ICM 1/48 MiG-3 with UBK wing pods (yellow 5, autumn 1941)

Finally, let me show something too!
The theme is (to me personally the most beautiful WW2 aircraft) the MiG-3 with UBK gun pods that was shot down in the fall of 1941, although there is no information on this aircraft. I based the model on the data provided by the famous Masimo Tessitori on his page ( https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/mig3/shotdown5/shotdown5.html ) and I won't go into a much more detailed story about the apparatus itself. 
The model itself is already well known and is the original 1/48 ICM cast. I finished it around 2015 (started 4/5 years earlier), but just now I found it appropriate to take a picture of it: (and to dusted it). As I have listened to all sorts of things over the years, I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised! Despite the strange break down of wings, I had no major problems fitting! The level of detail is at an adequate level and with a little effort it is possible to raise model to a higher category. But to be true, not so new Trumpeter's MiG-3 is better for the class, but IMHO ICM is holding water pretty decent!

The paint job is free handed airbrushing and the top greens are Humbrol 151 (or the new 226, I'm not sure but in any case FS34151), and Humbrol 91. The lower mix is Humbrol 65 + 47 in 1/1. Yellow 5 is brush painted. Weathering is a combination of dry pastels, oils, watercolor pencils (silver, green and gray). I had terrible problems with the airbrush because it functioned as a single action gun due to the faulty nozzle. 

Pardon me for such long story and for the bad photos (and the amount of them)! Hopefully next time it will be much!

shotdown5f.jpg shotdown5.jpg

From https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/mig3/shotdown5/shotdown5.html

IMG-6550.jpg

IMG-6551.jpg

IMG-6787.jpg

IMG-6624.jpg

IMG-6553.jpg

IMG-6814.jpg

IMG-6542.jpg

IMG-6536.jpg

IMG-6808.jpg

Edited by boom.boom
  • Like 17

Minor critique/suggestion.  It'd be beneficial to include the scale in the header or opening sentence next time. I'm interested in VVS subjects. many aren't. So no, not every reader is familiar with the "original ICM cast", and I couldn't discern the scale until I got down to the image with the model resting on Creos jars to offer perspective.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Minor critique/suggestion.  It'd be beneficial to include the scale in the header or opening sentence next time. I'm interested in VVS subjects. many aren't. So no, not every reader is familiar with the "original ICM cast", and I couldn't discern the scale until I got down to the image with the model resting on Creos jars to offer perspective.

You are absolute right ! DONE!

Nice build and finish.

Especially like the subtle streaking on the upper wings. Nicely done.

Also have great love for the MiG-3.

Well done

• Like 1

• 9 months later...