Churchill Mk.III AFV Club 1/35th

On 30/04/2020 at 14:19, IanC said:

Absolutely superb painting and weathering.

Good photos too.

Thanks Ian,

Looking at the photos I've decided to make a couple of alterations. Just hope I don't mess it up.🤞

That's just brilliant in every way.  I love it.

I think I'll just quietly meander back to my comfort zone in the Aircraft section and stay over there. ;)

Well done.

Cheers

Gaz

Edited by kiwitrogg
Double text glitch in the system.
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

That's just brilliant in every way.  I love it.

I think I'll just quietly meander back to my comfort zone in the Aircraft section and stay over there. ;)

Well done.

Cheers

Gaz

Thanks Gaz! Much appreciated.😁

Aircraft and AFV modelling are really quite different disciplines and I enjoy both equally but I have to say I find AFV's less taxing on my poor old brain and eyes.

11 hours ago, zigster said:

This is a splendid representation of the original!

Love those tracks!!!

Zig

Cheers Zig!

The tracks are quite dominant on a Churchill so I'm glad my efforts seem to have paid off.

Wayne

On 30/04/2020 at 07:40, diablo rsv said:

This photo also shows the middle track guards removed. I believe this practice did lead to some nasty accidents when riders or crew stepped down when the tank was still moving.

Hi Wayne, your Churchill is looking great, even down to the bent aerial, that's the first photo I've seen of  a Churchill with the track guards partially removed that was not in Europe, I thought it was a Normandy thing.  Had a quick look at my Mk.III today, at first I was going for a N. African one, then I saw a Russian one with slogans across the turret, that would have looked good, then when I was building the Mk.IV AVRE and Tamiya ones I found photos of Mk.IIIs in Normandy, some with extra armour. That's when I paused for a re-think, and got involved with other builds.  I'm up to my armpits with Spitfires at the moment, for the STGB and the 80th anniversary for the Battle of Britain, but I'll get there. 😉

Edited by Retired Bob
missing word
  • Like 1

Hi Wayne, weathering is absolutely fantastic!

This is something I am trying to achieve, but the pigments I am usings (AMMO North Africa Dust) turns out far too white. What mix of pigments are you using?

Best,

Nenad

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Wayne, your Churchill is looking great, even down to the bent aerial, that's the first photo I've seen of  a Churchill with the track guards partially removed that was not in Europe, I thought it was a Normandy thing.  Had a quick look at my Mk.III today, at first I was going for a N. African one, then I saw a Russian one with slogans across the turret, that would have looked good, then when I was building the Mk.IV AVRE and Tamiya ones I found photos of Mk.IIIs in Normandy, some with extra armour. That's when I paused for a re-think, and got involved with other builds.  I'm up to my armpits with Spitfires at the moment, for the STGB and the 80th anniversary for the Battle of Britain, but I'll get there. 😉

Thanks Bob,

I know what you mean, I've got far too many projects planned but I doubt there's enough time in the world to get them all finished.

Even though the current situation has given me a little taster of what retirement might be like there is still not enough hours in the day.😁 

7 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Hi Wayne, weathering is absolutely fantastic!

This is something I am trying to achieve, but the pigments I am usings (AMMO North Africa Dust) turns out far too white. What mix of pigments are you using?

Best,

Nenad

Thank's Nenad

I used a blend of Mig's Europe Earth and North Africa Dust in a ratio of around 70%-30% on this one but this vehicle is based more in the plains rather than the desert.

I used the reverse mix on an A13 Cruiser that I finished in the Caunter scheme but I was never really happy with it. 

I'm not convinced of the tones they seem a little yellow to me. Problem is I have no colour photos to work off of so I'm guessing really.

I am about to start weathering an A9 Cruiser that I have painted in the Caunter scheme and I might try something different this time. I was thinking of using less pigments and more heavily thinned acrylic paints to get the same dusty effect. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, diablo rsv said:

Even though the current situation has given me a little taster of what retirement might be like there is still not enough hours in the day.😁 

Hi Wayne, yes it's a strange situation, I did not have any plans to retire, the earliest would have been late this year, a Telford retirement party.  Then almost 2 years ago I had some health issues and since then I have been full time modeller.  But as you are finding out it still doesn't  mean you get many more models finished, generally most people think you must be making models because you are bored and try to give you something to do. :(

• Like 1

Wow! Now that's really impressive! You have really captured the look of the actual tank!! Very well done! 

Take care and stay well.

