A pair of Skyhawks

zebra

About 6 weeks left and I reckon it's not too late for another entry - or two in this case. A pair of Hasegawa 1/48 Skyhawks.

First up is an A-4C. This will be a Naval Air Test Center aircraft, using Two Bobs decals:

Hasegawa 1/48 A-4C

The NATC used Skyhawks to test ordnance at China Lake in the 60s and 70s so it needs something to test. I found a photo online of the aircraft in question carrying an orange and black Walleye guided bomb, so I'll be using a Daco resin Walleye. Other aftermarket will be a Quickboost seat and Hypersonic corrected nose undercarriage door.

The second one will be a Brazilian Navy TA-4KU, known as an AF-1B in Brazilian service. This is the Hasegawa TA-4J with a resin conversion by Phase Hangar. I built an OA-4M using the Phase Hangar conversion late last year - it was pretty straightforward, this should be the same, if not easier, as it's slightly simpler as i don't have to replace the kit's nose.

Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4J

I'll be using Quickboost seats on this one, and decals from FCM. 

I've made a start already - a bit of paint on the interior, fitted the jetpipes and so on. Nothing that's really worth photographing yet - will post an update soon.

cheers

Julian

• Like 7

Great to see these two Julian I do love a twin seat Skyhawk, a timely reminder to get my finger out on my own build although I'm completely out

of some paints now white being the main one.Good luck with these to I'll be checking in.

• Thanks 1

You've picked a couple of less common and more interesting Skyhawks there Julian :) 

Edited by Col.
  • Thanks 1

I'd better get on with these two. I haven't put anything extra into the cockpits - just assembled, painted and used the kit decals for the instrument panels. First stage of the mods to the two-seater is done - removal of the fairing behind the cockpit to make room for the ECM hump. Here are the completed fuselages waiting to be cleaned up:

Skyhawk WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 6

I've been concentrating on the Lincoln and the decals for the EC-24A and NKC-135A so not a huge amount of progress - but did get the resin hump onto the TA-4KU's fuselage:

TA-4KU WIP

• Like 3

More progress:

Skyhawk WIP

One thing here that I wouldn't usually do is close the leading edge slats, which I've done for the A-4C. There are two photos of the aircraft I'm modelling - BuNo 147781 - here, with the slats closed and carrying a Walleye so I'm going for that configuration. Interestingly it also seems to have coroguard on the leading edge, which also seems unusual.

More soon, but I might need to get back to the EC-24A and NKC-135A for a bit.

• Like 5

I seem to have forgotten to post a few updates! A-4C is half way through painting:

A-4C WIP

The AF-1A has some paint on as well, just haven't photographed it yet. Maybe tomorrow.

cheers

Julian

• Like 6

Painting done and decals on. First the A-4C:

A-4C WIP

Decals went on ok but the national insignia needed an awful lot of Micro Sol to bed down over the vortex generators, which worked ok in the end but there are a few small tears in the decal that I'll need to touch up. One stuff-up - the China Lake on the tail is misaligned - I put the Lake on first and didn't realise I'd put it in the wrong place until the China went on. Going to have to live with it I think.

Next the AF-1A - the FCM decals went on very nicely:

AF-1A WIP

I'm pretty confident these will be finished next weekend.

Thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 6

I seem to have forgotten to take photos along the way again! A-4C is finished, AF-1A isn't far off. Here's the A-4C - more in the gallery shortly:

1/48 A-4C

cheers

Julian

• Like 2