CAC-12 Boomerang

I've had the 1:72 Special Hobby CAC-12 Boomerang kit in my stash for a few years now (if I recall correctly, one of the first ones I purchased when getting into this hobby!) and figured now was as good a time as any to try and build it.

Presenting: The box! As well as some Montex masks and Yahu instrument panel that no one will be able to see when the kit's finished.

spacer.png

My plan is to model A46-62, `Sleepytime Girl,' maybe even with some of the weathering visible in this photo...

spacer.png

To open the can of worms that is RAAF camouflage colors, does anyone have some recommendations for Tamiya approximations for foliage green and earth brown? I'm currently considering XF-70 and XF-10, respectively, but these seem like they're a bit on the dark side.

• Like 6

Started putting it together with, you guessed it, the cockpit. And the engine, too.
spacer.png

A bit more glue and paint, and removing bits that are slightly off position, and the cockpit insert's ready to go.
spacer.png

Just ignore that the seatbelts aren't actually placed properly...
spacer.png

After a wash, with a bit of paint touch-ups the cockpit and fuselage should be essentially ready-to-go.
spacer.png

• Like 8

Well, I was going to say, "watch out for the cockpit, it's really fiddly", but clearly you are more dexterous than I. 

I found it impossible to remove the fuse framing without damaging it and then it was invisible once the canopy went on.  The cockpit rear glazing sections should have scallops behind them, but the sh kit is see-through in that area.

Your work to date looks great.  Have fun with the rest of the build.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Well, I was going to say, "watch out for the cockpit, it's really fiddly", but clearly you are more dexterous than I. 

I found it impossible to remove the fuse framing without damaging it and then it was invisible once the canopy went on.  The cockpit rear glazing sections should have scallops behind them, but the sh kit is see-through in that area.

Yeah, some of these Special Hobby cockpits are bit extreme, and the MC Esher-like instructions certainly don't ameliorate the situation.

That's a good call on the lack of framing just behind the seat. Time to practice some scratch-building...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sesquipedaliac said:

That's a good call on the lack of framing just behind the seat. Time to practice some scratch-building...

Two sections of Airfix Hampden bomb bay sorted it for me.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2020 at 2:42 PM, Sesquipedaliac said:

To open the can of worms that is RAAF camouflage colors, does anyone have some recommendations for Tamiya approximations for foliage green and earth brown?

Ask over at www.aussiemodeller.com.au. There are a heap of knowledgeable people there that will be able to help. I use the Colourcoats enamels myself.

• Thanks 1

On 27/04/2020 at 05:42, Sesquipedaliac said:

To open the can of worms that is RAAF camouflage colors, does anyone have some recommendations for Tamiya approximations for foliage green and earth brown? I'm currently considering XF-70 and XF-10, respectively, but these seem like they're a bit on the dark side.

you'll probably need mixes.   Aussiemodeller will be the place to ask, @Ed Russell  would be a good chap here.  I have a book on RAAF P-39's which has paint chips and nearest FS595 "matches"  if I remember I'll have a look in daylight.

• Thanks 1

The simple answer is our Boomerang update set which comes with painting instructions.

https://www.redroomodels.com/product/red-roo-boomerang-enhancement-set-1-48/

I use enamels so I will have to ask my colleagues about Tamiya paints.

Edit - Looking at some notes I have I am thinking their advice will be "there is no good match for RAAF colours in Tamiya paint" but I will check.

Edit 2 - You can use Tamiya XF-61 for a reasonable approximation of Foliage Green but there was nothing suitable for Earth Brown or RAAF Sky Blue at the time we did the set mentioned above.

• Thanks 1

Tamiya has no RAAF Foliage Green equivalent, XF-70 is close maybe a bit dark. Lighten to your liking or to your references.

Have done this for couple of builds.

spacer.png

spacer.png

SMS has a Folige Green in their range which is a bit lighter than my Tamiya (XF-70 & XF-2) mix

Will try to post samples when I get a chance.

Another paint with a Foliage Green in their range I know of but have no experience with is Lifecolor.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the information!

The framing behind the seat was made with a couple cut pieces of styrene sheet and some cardstock. Turned out alright...spacer.png

spacer.png

Fuselage closed, wings on, some putty and filler sanded down...

spacer.png

It turns out that someone placed the instrument panel too far down and forward to properly mount the gunsight, so that'll just be left off...
spacer.png

Canopy masked and on. One of the landing lights was missing but a bit of clear sprue, cut and sanded into place was sufficient for a replacement (as seen vaguely on the port wing).

spacer.png

Paint and gloss coat on. As recommended earlier in this thread, Tamiya XF-61 (Dark Green) was used for the green. As not recommended earlier on this thread, XF-52 (Flat Earth) was used for the brown, and XF-23 (Light Blue) was used for the underside. Now that the paint's all on, XF-23 seems a bit too dark...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Decal process started. The aviprint.cz decals go on quite nicely and are responsive to Micro Sol.

spacer.pngspacer.png

And it's finished. I'll put up an RFI thread when I remember where I put the light box...

spacer.png

Overall, a decent enough build. There were no particularly insurmountable fit issues and it's reasonably well detailed. Some parts, as usual, were harder to place accurately (looking at you, landing gear doors...), but when finished it looks like a Boomerang, and that's the effect I was going for.

Edited by Sesquipedaliac
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Looking good. Although too late for you Ses , if you look on YouTube for Kermit Weeks Fantasy of Flight he has a very good look over his Boomerang restoration in Australia full of details.

Keith

• Thanks 1