Catalina PBY-5A - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Um, I've just checked my 'spare brush' collection and…

49959075027_769f09c187_z.jpg

I seem to already have some wider brushes.

That Humbrol one makes the Tamiya look scruffy, despite my care with 'Masters Brush Cleaner and Restorative'.

I must stop buying things after wine…

• Haha 7

13 minutes ago, CedB said:

Cutting the tape to a consistent width is a problem though and, of course, using two pieces of unequal width really shows up.

Try this one Ced... I know how you like your tools. 
https://m.alibaba.com/product/168355425/Universal-Scalpel-Handle-Double-Scalpel-Handle.html

https://ellisinstruments.com/product/multiple-blade-scalpel-handles/

This one ⬆️ uses standard #10 or #15 blades and can cut multiple strips equally every time. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

On 28/05/2020 at 08:14, perdu said:

I love that Tele.

I could never justify owning a Tele because I am just to arthritic to play it but when I was a kid my mates would zero in on a Strat or Gibson but for me I always headed straight for a 'caster in Jack Woodroffe's music shop in Brum.

Would his son have been Jezz (aka Gerald) Woodroffe who played with Black Sabbath, among others?

• Like 2

Almost probably

ish

The Brum music scene was almost cannibalistic from what I remember.

Denny Laine, Karl Wayne and Bev Bevan and the others floated into and out of bands for most of the sixties.

We had some great combos going round, with Jack selling the dream to hundred of thousands of us.

Family ties make it very likely but I didn't know many of the musicians personally although I did buy and chat about records from Bev in his mom's shop.

I remember buying a little tune called Cry For A Shadow on a demo disc from a German label, some bunch of unheard of boys from Hamburg called The Beatles from him.

Very much a Shadows rip-off, lots of twangy, shrieky lead.

But not awfully good except...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, perdu said:

Almost probably

ish

The Brum music scene was almost cannibalistic from what I remember.

Denny Laine, Karl Wayne and Bev Bevan and the others floated into and out of bands for most of the sixties.

We had some great combos going round, with Jack selling the dream to hundred of thousands of us.

Family ties make it very likely but I didn't know many of the musicians personally although I did buy and chat about records from Bev in his mom's shop.

I remember buying a little tune called Cry For A Shadow on a demo disc from a German label, some bunch of unheard of boys from Hamburg called The Beatles from him.

Very much a Shadows rip-off, lots of twangy, shrieky lead.

But not awfully good except...

Eeh, all those famous names! Thing is, the Birmingham "scene" was not mine, living in Cardiff until I went to University in North Wales.

I did see the Move in 1967 or 1968, in a club in Bridgend, and was well acquainted with records by the Birmingham groups.

I bet you went to Mothers, as well? A mate of mine at University lived in Erdington, about 10 minutes walk from it,  I went loads of times and saw some stellar bands there. 

As for that lot called the Beatles, well who knew, eh?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CedB said:

49958917767_fcc787f642_z.jpg

Ced, I know the Dark Slate needs at least another coat so is probably looking a bit light, but that grey looks awfully dark to me? There's usually not a lot of contrast between Dark Slate and Extra Dark Sea Grey in the Temperate Sea Scheme....

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Try this one Ced... I know how you like your tools. 
https://m.alibaba.com/product/168355425/Universal-Scalpel-Handle-Double-Scalpel-Handle.html

https://ellisinstruments.com/product/multiple-blade-scalpel-handles/

This one ⬆️ uses standard #10 or #15 blades and can cut multiple strips equally every time. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis :) Of course I had a look! Not 'narrow' enough for me though, I need below 1mm.

I've had an email saying the brushes and the cutting boards have both been despatched - that was quick!

Thanks John and Bill - I know nothing of these 'pop' groups, sorry :D 

15 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Ced, I know the Dark Slate needs at least another coat so is probably looking a bit light, but that grey looks awfully dark to me? There's usually not a lot of contrast between Dark Slate and Extra Dark Sea Grey in the Temperate Sea Scheme....

Keith

Thanks Keith :) 

The scheme says 'Army Green' and 'Dark Grey' and I've used the Humbrol colours…

Was the North Atlantic 'temperate'? :shrug:

Does this look better:

49959335152_36f6435266_z.jpg

I may go over some of the grey if it doesn't dry less patchy - happy with the variation in the green though, I think.

12 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I liked the look of those - until I saw the price.... :yikes:

(can't get the first link to open properly)

Keith

I know! The minimum order quantities are a bit much too.

