Matchbox Heinkel He 115 (Revell Rebox) [***Finished***]

I'm excited - this is my first entry on a Group Build! Please be kind, guys, and forgiving... 

😉

I'd like to enter with the Revell rebox of the venerable Matchbox PK 401, Red Line. It's this:

38399752hi.jpg

I definitely was a kid when building this for the first time, for sure I was younger than 10. We're talking mid-seventies, and it's likely I start listening to some ELO, T-Rex and Abba while building this. 😉 I am not 100% sure if this very Matchbox kit was the first kit I ever build with my dad, but for sure it was among my favourites, along with the Orange Line Swordfish (which I already paid some tribute by building the Trumpeter kit some time ago), the Airfix Westland Scout blistered thing and the Viggen for it's strange wings layout (yes, I have the Special Hobby kit in my stash. With splinter masks). While writing this, I think I remember that the very kit I ever made on my own was the Percival Provost, PK coloured red and white, and was absolutely proud when I finished it. I must have been six or seven then.

As you might have guessed, I was a Matchbox kid.

For the original of the Matchbox kit, have a look here, and if you enter this site uncautious (and sport the same affections like me - which I know you do, otherwise you wouldn't be here), it might kill some time.

I am not 100% sure what I would like to build exactly, most likely option 1 from the Matchbox kit, Küstenfliegergruppe 406, Norway 42, in attractive winter scheme. But - as I build it unpainted way back then - it might be that I depict it unpainted, three-colour Matchbox scheme, as well. Nevertheless I want to make this as good as possible, as it was the most excellent kit for me way back then - and I will try to pay tribute to it. I can't promise for Resin engines or Photo etch parts, as this will depend on availability, but I sure plan some rescribing and already ordered a needle over at Uschi's. 

What i would of course enjoy most is to have a lot of discussions about building old kits and how to treat them, so I will often ask for contribution. I hope that's ok and allowed.

So, for a start, thanks for your time and take your seat.

• Like 19

It was the first in the "New" Red Range kits from 1975, and what a beast! Twin engines, big floats and a greenhouse for a canopy, plus 3 decal options and some wacky colours, you got a lot for your money back then (85p when first released).

Have fun building it. Do it straight from the box and you'll end up with a very nice kit.

Mike.

• Like 1

It was the first of the "big" Matchbox kits that I bought. Finished in the Arctic camouflage option it made for a very impressive model. I prefered it to the FROG version, which is also available from Revell.

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

What i would of course enjoy most is to have a lot of discussions about building old kits and how to treat them, so I will often ask for contribution. I hope that's ok and allowed.

Welcome to the GB Chief with a great Matchbox classic, even if it is in a Revell box.

You are more than welcome to ask questions and it is most definitely allowed, we are all here to help each other with our various builds and come up with ways to sort any potential problems.

I look forward to your build as I too built one of these in my youth and remember it fondly.

• Like 2

Welcome to your first Group Build, Chief Chohiba.

Matchbox kits arrived just as I stopped being 'kid', so I'm glad that youngsters like you are flying their flag :winkgrin:.

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

Welcome to your first Group Build, Chief Chohiba.

Matchbox kits arrived just as I stopped being 'kid', so I'm glad that youngsters like you are flying their flag :winkgrin:.

Cheers

...it's so long someone called me "Youngster" that I can't even remember... 😄

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

Welcome to your first GB chief, and thanks for the great intro.
Hope you have a lot of fun and lots of nostalgic feelings along the way.

...that's what I'm here for, fun, and dive into those nostalgia build. Isn't it an essential part of our hobby that we feel little bit of a kid again, when we nail those bitsies together? 😉

Thanks for welcoming me! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great choice of kit, Chief Cohiba (?!). I never built any Matchbox or one of these kits as a kid but did several fairly recently and was immediately a confirmed fan. Very well engineered kit and a lovely build - I'll enjoy watching you on this one. All the best. Mike.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive always liked the Heinkel 115 and may have to build one someday soon. Until then I will follow this one. 

Dennis

So welcome here, make yourself comfortable. I think this Heinkel started a lifelong affection with the combined things air and sea, this and the Airfix Catalina, I remember my dad went to buy with me on my first day at school, and I followed him building this thing together. Oh, that's another one to build, but not for today!

Cheers, and hope I'll do this kit and my childhood memory of this right.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ventora3300 said:

Great choice of kit, Chief Cohiba (?!). I never built any Matchbox or one of these kits as a kid but did several fairly recently and was immediately a confirmed fan. Very well engineered kit and a lovely build - I'll enjoy watching you on this one. All the best. Mike.

