++++Airfix Spitfire 1a starter kit _Finished++++

Jumping into this GB really just to knock out hopefully a quick build. Bought in quantity (10+!) from HomeBargains a while back for £2.99 each as starter kits (suggestions for use of all those little paint pots and glue??). Spitfire  in all guises are understandably well covered in this GB and in general so I am not looking for anything out of the ordinary here as the type is not my area of knowledge either. However I did buy the Xtradecals sheet for the 1a with 9 options - just to decide which one. May research the individual aircraft and pilot stories to get inspiration.

Obligatory shots earlier yesterday

20200427_160414_resized.jpg

20200427_160525_resized.jpg

Progress by close of play ...

20200427_205328_resized.jpg

You cant see much inside....... 

Any way I like the external painting and finishing stage best, so looking get the fuselage closed up today. 

• Like 10

10+ of the same starter kit eh ! What a fine example to be setting to the rest of us when it comes to stash control 😂

I did a school project with some of these kits a few years ago, great thing about the little pots of paint, easy to wash off school kids and uniforms before they go home !

Teachers thought I was mad, (good point well made 😉) however the kids loved it, some of the colour schemes were amazing but as long as they enjoyed it, thats all that mattered. Unfortunately with the death of a previous mobile phone i dont have any pictures to share.

Good luck with your build / builds

cheers Pat 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

10+ of the same starter kit eh ! What a fine example to be setting to the rest of us when it comes to stash control 😂

I did a school project with some of these kits a few years ago, great thing about the little pots of paint, easy to wash off school kids and uniforms before they go home !

Teachers thought I was mad, (good point well made 😉) however the kids loved it, some of the colour schemes were amazing but as long as they enjoyed it, thats all that mattered. Unfortunately with the death of a previous mobile phone i dont have any pictures to share.

Good luck with your build / builds

cheers Pat 

Pat - Ha I bought them for the local Aberdeen Modellers make n take - and like you said the colours the kids painted their models was amazing and totally different from the real colours. I have a few left over still that were added to the stash. Have pics somewhere...

Cheers - hoping this is a quick one and then maybe pull out the Italeri 'Beer Truck' spit! Want to do the Buccaneer GB as well.

John

• Like 1

Cheers Patrice 

3 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening John

Welcome aboard , very good start on the cockpit

Have fun

Best regards

Patrice

First spitfire ive built for40+ years and looking forward to The GB

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jpthedog said:
15 hours ago, Jpthedog said:

Obligatory shots earlier yesterday

20200427_160414_resized.jpg

Out of curiosity may I ask which decal sheet that is ?  Im looking for early Mk.I decals for two future builds and would like to see if these will have what I need 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Posted twice ?

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Out of curiosity may I ask which decal sheet that is ?  Im looking for early Mk.I decals for two future builds and would like to see if these will have what I need 

Dennis

Dennis

Apologies I should have said - its Xtradecal X72221 BoB 75th Anniversary set - 10 different machines! Looks like a nice sheet.

John

• Thanks 1

Hi,

great choice. 

Funny you'd want a different scheme, when I have been looking forward to do the wonky scheme of the 610 squadron!?

One seldom goes wrong with an Xtradecal decal sheet!

I will be watching with interest! Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jean said:

Hi,

great choice. 

Funny you'd want a different scheme, when I have been looking forward to do the wonky scheme of the 610 squadron!?

One seldom goes wrong with an Xtradecal decal sheet!

I will be watching with interest! Have a lot of fun!

JR

Jean

Wonky?

The  build is easy but a few seam lines to tidy up....

20200430_080627_resized.jpg

• Like 3

Deliberating about final aircraft to model.... have shortage of suitable blues for the underside, but anyhow the machine is now primed with Tamiya rattle can primer, canopy masked, prop painted and some pre-shading awaiting camo masking - sure you all know how it goes!

20200506_085037_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Update - brown sprayed on - using Hataka paints, nice but man they clogged up the airbrush a couple of times, even spraying that small kit. Masking now applied - thats a job that takes longer than you think - everytime!

20200511_211350_resized.jpg

Using a film - Ultra Mask - which is flexible and low tack. See how it performs with green paint later today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I finished the Spitfire at the beginning of June and here I am posting it on the last day! Excuses? I made a very simple base for it this week so was waiting for that before taking any pics.

One of the completed model - rest will be in the gallery.

20200719_081544_resized.jpg

Thanks for hosting a very busy GB!

• Like 3

• Jpthedog changed the title to ++++Airfix Spitfire 1a starter kit _Finished++++