I think the first link is to a mobile version of the site - came up BIG on my Mac.

• Like 6

Sorry Ced, I’ve got a little behind again so please accept another  IOU for 6 likes.

I like Mr Metal iron also ( I actually read ‘ irony ‘ initially and thought you’d gone all literary ) but mine’s run out so until I replenish it I’m using Humbrol Metalcote gun metal buffed up for that sort of thing. 

john :dog:

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks John and Bill - I know nothing of these 'pop' groups, sorry :D 

You know nothing of these "pop" groups?

Of course, you live in Bath - I suspect you're one of those soft southern shandy drinking opera buffs !!  :wicked:

Good job you know your way around a sprue or two !

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Was the North Atlantic 'temperate'?

Only by definition I think!

Grey still looks a little dark to me,but then maybe that's just my tired old eyes! Did you not have the right colourcoats colours to use? (too late now, don't paint enamel over those acrylics!)

K

Edited as I forgot to say that whether the grey is or isn't too dark, overall the big Cat is looking very nice indeed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The grey is probably right from the tin/jar, and looks fairly close to the colour charts.  However EDSG is known to fade pretty quickly, which makes its blue component more obvious (so don't assume Dark Sea Grey is more representative, it isn't).  Add to this the normal effect of no dark colour looking quite so dark on large areas as it does in the real tin, and we are left with a "too dark" impression compared to photos of the original.  So if the subject (any subject, not picking on this one) is done immaculate, straight from the paint shop, then spot on.  If it is to finally represent a used, weathered, flying boat then yeah, it'll look too dark.  Of course, the roundel blue will have faded too - there are some very light blue upper wing roundels seen in wartime colour photos.  It's a minefield, I tell 'ee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

(too late now, don't paint enamel over those acrylics!)

Um, well, actually, yes. Yes, he could. I do.

Now, t'other way round could spell trouble. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Now, t'other way round could spell trouble.

Err, you sure Heather, previous personal disasters tell me otherwise.... It must have been that the enamels I used to use belonged in the yellow warning triangle group!

Model paint chart

Haven't used enamels for years though despite having boxes full f them 'in stock'!

I keep that chart handy to remind me not to use my now favourite laquers over anything else!!

Edit - and I just remembered I always used acrylic clear coats over enamels...

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Err, you sure Heather, previous personal disasters tell me otherwise....

There’s been a discussion about just this on another thread. It’s all to do with chemicals. In my experience, water-based and the Tamiya type acrylics are ideal base coats for oil-based enamel top coats. YMMV, obvs. I have no experience with lacquer-based acrylics, and won’t comment on them.

I use acrylic primer, top coat with enamel and never had a problem that wasn’t caused by my own ineptitude. The last model I brush painted, I used a Humbrol acrylic as a primer coat before brushing Colourcoats enamels on it.

Now, you can paint acrylic over enamel, provided you let the enamel fully harden to let the volatiles gas off. That can, depending on the manufacturer, take from hours to days. Colourcoats, I find this past weekend, can be painted over with acrylic next day. Humbrol takes a good week to fully harden off.

If you paint over enamel too early, the acrylic wrinkles, crazes and peels off. Ask me how I know this.  :facepalm:

So, Ced can happily paint enamel over the acrylic he’s already laid down and experience no adverse effects, save from the vapours! 

And with apologies to our host, I return you to our regular scheduled programme. ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

Of course, you live in Bath - I suspect you're one of those soft southern shandy drinking opera buffs !!  :wicked:

He knows!

He's just doing that "I'm too intellectual for my shirt" stuff, seen his type enough times.

Usually pulling some bird against the back wall of The Brumbeat Cavern, jammy sod!

I was mostly SouthBrum based so I never got up North to Mothers

And getting wed early played havoc with my musical outings too.

Denny and the Diplomats were the first live act I used to see every Tuesday, blimey I was so young 👍 😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

water-based and the Tamiya type acrylics are ideal base coats for oil-based enamel top coats. YMMV, obvs.

And my mileage does vary considerably! Before I learnt my lesson I ruined two paint jobs by using a water based acrylic as the overall lighter colour in a camouflage scheme, then using an enamel for the second colour as I used to find (still do if I'm honest) that enamels are far easier to spray a fine line freehand camo with. 