The name's from my love for smoking cuban stuff, and the head on Cohiba cigars shows the chief of the Taino indians, hence the nick. It's some 20 years old, but some kind of sticks. 😉

In Vienna of the seventies those Matchbox kit where just the thing for a kid, and I neckdive deep into nostalgia, when I see those multicoloured sprues...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

The name's from my love for smoking cuban stuff, and the head on Cohiba cigars shows the chief of the Taino indians,

Might just be the coolest name on the forum 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now, just imagine Revell would have had a heart and had thought of the community of modellers lorn in their childhood memories of the early seventies. Or simply: US!

Then, it might have been that you open the box, and just find THIS:

38412401eq.jpg

You pull out the plastic bag, and, ooooooohhh:

38412402tn.jpg

You pull the sprues out, it's just like this:

38412422kz.jpg

38412428zn.jpg

Ok, so if someone from Revell is reading this, please just consider it for your next rebox. And: I can tell you the colours. Best of all: these are all Revell colours!

Well, I guess you can call me childish with full justification, but I just had to do this. I feel much better now. It looks just - RIGHT! This kit is whole again. Only thing that's missing ist the M-shaped stand...

And, honestly: who of you didn't think of doing this? 😄

• Like 12

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Love the original multi coloured plastic Chief!

Well, "original" - I tried to get close. But it was fun mixing it to something that comes close...

Yes, you can call me childish. 😉

• Like 2

So then, welcome to this kindergarten of a build! 😄

Apart from mixing colours to paint sprues, I am a bit stuck on things right now. I'm waiting for a scribing needle from Uschi van der Rosten, created an account at Hannants yesterday to order some bits, but can't do that much just now.

So maybe I through in this round a question; very general, what are your thoughts and how far would you go in "improving" this kit?

From my point of view there are some mayor issues on this:

1.) the surface detailing, there are only minor lines to represent structures and panes, as just some raised lines, almost nothing on the airframe. To me this is maybe the mayor issue, as this whill have th most visible effect. I plan - as already stated - to do a larger rescribing, including some rivet lines. Will be some work, but otherwise pretty straightforward.

2.) Then, interiour detail; I've seen that Hannants do have some PE sets for this left, if I get one, I'll stuff it in.  Check.

3.) Engines: as I do have an affection of engines, I would love to put some proper engines in. I only have found some Russian shop selling Resin engines of the BMW 132 via Ebay, which do not look the best I've ever seen, but definitely better than what's in the kit. 

4.) and last, and the most challenging part of it: the canopies. These are of course not by any means up to modern standards - but honestly by far not as bad I was afraid of. I've seen that kit Vacuform for this kit exists, but have never done one before and shying away a bit. So, either could dive into something new, or just leave it like this.

So, just to keep the build flowing, at least intellectually: what's your oppinion on these issues?

Many thanks, Guenther   

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

I've seen that kit Vacuform for this kit exists, but have never done one before and shying away a bit. So, either could dive into something new, or just leave it like this.

Vacu-form canopies aren't super hard to do. I use scissors and fine razor saws to get close to the edges then slowly file the edges back till you have the fit you need. They glue on using the same glues for normal plastic. If you buy anything for this get a masking set for the canopy. If memory serves these had a bitdcage of a canopy and will be a challenge to mask otherwise. 
      The BMW-132 was a licence copy of the Pratt & Whitney R-1690 Hornet, from Wiki. 

BMW took over a license for manufacturing air-cooled radial engines from Pratt & Whitney on 3 January 1928. The nine-cylinder model Pratt & Whitney R-1690 Hornet was initially manufactured virtually unchanged under the designation BMW Hornet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_132

Maybe you can find a resin of the P&W Hornet ?  These are the aircraft that used the Hornet. 

Applications of engines:

Bach Air Yacht

Bellanca 31-40

Boeing 80

Boeing Model 95

Boeing Model 299

Burnelli UB-14

Douglas O-38

Focke-Wulf Fw 200 V1

Junkers Ju 52

Junkers Ju 86

Junkers W 34

Keystone B-3

Lockheed Model 14 Super Electra (L-14H)

Lockheed Lodestar (C-56A, C-56B, C-56C, C-56D, C-56E, C-59/Mk 1a)

Martin XB-14

Vought O2U Corsair

Sikorsky S-40A

Sikorsky S-42

Sikorsky S-43

Wedell-Williams Model 44

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-1690_Hornet

There has to be models of some of these and you possibly could get the engines from them as well ? 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1