Hasegawa 1/48 Douglas A-4H Skyhawk

My project to complete all the Hasegawa Skyhawks in my stash is now complete. This is their A-4H with Quickboost resin cannons (although the barrels were replaced by Albion Alloys brass tubing) and Armycast decals. A longer build article is at https://jonbryon.com/hasegawa-1-48-douglas-a-4h-skyhawk/, but the TL;DR is:

Built mainly from the box with some small modifications (filled in leading edge slat wells, some parts removed/filled in, fin on leading edge of tail added from plastic card). Paint is mostly Mr Color except for the green, which is MRP. All of the camouflage is free-handed, not with my usual Iwata Custom Micron, but with an H&S Evolution for a softer demarcation. The finish is Tamiya XF-86 that was thinned about 50/50 with Mr Rapid Thinner. 

There's lots wrong with it - I wish I'd faired in the intake lips properly, the canopy isn't installed very well, and there are the faltering first steps of doing some oil paint rendering - but I'm happy enough with it in the display case.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

Jon

a4h_39m.jpg

a4h_67.jpg

a4h_61.jpg

a4h_55m.jpg

a4h_50m.jpg

a4h_65.jpg

a4h_70.jpg

a4h_62.jpg

a4h_46-1.jpg

a4h_63.jpg

a4h_47m.jpg

a4h_36m.jpg

a4h_51m.jpg

a4h_58m.jpg

a4h_54m.jpg

a4h_60.jpg

a4h_64.jpg

a4h_59m.jpg

a4h_48-1.jpg

a4h_31.jpg

a4h_33.jpg

Edited by Jon Bryon
  • Like 35

That looks amazing.  I built one of these many years ago and I might just have been inspired to build another.

7 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

There's lots wrong with it

Not sure I agree ;)

• Like 1

The model isn't just excellent. It's superlative. The weathering is perfect, not too little and not too much. When I saw weathering even in the slat wells, I knew this one was built by a master. You are far more critical of your work, I suspect, than even the best among us would be. Keep doing what you're doing. The results will always shine.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Muzz said:

How are you finding the rapid thinner?

I like it for very fine airbrush work as it flashes off quicker and reduces spidering. It also makes the flat clear dry quicker, which is useful.

Cheers

Jon

• Like 1

That is nice!

The A-4 is one of my favourite aircraft and you have done this one beautifully.  The weathering, and the accentuation of the panel lines is just right - not too much, not too little.  Well done!

• Like 1

The graceful lines, yet brutal punch of the Skyhawk have been replicated with flawless perfection by you.  My compliments for an outstanding effort!!!! :clap2:

Mike

• Like 1