MFG2 Tornado, Revell

mirageiv

Hi guys,

My entry for this GB will be the Revell Tornado IDS built as a Marineflieger Tornado of MFG2 during the late 80's. 

The base kit

L1190795

extras from this,

L1190799

The goal is something like this, I quite fancy a sharp fresh paint job, these did get heavily weathered later where the grey and green colours become almost one but not so much in the timeframe I plan on building. 

img_1837-1024x576.jpg

Some extras here,

L1190796

I also have some Eduard Kormorans somewhere to make a fully loaded model.

Thanks for looking,

David 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 12

On 4/27/2020 at 10:11 PM, zebra said:

Good luck with the build. I like the colour scheme you’ve chosen - Tornadoes looked a lot better in the 80s and 90s before the all turned grey and boring.

Agreed! German Tornados had the best camo schemes imho, I just wish somebody would cover them properly in decals!

From reading about this kit quite a bit in preparation and getting some build tips from fellow members, apparently it can be a bit of a pain in construction. Whilst I haven't found it too bad you definitely need to do plenty of test fitting and removal/modification of lots of locating lugs to get things lined up I've found, goes together quite well though! There are plenty of little inaccuracies dotted around and I'll try to correct or improve some of them. 

First up the nose. Revell for some reason made the incorrect length in the nose cone, it should extend back to the panel line behind the cone,

L1190818 copy

filling the seam would sort out the shape in profile form, but when you angle the model you can see the panel behind the nose isn't circular and leaves an odd kink in profile. I guess you could build up the profile with filler here with the associated shrinkage problems but more importantly it will be harder to get a round nose if you do this. 

L1190817

So I decided to cut off the panel behind the cone, glue it to the cone and then will blend and shape a proper round cone of the correct length, then join and blend in the fuselage behind this. I don't think Revell quite got this area behind the nose right either (it looks too square) so maybe this will improve things, winging it though!

L1190823

L1190824

The odd kink at a better angle,

L1190825

I'm leaving that to set up to avoid any shrinkage and will blend it all in.

Marineflieger Tornados seemingly always had the wings at 45 deg sweep when parked up so I closed up all the flaps and slats. I thought it would be quicker to close up all the flaps and slats also but it turned out to take ages to get a nice result, lots of test fitting and stretched sprue/cyano (top) to get a cleaner wing,

L1190829

Doing this gave some quite thick trailing edges so these were thinned quite a lot, top as the kit provides and bottom thinned out,

L1190833

finished

L1190835

Another problem to sort out in the kit, there isn't much anhedral in the wings to I tried to impart some more. I angled down the pivot points and sanded some of the hinge mechanism to facilitate the extra anhedral,

L1190842

Then the corresponding locator was bent to match,

L1190841

I'm not sure exactly what the anhedral angle is but I used this picture: TornadoIDS-4464-C130.jpg

I still don't think I have quite enough but it is close enough for me, trying to add any more became difficult due to the design of the kit here..

L1190847

I'll be using intake covers btw which saves lots of trouble on this kit.

L1190848

As I thinned the trailing edges of the wings considerably, the resin insert wing seals by BM member Shaun didn't fit so good anyone, they are designed for min sweep and flaps/slats out so this wasn't surprising. Instead I used the kit wing seals and sanded some folds into the material. After checking quite a few photos they seemed to vary from very folded to completely flat so I just copied some I saw,

L1190845

Nice and tight with the trailing edges, they need a little blending but I'm real happy with them,

L1190853

After that was sorted I glued the wings at 45 degrees sweep then ignored the exact build method in the instructions and built the rear fuselage up as recommended by fellow BM member Sebastian. I thinned the sides of the intake tunnels near where the exterior intakes sides attach a significant amount which seemed to help greatly with the fit here. Lots of test fitting and removal/mod of locating lugs gave a pretty decent fit, not Tamiya but not bad at all. The black blobs are black surfacer taking care of some sink marks. I'll let this cure out before I clean things up in places with Zap a gap. 

L1190850

To double check this method works I test fitted the forward fuselage 

L1190860

It fitted really well! I'll now start on the cockpit and forward areas.

Thanks for looking,

David 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 14

On 5/7/2020 at 9:27 PM, reini said:

Cheers Reini! I have a few sheets already by Hahen and tbh I've never been overly satisfied with them (for example the MFG2 Tornado badge in their sheet is wrong shape) but maybe I will still get some if needed. I'm planning on combing the Wingman and Heller ones to get the best result, we will see, the Heller ones are actually ok after testing a few but quite a few are out of register so I'll pic and choose. 

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

But not enough!

I am missing 4 tone green standard camo decals ...

Hopefully Wingman will follow through with the rest of the schemes, why they choose the less interesting grey schemes for their first release I do not understand! 

Cheers,

David

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 2

Impressive work. Think this is becoming the 'go-to' thread for advice on how to get the best from the Revell kit.

Also couldn't help remembering how everyone criticised the old Italeri kit for not having deployed flaps and now the last few projects I've seen involve everyone trying to close these features on the Revell kit :lol: 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

Wingman?

Very quiet lately.... :(

In general or with the Tornado decals? I read the initial release of Tornado decals didn't sell overly well and maybe further releases have been shelved....again I'd assume  grey Tornado sheets wouldn't sell as well as the cooler 80's schemes so still not sure why they released those first! Maybe Caracal decals might lend a hand, I might message the owner to suggest doing some as there still is a big gap here for someone to fill. 

19 minutes ago, Col. said:

Impressive work. Think this is becoming the 'go-to' thread for advice on how to get the best from the Revell kit.

Also couldn't help remembering how everyone criticised the old Italeri kit for not having deployed flaps and now the last few projects I've seen involve everyone trying to close these features on the Revell kit :lol: 

Cheers Col! I don't know about the go to thread...just trying to semi-sort (defo winging it) some of the problems with the kit with a lot of help from builds like General Melchetts GR1 :) . So far it is pretty good but it does have a whole host of little errors here and there that add up imho....I'll see how much I can fix and still try get it done in time. Yep 'the point' of this kit is probs the flaps/slats but I thought it would be quicker to meet the deadline closing them all up, definitely was not the case! 

David 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Haha 1