Airfix F-18 Hornet- FINISHED

Morning all, mind if I join in?

Looking for inspiration of what to build next, I chanced upon this group build on the very day it started...fate, or what?

When I was 13 I built the new Airfix Hornet, and tried to paint it as the blue and white 3rd prototype, but made a bit of a mess of it. For the first time ever in my modelling life, I decided to repaint it in the alternative low viz scheme, and used the spare decals on it. I'd always just accepted ropey builds before, but this was the first time I went the whole hog to improve one, so marked a bit of a turning point for me. I still have the result, badly repaired, covered in dust, flaking decals, yellowed plastic parts and all:

hornet4.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

hornet5.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

At Cosford last year, I managed to find a copy of the original 1980 boxing, complete with decals for the prototype in excellent condition, and the idea of a nostalgia build was born:

hornet1.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The bag with the parts was still sealed from the factory. 🙂 

hornet2.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Even the invitation to join the Airfix club was in there...

hornet3.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I'm intending this to be finished as the 3rd prototype that I cocked up the first time around...it's only taken me 40 years to get round to it! 

More when it happens,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer
  • Like 11

Right, I'm under way. Opening the 40 year old bag felt a bit sacrilegious, but that's what the kit was made for after all. The parts were still factory fresh:

hornet6.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

hornet7.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

As were the decals, surprisingly:

hornet8.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Once the parts started to go together though, it was apparent that a lot of fit problems were in the offing. The fuselage was the first to offend, requiring copious amounts of filler along the joint, particularly below the fins and under the strakes:

hornet9.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

A few rounds of putty-sand-repeat later, I realised that careful planning was going to be necessary with this build to ensure that all the ill-fitting parts could be reached to be puttied and sanded. To that end, the fins were attached and filled next, as fitting the wings would have made sanding difficult:

hornet10.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The intakes were constructed of three parts each, which necessitated sanding the seams inside and out before fitting them. Then the fit with the fuselage and the missile pallets was gapalicious...putty is drying on these gaps as I type...

hornet11.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

More when it happens,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer
  • Like 8

After a fair bit of puttying and sanding, the intakes and missile pallets are now something like, and so it was time to add the wings- which surprisingly went on without any need for filler. Strakes next, then more filling...

hornet12.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

hornet13.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

More when it happens,

Dean

• Like 9

The strakes went on after much fettling, and then some filler was applied to the joints top and bottom:

hornet14.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

hornet15.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Once that had been sanded, primed, inspected, rejected, reapplied, sanded and primed again, it was just about acceptable:

hornet16.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Then it was time for a bit of tricky masking to get the unusual dark blue design on it...I say unusual, as the blue areas on the wings were different top and bottom:

hornet17.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

hornet18.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

A few touch ups needed here and there, yet. I've also masked and sprayed the two colours on the nose cone:

hornet19.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

I'm currently in the process of painting the underwing stores...I wasn't going to bother, as I rarely hang things under my planes, but as I built the original with them I felt I had to do the same for this build.

More when it happens,

Dean

• Like 11

Shiny shiny...

hornet20.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

hornet21.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

hornet22.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

So, the Tamiya X-22 glosscoat thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinner went on well, and has been drying overnight. Decals later, methinks...

More when it happens,

Dean

• Like 7

Nuts...

tra(1).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

Disintegrated instantly on contact with water. I've given the rest of the sheet a coat of decal film...fingers crossed that works.

I'll let you know,

Dean

• Sad 1

Thanks for the comments so far folks... 🙂 

Right, the decals were VERY tricky, but with a coat of decal film they just about held together long enough to transfer to the model. The stars and bars were so badly out of register that I couldn't use them, so I had to use aftermarket ones of the same size. The ones on the fuselage will need a bit of touching up in white, as the diagonal blue stripe shows through them, and the slight yellowing on the original decals isn't that visible. Another (final) gloss coat next, and I can get on with a bit of detail painting...

hornet24.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

hornet25.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

hornet26.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

More when it happens,

Dean

• Like 7

Right, this would be the last update...the cockpit parts and windscreen have been installed, everything has been painted, and only final assembly remains. The airframe currently looks like this:

hornet27.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

...and the number of bits left to attach looks like this, including ten (yes-ten!) gear doors:

hornet28.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

More when it's finished,

Dean

• Like 9