1/72 - Cessna O-1 Bird Dog by AVI Models - released - new LF Models boxing

Homebee

• 5 months later...

Finally!!!  While Airfix kit is still very nice I don't like the look of main gear strut butt joint to the fuselage and quite thick trailing edges. Much part preparation also needed because of ejector pin marks. Some are right on control surface rib details so removing them without ruining those delicate details is impossible. This new tool Bird Dog is much welcomed.

I like this. If the undercarriage legs could be made in one piece in  a metal, that would be good for added strength. The amount of times my Airfix ones broke and hard to fix......

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Cessna O-1 Bird Dog by AVI Models - test parts+box art - release in 2020

First two boxing

- ref. AVI72018 - Cessna O-1 Bird Dog - US ARMY

Source: https://www.avimodels.com/index.php?id_product=40&controller=product&id_lang=1

Box art & schemes

130100961-3930146946996691-5484865773304

187-Avi-Models-thickbox.jpg

- ref. AVI72019 - Cessna O-1 Bird Dog "Japan, Thai & Korean ARMY"

Sources:

https://www.avimodels.com/index.php?id_product=52&controller=product&id_lang=1

https://www.facebook.com/208070375871052/photos/a.208144655863624/3788202341191153/

Box art &schemes

121799181-3788202344524486-2547236502786

188-Avi-Models-thickbox.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Cessna O-1 Bird Dog by AVI Models - test parts+schermes+box art - release in 2020
On 10/11/2020 at 11:05 AM, Paul J said:

If the undercarriage legs could be made in one piece in  a metal, that would be good for added strength. The amount of times my Airfix ones broke and hard to fix......

Hear, hear, if only someone would make them in (very thin) sheet metal... 🙄

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Cessna O-1 Bird Dog by AVI Models - test parts+schemes+box art - release in 2020
2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I know that the web-site says it's an injected plastic kit (and not resin), but just wanted to be sure!  The molded parts look beyond excellent: they are positively gorgeous!

PLATIKOVÉ MODELY 1/72  - https://www.avimodels.com/index.php?id_category=8&controller=category&id_lang=1

V.P.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Cessna O-1 Bird Dog by AVI Models - test parts+schemes+box art+decals - release in 2020
  • 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Cessna O-1 Bird Dog by AVI Models - released

• 2 months later...

A slight word of warning to anybody thinking to use this version of the kit with other after market decals.

While the sprues and etch parts included allow for most other versions to be built the covered ADF antenna parts are in resin (parts R1 & R2 on the instruction sheet) and these are not included in this version of the kit. This is not a problem if you are using the kit decals or any others for the A version as all the parts are there but if you want to build an E you will need to wait for that version to be released or make your own antenna.

The Hannants website did use the pictures provided by AVI which gave the impression the resin parts would be included in this version but this is not the case and Hannants have now removed this picture now so what you see on the website is what you get.  In fairness to Hannants they used the pictures provided by AVI before the release of the kit and now this issue has been clarified they have corrected it.

No points for guessing how I know all this!

• Like 2

I wonder if we will get a USAF forward air controller boxing.  From what I can remember, these would be O-1E, F or G.    I would think it would just be different decals, possibly the ADF antenna.

Edited by Ham

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Cessna O-1 Bird Dog by AVI Models - released - new boxings
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 5:49 PM, Ham said:

I wonder if we will get a USAF forward air controller boxing

I'd say it's a safe bet - since this would in all likelihood (also known as "my baseless gut feeling") be the most popular version, it's solid business sense to release other boxings first. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Cessna O-1 Bird Dog by AVI Models - released - new LF Models boxing