Catalina PBY-5A - Airfix 1/72

CedB

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Clever engineering Ced - hat's off, Sir! :worthy: :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, appreciated coming from one of my detailing Gurus! :) 

Thanks Mark, Martian and Ian :) 

Albion Hobbies distribute in the UK and Eire for a range of manufacturers including Albion Alloys, Flex-I-File and Dora.

I had a browse of their site and that immediately led to me adding some Dora kits to my wishlist…

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

sayin' that a picture is mandatory now !!

Come on CeD !!

CC

Um, I think my 'weekend wardrobe' is best kept secret CC! :D 

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Re-work is looking great Ced, thats Why I love your threads you never say Never. 

Thanks Dennis, very kind :) 

Prep for close up. Mounting the waist guns? I wonder if…

49901590391_300e32416c_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

First time I wish I had a wider saw but a contour and some scalpel work and they're in. This means I don't have to worry too much about the strength of the mount. Result!

Nose turret. Hmmm. Perhaps a piece of rod:

49901642516_060dd6b6af_z.jpg

…will give me a suitable look:

49901977972_6c586644f9_z.jpg

Should the gun port be open at the top? You can see in the first photo that it's closed.

Painted the gun mounts:

49901659796_ce90da90a1_z.jpg

Nearly there.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Martian said:

As far as I am aware they are still trading. Mathew John is a close friend of mine and I am sure that he would have said something were it otherwise. Put "Albion Alloys slide fit" into your search engine and you will find plenty of outlets for their products. I think the issue might be that Albion Alloys are a manufacturer and distributor and do not sell direct to the public. I will clarify with Mathew as soon as I can.

Martian 👽

I have just spoken to Mathew John of Albion Alloys and he confirms that not only are they still trading but since the lockdown, they have been selling more stuff than ever. Probably due to the fact that more modelling is getting done which logically means that more modelling materials are getting used up.

Martian 👽

• Like 7

You sly old fox Ced, there's some great scratching going on here - my apologies for not paying respects sooner but it makes for a pleasant binge-reaad catching-up! :thumbsup2:

6 hours ago, Martian said:

Mathew John is a close friend of mine

Indeed, I have a small shrine to him in the corner of the studio Martian. (Please pass on my sincere appreciation of his brass fancies - I've not touched another man's tubing since discovering his.)

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Indeed, I have a small shrine to him in the corner of the studio Martian. (Please pass on my sincere appreciation of his brass fancies - I've not touched another man's tubing since discovering his.)

Err you may want to re-phrase that one Tony!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Albion Hobbies distribute in the UK and Eire for a range of manufacturers including Albion Alloys, Flex-I-File and Dora.

Ahh good to know, I usually just buy their stuff off evilbay.

In case you haven’t guessed I’m Mark too Marklo’s the tag I used to use during my online gaming era (guild wars I & II, lord of the rings on line I still have a level 50 elf)

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was gremlins.

I haven’t used my elf in years. I actually don’t currently have access to a viable PC what with losing my laptop when I got made redundant and my cat and my daughters  former boyfriend doing a number on my desktop.

Edited by Marklo
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, Martian said:

I have just spoken to Mathew John of Albion Alloys and he confirms that not only are they still trading but since the lockdown, they have been selling more stuff than ever. Probably due to the fact that more modelling is getting done which logically means that more modelling materials are getting used up.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian :) Oooh, maybe I ought to stock up then…

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You sly old fox Ced, there's some great scratching going on here - my apologies for not paying respects sooner but it makes for a pleasant binge-reaad catching-up! :thumbsup2:

Thanks Tony :) A shrine eh? Neat. As for not touching another man's tubing… FNAAR!

14 hours ago, Martian said:

Err you may want to re-phrase that one Tony!

Martian 👽

Too late, it's been Finbarr'd! :D 

14 hours ago, perdu said:

No-o-o-o-o-o I rather doubt that Martian

;)

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Tis a Ced-thread after all!

Indeed! I must say it's been a long time since we've had any double-entendres here so it's about time I gave you one <<< there it is, snurf titter :D 

13 hours ago, Marklo said:

Ahh good to know, I usually just buy their stuff off evilbay.

In case you haven’t guessed I’m Mark too Marklo’s the tag I used to use during my online gaming era (guild wars I & II, lord of the rings on line I still have a level 50 elf)

Thanks Mark - level 50 Elf? No idea, sorry… :D 

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I sincerely hope you feed it regularly before midnight and keep it dry

(or is that Tribbles?)

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I thought it was gremlins.

I haven’t used my elf in years. I actually don’t currently have access to a viable PC what with losing my laptop when I got made redundant and my cat and my daughters  former boyfriend doing a number on my desktop.

Ah, Tribbles - classic Star Trek…

Sorry to hear about your desktop Mark, but I have to admit to a slight interest in knowing what your cat and daughters former boyfriend were up to… :D 

Well I'm at that stage where I'm considering close up.

Sadly, I've done me back in, again.

Mrs B had six growbags, three bags of manure, three bags of compost and a bag of potting grit delivered yesterday.

The delivery bloke kindly dropped them at the end of the drive but guess who got to cart them into the garden.

Yep, Mr Weak SI himself.

Locked up again this morning so I think a hot bath is in order, but I did clean up the fuselage halves a bit:

49904653772_f46981631e_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've decided that I can instal the gunners and the blisters after join up by looking through the blister holes to locate the gunner on the other side.

That means I can leave the blisters off.

I've also done some research on the blisters again and I think I'm reasonably happy with the frame positions.

49904693382_5f514593ce_z.jpg

Yet to decide whether to use Filmoplast or ART (with rivets) for the frame.

