Italeri F7-N3 Tigercat

A very quick (for me) OOB build, and a real mixed bag of a kit: most parts need cleaning, some (props) have some horrible moulding flaws, the canopies do't fit too well and the decals silvered..one the other hand fit is good, surface detail is restrained, some parts are very nicely detailed, and the Tigercat can't help look good!

I attempted to do this almost totally out of the box ,so not even seat belts, intended to rely on the finish to get it looking good. I did however replace the aerial posts: even Italeri's box art says there should be two, but they only supplied one moulded in with a fuselage half, and as that broke off & disappeared I figured it wouldn't be to much of a crime to add the second. I didn't add a wire as photos suggest that not all of the Korea birds had one, indeed the variety of aerial/wire combinations suggests there were a few different radio configurations around. No bombs and rockets because tbh I lost patience after the matt varnish and wanted to move on!

I am happy with the finish, there is more variation in the black than is apparent in the photos, but the decals did silver a bit more than I hoped, taking the shine off the whole a bit - they are probably twenty years old so it's understandable!

49826753173_7656e4d6af_b.jpg

49826753218_8566e4b53e_b.jpg

49827272766_e45f3e9313_b.jpg

(the barrel & box is supplied in the kit for the purposes of keeping the tail off the ground, mainly necessary because I forgot to weight the nose! Still, couldn't be bothered to paint it...)

49826740698_3887e28edc_b.jpg

49826740813_b5b9cfb29f_b.jpg

49827273396_8b27dcf7ac_b.jpg

49826742033_49ef50a5bf_b.jpg

49827599722_f5656c42ef_b.jpg

• Like 17

Such a nice plane, it really deserves to be newly tooled.

But you gave it justice, especially considering the problems you encountered.

How did you do such subtle paint chipping (really convincing)?

Edited by PattheCat

You've cleaned that old kit up well and proper! To me, the phrase "quick build" is never associated with "mixed bag" & "parts need cleaning". I would be taking months & lots of arguments with bits of plastic!

Nice tidy work! Totally different aircraft I know, but these remind me of the Whirlwind.

Well done sir!

Martin

Very nice build. As has been mentioned earlier, the weathering is impressive. I couldn't help but focus on the wind abrasion on the nose radome. Can't be any more realistic than that! Awesome!

Nicely done CheshireGap.

Finish looks very suitably worn and used. Sorry to hear of the problems you encountered but useful information for us that have one in the stash.

I have the an AMT one (which Italeri bought the molds from - in the F7F-2N configuration). One question, how was the landing gear gear strength wise? I have concerns that they may be a bit flimsy. Haven't yet started mine yet as I'm waiting to find a set of SAC landing gear. Unfortunately going to cost twice as much as the kit!

Totally agree with you there Lightningboy2000, quick and easy is never just that. 

Thanks for all the kind comments!

17 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

You've cleaned that old kit up well and proper! To me, the phrase "quick build" is never associated with "mixed bag" & "parts need cleaning". I would be taking months & lots of arguments with bits of plastic!

Nice tidy work! Totally different aircraft I know, but these remind me of the Whirlwind.

Well done sir!

Martin

Its all relative - started in March and finished in April is very quick for me! There are not really that many parts to slow you down, there are only 8 steps in the instructions, including rockets & bombs. Examples of the" mixed bag":

49828391083_ab543aa0a3_c.jpg - lovely detail on the radar operators station

49828920006_4e37a0c581_c.jpg - weird "growths" at the base of the prop blades

16 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Nicely done CheshireGap.

Finish looks very suitably worn and used. Sorry to hear of the problems you encountered but useful information for us that have one in the stash.

I have the an AMT one (which Italeri bought the molds from - in the F7F-2N configuration). One question, how was the landing gear gear strength wise? I have concerns that they may be a bit flimsy. Haven't yet started mine yet as I'm waiting to find a set of SAC landing gear. Unfortunately going to cost twice as much as the kit!

Totally agree with you there Lightningboy2000, quick and easy is never just that. 

Landing gear is fairly sturdy so far, its a bit of a fiddle getting it in if you leave it till after painting though. Doors are more of a fiddle as there is little in the way of contact points to glue.

18 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Such a nice plane, it really deserves to be newly tooled.

But you gave it justice, especially considering the problems you encountered.

How did you do such subtle paint chipping (really convincing)?

Standard sponge technique using Citadel paints - their base metallics are really good for brush painting, and they have a good choice