Stix

• Thanks 1

Hi Wayne,

You've done a superb job on a great subject. I do love a Churchill because they 'bare' their tracks so well. Workable metal tracks are an absolute must. and you've weathered yours to perfection. I can hear them squeak as the sand and grit gets right in there and polishes them. I can also feel the heat radiating off them and can smell fried eggs.

It would have been nice to see at least a commander figure, but I guess those are really only required for dioramas or vignettes. 

Really good photography was well. I must have a search for you other works of art.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Wow! Now that's really impressive! You have really captured the look of the actual tank!! Very well done! 

Take care and stay well.

Stix

Thank you very much Stix!

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Hi Wayne,

You've done a superb job on a great subject. I do love a Churchill because they 'bare' their tracks so well. Workable metal tracks are an absolute must. and you've weathered yours to perfection. I can hear them squeak as the sand and grit gets right in there and polishes them. I can also feel the heat radiating off them and can smell fried eggs.

It would have been nice to see at least a commander figure, but I guess those are really only required for dioramas or vignettes. 

Really good photography was well. I must have a search for you other works of art.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thank you very much Badder, I love your description, very much appreciated.

The AFV Club workable track links are plastic but I really liked them apart from the ejector pin marks that I mentioned above.

I need to brush up on my figure painting skills which is why I don't include them. I feel unless they are done right they can spoil the whole look of the model.

I have got a couple of dioramas that I am planning on doing so I will need to practice on some in the near future.

Photography is another of my too many hobbies and interests so it's nice to be able to combine them.

Cheers

Wayne 

3 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

The AFV Club workable track links are plastic but I really liked them apart from the ejector pin marks that I mentioned above.

I need to brush up on my figure painting skills which is why I don't include them. I feel unless they are done right they can spoil the whole look of the model.

I have got a couple of dioramas that I am planning on doing so I will need to practice on some in the near future.

Photography is another of my too many hobbies and interests so it's nice to be able to combine them

Hi Wayne,

Silly me, of course the tracks are plastic. I totally forgot they aren't metal, mainly because yours look so much like metal!

If it makes you feel any better, my figure painting is my weakest branch of our hobby, and I too need to practice more. My fingers aren't too good at fine detail brushwork though, due to nerve damage, but if I spent hours on each face, I might be able to come up with something reasonable.

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2020 at 18:53, Yetifan said:

Terrific paint job and the tracks are excellent, superb job 🙂

22 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Superb, Just superb - well done, a wonderful result mate.

Thank you very much!😁

On 5/6/2020 at 3:11 AM, diablo rsv said:

Yup, I agree.  One of the reasons I don't even do aircraft in flight. 

Gaz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 5:35 AM, diablo rsv said:

This is the AFV Club 1/35th Churchill Mk.III. 

I based it on an image of a Churchill tank and infantry advancing near Medjez-el-Bab, Tunisia, 8 May 1943.

The model was built as it comes with the exception of AFV club's individual link workable tracks.

I found it quite an enjoyable kit to put together. I did read that some modelers didn't like the way the running gear goes together but I can't say that I found it particularly troublesome.

The base colour is MRP's Khaki Green No3 (MRP-333). The stripes are basically Tamiya's Buff which was applied over a layer of hairspray so that it could be chipped and scratched off to give a worn look.

The idea was to represent a rapidly applied camouflage where they had used locally sourced materials. I hand painted the outline and then filled in the stripes with the airbrush because I really could't be bothered to mask it all. 

Weathering was applied using with my usual mix of pigments, thinned paints, graphite and oils to try and give a dirty dusty appearance.

This is the photo of the tank that I was trying to represent. I'm not sure which regiment it belonged to as there seems to be conflicting information. Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me.  @Das Abteilung ?

After looking at the photo of the actual tank in my original post it was very obvious how under nourished AFV's kit barrel is, so I have replaced it with the RB models one. I had also missed what appears to be 

a rolled up dust shield on the glacis plate. 

This is a close-up to show the stowed dust cover. I fabricated it from some photo etch fret and milliput. I'm not sure how accurate it is as my reference photos are limited.

BOHlrfh.jpg

UL9VOzU.jpg?1

Any advice and critique is welcomed.

Regards

Wayne

G'day Wayne

What a simply stunning job. I am currently working on the AFV Club, and after gluing what seems like 2693 parts together, it is done.  I really hope I can bring the weathering off like you have

Seeing as you asked for advice/ critique, Ithought I would just mention, in the above shots, you can see the inside faces of the road wheels have not been weathered as much as the outside faces, completely understandable, but it does stand out in the above two angles. Nitpicky, I know, but I hope you accept it in good faith, as it jars somewhat from the excellent weathering

Regards

Bruce

• Thanks 1