Airfix 1/72 NA P-51D mustang (MkIVa)

Hi guys and girls 

I'm back again this time with a mustang. I wanted to do one in a British livery and also try out some metallic paint for the first time and opted for the AK xtreme metal range. I used the black base, polished aluminium an aluminium left it about a day and a half. It was dry to the touch so picked it up to carry on and after a few seconds the paint seemed to start to go soft thus ruining the paint job, so rubbed the areas back and tried again. All was well until I tried to mask off panels for the variation and ruined the paint again. After about 4 attempts I have a finish that's ok if you dont get too close haha. I snapped the port side tailplane off twice and the antenna was just a blob of flash and was unsalvagable so was whittled out of a match stick. The aftermarket wheels which stated, they were for Airfix didnt fit as they have small round holes and the kit legs have a block shape which snapped when the wheels went on. To be honest the whole undercarrage part was a struggle for me, I have clubbing off the fingers and it's a challenge I can tell you. Anyway enough with the things that went wrong, fun build, it'll stay in the display cabinet as long as it holds up lol

One word on the Xtradecal X72131, either they are wrong or I have messed up. The roundels on the wings state to have the small ones on top and the large on the bottom. Hopefully I'm right. 

Here it is.....

Airfix 1/72 P-51 MkIVa build

Thanks for having a look, Stay safe. 

Dave.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Very smart finish.:thumbsup2: And I would say you are right and they are wrong about the wing roundels.

Cheers Truro, thanks for confirming.

19 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Looks nice, you fixed any finish issues rather well.  I built one of these a month ago and the landing gear was very fragile.

Thanks jeaton01, they are indeed.