UK SAR helicopters Golden Yellow

oldsarbouy

Humbrol 69 is OK for police helicopters but RAF Rescue Yellow is BS356. Xtracrylix XA1019, which is deeper. I've not got a Halfords equivalent at present, though  will have to find one.

Update. I use these guys.

https://www.riolettcustomaerosols.co.uk/products/british-standard-colour-golden-yellow-356-aerosol-spray-paint/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 1:57 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Better yet, build a proper SAR helicopter - grey & red

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

Don't talk rubbish....Green SAR 772 NAS obvious Colour

There's the combination of the two, of course - weren't the first SAR Wessex HU.5s green and red?

Edited by andyf117

Just boats?  Oh, you mean apart from the busiest SAR unit in the country year after year, covering the whole of the West coast of Scotland... including hundreds of mountains?  

[819 NAS (later Gannet SAR Flight), of which I was privileged to ge Senior Pilot...]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Just boats?  Oh, you mean apart from the busiest SAR unit in the country year after year, covering the whole of the West coast of Scotland... including hundreds of mountains?  

[819 NAS (later Gannet SAR Flight), of which I was privileged to ge Senior Pilot...]

Isn't Fish-head the Wafu's term for a sailor? Hence only with boats...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

🎣

Just a little bite......

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 5:00 PM, PLC1966 said:

The fish-heads did SAR ?

Thinks: "I will not join in...I will not join in...I will not join in... "

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Oh, you mean apart from the busiest SAR unit in the country year after year, covering the whole of the West coast of Scotland... including hundreds of mountains

"...I will not join in...I will not join in..."

22 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Just a little bite......

😂 Always great sport! 

And yes, I've done shifts at Prestwick 👍

Jon (currently on shift with a 3/4 ex-RAF, 1/4 ex-RN crew)

PS. The RAF SAR yellow was usually 'deeper' than Hu69 but there was a lot of variation between aircraft, and even different parts of the same aircraft. Don't feel that it is necessary to get too bogged down in the precise hue. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Isn't Fish-head the Wafu's term for a sailor?

I believe so, which is why crabs found it so satisfying when openly applied to a 'naval aviator'. 😉 Really wouldn't know, myself. 👼

• Haha 1

Dragging this topic back to the question asked, I have used Halfords Broom Yellow which gave a reasonable rebdition of Golden Yellow to my eyes.

22 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Whole of the west coast? I never saw or heard of the 'SAR is a secondary role' brigade north of Fort Bill. To me, the west coast doesn't even begin till about Torridon

On 5/17/2020 at 8:20 PM, torqueofthedevil said:

Whole of the west coast? I never saw or heard of the 'SAR is a secondary role' brigade north of Fort Bill. To me, the west coast doesn't even begin till about Torridon

You’re right, in that we normally operated South of Skye, but I flew more than one sortie well to the North of Stornoway after taking on fuel there.  As for secondary role, for the Squadron as a whole maybe (we were employed by the MoD after all), but the HU5 grey & red aircraft was bugger all use for anything else; sonar and sonic all removed.  So unless the primary role was GFP & Autos...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Jonners said:

I believe so, which is why crabs found it so satisfying when openly applied to a 'naval aviator'. 😉 Really wouldn't know, myself. 👼

Never really bothered us though.  Nice try.

Right; I’m not going to post on this thread any more, cos it’s not fair to the builder!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Right; I’m not going to post on this thread any more, cos it’s not fair to the builder!

You're right, Crisp; banter switch to OFF! Let's face it, the colour of our hardware and where we used it was of rather less significance than the fact that we did our bit to help people (and still do). Quite a club, then as now.

10 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

Dragging this topic back to the question asked, I have used Halfords Broom Yellow which gave a reasonable rebdition of Golden Yellow to my eyes

That's useful, Nigel; I have a years-old but unopened tinlet of Xtracolour RAF Rescue Yellow in my paint box, but the Broom Yellow option is one that I'll file away for future consideration. Thanks.

OSB: Apologies for assisting in the thread drift, especially as you asked a very good question!

Jon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonners said:

That's useful, Nigel; I have a years-old but unopened tinlet of Xtracolour RAF Rescue Yellow in my paint box, but the Broom Yellow option is one that I'll file away for future consideration. Thanks.

Always good to have an option, especially, if like mine, your years-old Xtracolor tin of RAF Rescue Yellow turns out to be an entirely different shade...

....mine was more lemon than golden - and now I come to think of it, I probably got it at the same time as the tin of ANA 501 True Blue that wasn't!