Bath time…

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, CedB said:

but I have to admit to a slight interest in knowing what your cat and daughters former boyfriend were up to

As do I. I think the cat may have been caught short next to said desktop which sits on the floor because it in a fairly large tower. The former ( but then current) boyfriend tried to fix it and pretty much finished it off. Although it may have been the other way around.

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, perdu said:

Nothing and I do mean nothing, beats a long hot soaky bath for back induced misery alleviation

Except possibly the appropriate  application of alcohol.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Except possibly the appropriate  application of alcohol.

That's the way I know !!

A long hot bath, with a good glass of Jack... Possibly a Panatella... Did you something is missing ???

Door open to the Fnaaar Fnaaar !!!

CC

• Haha 2

Hope you get sorted soon, Ced :thumbsup2: Looking forward to the fuselage halves joining, always an important milestone in every build :)

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

The former ( but then current) boyfriend tried to fix it and pretty much finished it off. Although it may have been the other way around.

So it was his number 2 boyfriend stint?

Ian:coat:

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

No first and only. But he was current at the time of the PCs demise.

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 2

sorry to hear about your back Ced - have they figured out social distancing massage yet?

hot bath and hot toddy should see you right - just don't go humping any growbags around again

• Thanks 1

Looking good! I like your gunner holding the guns - good use of the strange looking crew member. It makes sense of his pose. Are you going to add a slice of sprue for the drum magazines at some point?

Sorry to hear about the back. Our local newly reopened garden centre had a long queue on Saturday so I just kept driving - narrow escape!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks everyone - what a kind bunch you are… :) 

Bill, Mark, CC (fnaar!), Giorgio, Johnny and Simon the bath did do me some good and I may have another this morning. More Backgammon too so probably no modelling until later.

When we moved to Salisbury back in the 80s we had a great GP, 'Dr Pod'. When I first went to him with this problem he diagnosed 'lower back pain' and explained "Everyone has it. We're not designed to walk around upright". He went on to explain that I needed a muscle relaxant to stop the spasms and a pain killer to take the edge off. When I asked him what he prescribed he asked "Do you drink?" Having admitted I did he replied "Good, do that". Ah, old school eh…

I'm not a fan of pain killers for this as I like to know when I'm moving wrongly… it does make me grumpy though, sorry :) 

19 hours ago, Marklo said:

As do I. I think the cat may have been caught short next to said desktop which sits on the floor because it in a fairly large tower. The former ( but then current) boyfriend tried to fix it and pretty much finished it off. Although it may have been the other way around.

Ah! Um… er… all I can say is that it's a good job it wasn't under guarantee - explaining what happened might have been awkward!

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Ian:coat:

:nono: Oh Ian, naughty! :D 

11 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow Ced, chopping down trees, hauling soil and fabricating machine guns - the zombie apocalypse stands no chance in Bath.

Thanks Cookie :D I'm not really built for this stuff as you know (except, perhaps, the modelling) but calling in strong young men to help is difficult at the moment… and Mrs B still hankers for the days when my waist was, what shall we say, less generous?

7 hours ago, hendie said:

sorry to hear about your back Ced - have they figured out social distancing massage yet?

hot bath and hot toddy should see you right - just don't go humping any growbags around again

Wise words hendie, wise words… your advice of course, not the… oh massage! I thought you were referring to our new 'stay alert' message which most people over here don't get, or at least like to make fun of. I've stopped listening to the briefings now, or at least the questions whining from the press. Roosevelt had it just right - “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better…"

One of our science groups asked why they have political journalists at these things - why don't they sent their science correspondents?

Sorry off soapbox :angrysoapbox.sml:

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! I like your gunner holding the guns - good use of the strange looking crew member. It makes sense of his pose. Are you going to add a slice of sprue for the drum magazines at some point?

Sorry to hear about the back. Our local newly reopened garden centre had a long queue on Saturday so I just kept driving - narrow escape!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :) Now then, drum or (as some have suggested) belt fed? Hmmm…

My story is "Catalina 11088 just after take off, after the water had dropped off and before the crew had loaded their weapons but after they had released the blister seals and opened them, a bit."

That should do it :whistle:

Later chaps!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Ah. A political comment that none could take issue with Ced, wise words

As those from doctor (Bob did you call him?) Does not sound like a Muppet to me

Oh no I see it was Dr Pod, OK say no more...

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bill :) Yep, Dr Pod. I think his full name was Podkowlinski so you can see why…

When we first moved we both got sniffles that wouldn't go away so we went to register and see him.

"Just moved here? It'll be Salisbury bug."

"What's that?" we asked.

"No idea" he replied "but it'll be something you didn't come across in Bath and your system needs to build immunity to it."

Science and common sense… just what we need :) 

I'd just got out of the hot bath* this morning when the 'phone rang with an unrecognised number.

It was a chap from Albion Hobbies (Malcolm I think) calling about the email I'd sent to e-Models about my failed Touch-N-Flow applicator.

After a brief chat about usage, storage etc he's sending me a new one in the post.

Great service!

I may delay close up until it arrives - I really love the Touch-N-Flow for large seams like this - when I use TET I always get a little dot where the brush goes on, and it has to go on a lot with a model this size. The weld is great too and goes off nice and quickly so, with old models like this, you can work your way down the seam a bit at a time bending a squeezing as you go.

The point was made that they've sold thousands of these and this is the first fail. I believe him and will look forward to going back to the system.

While I'm here, my TET is getting near the bottom of the bottle and I don't get as much on the brush (even though I've pulled the tip out).

I think I'm going to open my spare and, when the level has gone down enough, pour the old stuff into it.

Any shouts of "Noooooooo!"??

I already have my Liquid Poly sprue gloop so don't need it for that, although it would be a contender, possibly.

Right, Backgammon calls…

* Don't get excited, I had my towelling robe on!

• Haha 7