But it obviously works for you, but personally I wouldn't do it again and I wouldn't recommend anyone else to either, hence why I'd stll say to Ced that I wouldn't paint enamels over those acrylics, he's bigger than me! :)

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, perdu said:

Denny and the Diplomats were the first live act I used to see every Tuesday, blimey I was so young

Funny that, when I got married (at 25), it played havoc with my musical outings, too. I wonder what we did instead?

And my first live acts were school bands (ie pupils at my school) and then in 1964/65 bands like Raiders ( pre Love Sculpture Dave Edmunds) and the various early bands of people like Andy Fairweather Low, and I think we may even have seen an early incantation of Shakin' Stevens, though that is a very shaky memory of one of my school friends who is convinced we did.

Now back to the Cat, Ced, how's it gong?  Started the next one yet?

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Sorry Ced, I’ve got a little behind again so please accept another  IOU for 6 likes.

I like Mr Metal iron also ( I actually read ‘ irony ‘ initially and thought you’d gone all literary ) but mine’s run out so until I replenish it I’m using Humbrol Metalcote gun metal buffed up for that sort of thing. 

john :dog:

"I’ve got a little behind… " - 'not from where I'm standing' is the standard response to THAT! Sorry John, fnaar! :D 

5 hours ago, Whofan said:

Opera? Wossat?

Bath has it's famous bands you know, like Tears for Fears and, um… Peter Gabriel has his studio close and Midge Ure lives just down the road from us… oh yes :) 

4 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good, certainly much better than when you first got the bits out!

Thanks Phil, very kind :) 

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Only by definition I think!

Grey still looks a little dark to me,but then maybe that's just my tired old eyes! Did you not have the right colourcoats colours to use? (too late now, don't paint enamel over those acrylics!)

K

Edited as I forgot to say that whether the grey is or isn't too dark, overall the big Cat is looking very nice indeed!

Thanks Keith - Just following orders… :) 

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The grey is probably right from the tin/jar, and looks fairly close to the colour charts.  However EDSG is known to fade pretty quickly, which makes its blue component more obvious (so don't assume Dark Sea Grey is more representative, it isn't).  Add to this the normal effect of no dark colour looking quite so dark on large areas as it does in the real tin, and we are left with a "too dark" impression compared to photos of the original.  So if the subject (any subject, not picking on this one) is done immaculate, straight from the paint shop, then spot on.  If it is to finally represent a used, weathered, flying boat then yeah, it'll look too dark.  Of course, the roundel blue will have faded too - there are some very light blue upper wing roundels seen in wartime colour photos.  It's a minefield, I tell 'ee.

Thanks Graham :) Immaculate - I'll try…

Thanks Heather and Keith for the info on what's allowed on top (snigger). To be honest the different types of acrylic carriers do my head in… :shrug:

2 hours ago, perdu said:

He knows!

He's just doing that "I'm too intellectual for my shirt" stuff, seen his type enough times.

Usually pulling some bird against the back wall of The Brumbeat Cavern, jammy sod!

I was mostly SouthBrum based so I never got up North to Mothers

Denny and the Diplomats were the first live act I used to see every Tuesday, blimey I was so young 👍 😱

I'm too sexy for my shirt, innit? And no, I'm not! :D 

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

Funny that, when I got married (at 25), it played havoc with my musical outings, too. I wonder what we did instead?

And my first live acts were school bands (ie pupils at my school) and then in 1964/65 bands like Raiders ( pre Love Sculpture Dave Edmunds) and the various early bands of people like Andy Fairweather Low, and I think we may even have seen an early incantation of Shakin' Stevens, though that is a very shaky memory of one of my school friends who is convinced we did.

Now back to the Cat, Ced, how's it gong?  Started the next one yet?

The Cat? Getting there thanks John :) 

Got fed up with touching up (now finished) so, just for fun:

49959895676_d76bd6ebd4_z.jpg

A shot from this angle to see if I'm envious enough of Crisp's new workstation to do anything about it:

49959896906_af1b6c78cd_z.jpg

To do:

• Transfers
  • Float supports
  • Fit props
  • Matt coat?
  • Aerial wire
  • fit pitot
  • fit guns

I think I'll leave the extra weathering on this one - I want to get on with something else (yet to be decided!)

• Like 19

That last pic is quite a view, Ced! :clap:

:clap:

Of course, weathering her would be like doing another full build in itself....

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Well doing it as factory fresh sorts out your "how faded is the grey" question. Nice one!

[edit - where's the "whoa - I need to take a few steps back to take it all in" like button when you need it??]

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3