Grumman F4F and FM Wildcat / Marlet STGB

Basilisk

With my Yak-1 to 11 and MS 406 / 410 STGB proposals not going anywhere, how about a Grumman Wildcat / Marlet STGB?

Not as many colour scheme options as the Yaks and Moranes, but nonetheless an important type and some nice kits available as well. It would be nice to see some less "popular" types in STGBs like that of the recently finished Ju 87 STGB which resulted in some tremendous models.

Cheers, Peter

And the list is:

01. Basilisk

02. dnl42

03. Corsairfoxfouruncle

04. Erwin

05. TEMPESTMK5

06. Arniec

07. Giorgio N

08. Jb65rams

09. stevehnz

10. Louise

11. Wez

12. CliffB

13. Cookenbacher

14. BlueNosers352nd

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1

Good to see there is some interest in this topic.

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

805 Squadron Royal Navy Martlet in Western Desert Camouflage. Ive been trying to build one for five years, damn thing keeps getting pushed down the list.

Lets hope there will be a reason to get the project back on top of the list :winkgrin:

5 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Peter

I have some  1/72 Airfix and Hasegawa Wildcat and Martlett in my stash so sign me in please ..

I would think many of us have these kits in the stash.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

I believe that the little Grumman fighter was one of the most important types of the war ! Even if later and more powerful aircraft may have had more kills, the role that the Wildcat played with both the USN and the FAA was vital. For these reasons alone, I'd say that this type deserves an STGB ! Please count me in

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arniec said:

Yep, I am in. I have got a Couple in the stash. I think it will be with British roundels.

Great. I am sure most of us have some Wildcats hidden away :winkgrin:

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I believe that the little Grumman fighter was one of the most important types of the war ! Even if later and more powerful aircraft may have had more kills, the role that the Wildcat played with both the USN and the FAA was vital. For these reasons alone, I'd say that this type deserves an STGB ! Please count me in

So true and welcome aboard Giorgio.

3 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Count me in. Built 3 wildcats for the Grumman GB last year. Need to add a Martlet or two to the collection.

Can't have enough Wildcats on the look of it :winkgrin:

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just curious Peter but do you need a co host ? If so I can help if you're interested ? 

Thanks for your offer, but lets see how this proposal develops first.

Actually I don't understand the need for a co-host. Wouldn't it be nice if all participants in a GB act like a co-host and not just one or two dedicated chaps. And in previous GBs I hosted I have to say that some GB participants where much more active than the dedicated co-hosts.

Any more takers?

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 9:08 PM, stevehnz said:

Yes, with usual caveats. :)

Steve.

Don't we have them all.

I have to say I thought there will be a bit more interest in the topic with the excellent Arma Hobby kit now available. Unfortunately I have to wait a bit longer to get one as no postal service is currently available to Oz.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

I just started working on the Airfix IV today.... do I have to stop? I have Arma FM-2's coming so could do one of them for the GB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louise said:

I just started working on the Airfix IV today.... do I have to stop? I have Arma FM-2's coming so could do one of them for the GB

No this still needs 15 more members to sign up to get a date in the line up. Soonest date available I think is late 2021 or early 2022. So more than enough time to build a couple. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, Louise said:

Would love to get my hands on an Arma Wildcat, but no postal service currently from Poland to Australia :(

On 5/24/2020 at 4:56 PM, Wez said:

Count me in

Done

On 5/24/2020 at 8:47 PM, CliffB said:

Me too please.

Cheers

Done too

There surely have to be more who could join with the Arma kit newly in the stash and most likely lots of the Airfix offering too ;)

Cheers, Peter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So the Hellcats reached quorum, I'll see if I can give this a boost.

Got three Wildcats in the post last week, the lovely Sweet kit with decals for preserved US and a number of RN schemes - including a nice all blue RN Pacific scheme I'd not seen before.

So I'm in 😁

• Like 2