freezing up!

And that prop may go someway to explaining the "full right rudder" syndrome!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, CedB said:

wings in bits

The Catalina wing looks mahoosive! It’s around 12 ft (2 model inches) less than the Sunderland but I guess it’s huge chord and the contrast with the slim fuselage that makes it look so huge.

Depth charges/bombs are looking good too...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

They do. I’d not like to be a U-boat lurking in Ced's carpet, what with the Nimrod, Sunderland and soon-to-be Cat up on the ceiling.

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Mark and Ben - anything to keep them alert I guess? :) 

As far as I know things like amphetamines were fairly recent discoveries and the powers that be thought medication could produce a super soldier. I don’t think the nazies  were unique in this area. As a total counter to this Himmler wanted the SS to go vegetarian but wanted to wait till the war was over to bring in the changes.

On the hot water front 60 degrees  centigrade is usually taken as they pain threshold, so if you can’t keep your hand in it, it’s over 60 degrees ( or you’re  a wuz)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

and the contrast with the slim fuselage that makes it look so huge.

It is huge Adrian. No matter what you try to talk it a bit smaller.  It has the span of a B-17.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Brought to you courtesy of the Soviet Ministry for Culture and Silly Walks!

"Do you think they took Vodka on their long range missions" - I have it on good authority that vodka is added to the water tanks in the bathrooms to stop the freezing up!

And that prop may go someway to explaining the "full right rudder" syndrome!

Ian

Thanks Ian :) 

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The Catalina wing looks mahoosive! It’s around 12 ft (2 model inches) less than the Sunderland but I guess it’s huge chord and the contrast with the slim fuselage that makes it look so huge.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :) 

14 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

They do. I’d not like to be a U-boat lurking in Ced's carpet, what with the Nimrod, Sunderland and soon-to-be Cat up on the ceiling.

:rofl2: Thanks Heather

14 hours ago, Marklo said:

As far as I know things like amphetamines were fairly recent discoveries and the powers that be thought medication could produce a super soldier. I don’t think the nazies  were unique in this area. As a total counter to this Himmler wanted the SS to go vegetarian but wanted to wait till the war was over to bring in the changes.

On the hot water front 60 degrees  centigrade is usually taken as they pain threshold, so if you can’t keep your hand in it, it’s over 60 degrees ( or you’re  a wuz)

Thanks Mark - helpful, I'll see what the prop is like later.

11 hours ago, bbudde said:

It is huge Adrian. No matter what you try to talk it a bit smaller.  It has the span of a B-17.

Big it is :) 

This morning I thought 'I have a mini-lathe that would make sanding that depth charge round a doddle'.

Only took five minutes to get it out:

49915395167_032ec48c24_z.jpg

49915395587_694bc85706_z.jpg

Done!

49914592193_5c795707ba_z.jpg

Better. 

Another five minutes to put the lathe away.

Nice to have though and fun to use. Honest.

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice to have though and fun to use. Honest.

.... and now I want one too .... :frantic:  

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lathe work too? Brilliant stuff on this BIG bird Mr B.

fingers crossed on the prop. If it doesn’t work you could add a little TET and do the same?

Also I always put old TET into my new bottle. 🤔 maybe.... I      shouldn’t? 🤪🙌🤣

Johnny

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice tool Ced!

Although 5 minutes to get it out, no doubt followed by another 10 minutes to get it to work...probably to find you've forgotten why you got it out in the first place....oh well!

Seriously though, we need more info on that one!

Ian

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, giemme said:

.... and now I want one too .... :frantic:  

Ciao

32 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Nice tool Ced!

Although 5 minutes to get it out, no doubt followed by another 10 minutes to get it to work...probably to find you've forgotten why you got it out in the first place....oh well!

Seriously though, we need more info on that one!

Ian

Thanks Giorgio and Ian :) I got my 'Mini bead lathe' on eBay - under £30 from China and lots to choose from… I blame Hendie for this one (he's got a bigger one, fnaar!) and encouragement from The Baron. One day I'll use it properly.

1 hour ago, Jabberwock said:

This may be of interest https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-52704526

Thanks Jabberwock :) What a story, another Centenarian veteran, Flight Lieutenant John Cruickshank VC, who deserves our thanks and respect.

I found a Wikipedia entry on him that states he was assigned to No. 210 Sqdn and flew 'a Consolidated Catalina anti-submarine flying boat' from Sullom Voe on 17 July 1944 on a patrol north into the Norwegian Sea. Could I model that one?

Sadly not. Further searches found an entry on pbycatalina.com that states he was flying "PBY Mk IV Catalina JV928" and mine's a PBY-5A. Shame.

It did point me at the film 'V for Valour' and I found this documentary about Cruikshank on YouTube. Worth a watch.

Brave men.

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Lathe work too? Brilliant stuff on this BIG bird Mr B.

fingers crossed on the prop. If it doesn’t work you could add a little TET and do the same?

Also I always put old TET into my new bottle. 🤔 maybe.... I      shouldn’t? 🤪🙌🤣

Johnny

Thanks Johnny - sounds like mixing old and new TET is a no no? How's your sticking? :( 

Props are currently straight:

49914787598_204cde43ae_z.jpg

…but there's flash and a nasty gate residue on the ?weights:

49915301931_8a3b54eec8_z.jpg

Chopped that off with a #10A and then ran a contour saw down the gaps:

49914814883_b0052b9104_z.jpg

Better.

Time to see if the wings will join up. The usual classic Airfix flash and wobble:

49915629772_fd39a8a57a_z.jpg

49915664342_584d3089f7_z.jpg

Clamped:

49915373496_47253d7a7d_z.jpg

I'll try again later for a better fit.

• Like 14