Tamiya Extra Thin Cement aternatives

CasualModel98

So I ran out of this and the LHS are all closed but not the hardware stores.  I began searching for the ingredients and found the MSDS. So sharing here for record and in case others want to know.

Tamiya extra thin cement main ingredients are 50% Butyl Acetate and 50% Acetone.

http://www.hobby2you.eu/catalog/sikkerhedsblade/543459.pdf

Tamiya extra thin cement quick setting ingredients are 40% Ethyl Acetate, 40% Acetone and 20% Butanone

https://cdn.simba-dickie-group.de/downloads/300087182/300087182_MSDS_TAMIYA_Extra_Thin_Cement_Quick-Setting_02-2018.pdf

Ehyl Acetate evaporates faster than the Butyl version and is a hotter solvent on plastic. 

Butanone as we know is the main ingredient in most polystyrene cement.

On another forum I read that using MEK works as well as the extra thin cement and is hotter. 

I found out the hardware store here sells MEK (but in 3.5 litre tin) so I am going to get it, mix with the Acetone I have lying around the house.

I guess if it works, I will have a lifetime supply of ultra thin glue, ha ha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've used MEK before with excellent results - that's just MEK with no Acetone admixture. It's pretty volatile so good ventilation is a must. In the past, when I was young and daft, I've even used it to attach canopies with no problems

HTH

SD

Methylene chloride is the one I use I get it in a litre bottle off eBay. Cost me about £7 ($10) delivered I pour it into an old Tamiya paint jar to use.

• 5 months later...
On 4/27/2020 at 8:19 AM, CasualModel98 said:

I began searching for the ingredients and found the MSDS. So sharing here for record and in case others want to know.

Tamiya extra thin cement main ingredients are 50% Butyl Acetate and 50% Acetone.

http://www.hobby2you.eu/catalog/sikkerhedsblade/543459.pdf

Having exhausted trying to glue with Mr.Hobby Mr.Cement S (as for my it's not glue, it's 💩, but this very good cleaner for panel line when you scribing panel line!💡

and Mr. Hobby  Mr.Cement something with the help, I took this advice ...in results, now I have 1 liter  "Tamiya Extra Thin Cement" my own manufacturing!😉😁😎 

As no strange, but the most difficult thing here is to buy acetone, good industrial quality .... with butyl acetate, it was more of a problem to find a convenient suitable glass container with a capacity of one liter, because where I bought butyl acetate, they sell it from one liter.

The total cost of all components (0,5 liter acetone and

1 liter butyl acetate)

cost me about $ 5,5.

And yes, it works like Tamiya extra thin cement!

I will have to try to make more according "Tamiya extra thin cement quick"

to this recipe:

On 4/27/2020 at 8:19 AM, CasualModel98 said:

Tamiya extra thin cement quick setting ingredients are 40% Ethyl Acetate, 40% Acetone and 20% Butanone

https://cdn.simba-dickie-group.de/downloads/300087182/300087182_MSDS_TAMIYA_Extra_Thin_Cement_Quick-Setting_02-2018.pdf

😉😁

B.w. anybody know ingredients and  MSDS ordynary "Tamiya Cement"? Non bottle ordynary "Tamiya Cement" written: "Component  Element: 12% Synthetic Resin 88% Styrene Organic Solvent" but of course the chemical composition of these components is not indicated.

B.R.

Serge

I don't recall when I read the tip (may have been here on BM) but Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner is almost the exact same formula as Tamiya Extra Thin.  I gave it a try and Airbrush Cleaner glues styrene just fine.  The only difference I can see is that Airbrush Cleaner has a slight yellowish tint and the Extra Thin is clear.  Here, across the pond, Extra Thin is about $6 USD for 40ml and Airbrush Cleaner about $8 for 250 ml.  That's 3¢ vs. 15¢ per ml and I'm not sure having a bottle cap with a brush is worth 12¢ extra per ml.  Besides, I have two dedicated brushes I use for applying liquid glue.

Lou in California. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, louiex2 said:

I don't recall when I read the tip (may have been here on BM) but Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner is almost the exact same formula as Tamiya Extra Thin.  I gave it a try and Airbrush Cleaner glues styrene just fine. 

Yes it was.  It was on a Russian forum, and probably somewhere here on BM. Maybe was video on YouTube....

The difference is only in the proportion of components for the glue 50% to 50% for the cleaner 49% to 51% (as far as I can remember, but I may be wrong - the memory can malfunction), as for me 1% is not a very big difference.

But the problem is that my local hobby-shop does not have a cleaner either, but the factory and the household market have chemical components for making this glue myself.

B.w. the irritating odor in Tamiya glue creates acetone, because butyl acetate smells like pear, and has the colloquial name "pear essence".

B.R.

Serge 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Aardvark said:

B.w. anybody know ingredients and  MSDS ordynary "Tamiya Cement"? Non bottle ordynary "Tamiya Cement" written: "Component  Element: 12% Synthetic Resin 88% Styrene Organic Solvent" but of course the chemical composition of these components is not indicated.

Found:

http://www.hobby2you.eu/catalog/sikkerhedsblade/543450.pdf

Ordinary  Tamiya Cement have next Component  Element:

Butyl Acetate

123-86-4

40.0% Acetone

67-64-1

40.0% Cyclohexane

110-82-7

7.0%

3-Methoxy-3-Methylbutyl Acetate103429-90-9

2.0% Polystyrene Resin

9003-53-6

11.0%

.....the bottle label says more simplistically.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

All these people mixing different chemicals together with no knowledge of what might happen worries me immensely. I don't have a chemistry background, so wouldn't attempt such a thing. I'll stick to buying the proper stuff. Call me a worrywort but I'd rather know what I'm using and that it's safe..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1