Matchbox kits & Player's Cigarette cards (my youthful memories)

Now I honestly had no intention of signing up to this GB, however reading a few 'Chat' posts and seeing a large number of classic kit build nominations has successfully (or is that stupidly) drawn me in!

When I recall my early childhood years there are a few trigger points that certainly stand out. Like most of us on here, I credit my father for my devout addiction to plastic kit modelling. Not only did he initiate the start of my kit building, but also had a big influence on most of my male cousins as well. The mid-late 70's was all about flared pants and wild colours, so what better way to spend ones pocket money than on a good old Matchbox kit!

Now unbeknown to me at that time, Dad was undergoing a fair bit of medical treatment however he always made the time to take me to the hobby shop, kick a footy in the backyard or spend the evening building the latest plastic kit to add to my growing collection. One day, Dad dusted off an old Kodak Photo box and said, "Here you go son, my father gave me these and now I want you to have them". Inside was hundreds of these small Player's Cigarette cards ranging from old Footballers, Dogs, Cycling to even a set called 'How to prepare for an Air-raid'? My favourite set however was the Royal Air Force collection and here for the first time I read about some sleek (and not so sleek) aircraft of the prewar years. Comparing some of these to the latest Matchbox Catalogue I could match the Hawker Fury, Lysander, Gladiator, Spitfire, Hurricane, Walrus, Swordfish and Wellington. Could you then imagine my excitement when Matchbox came out with such exotic kits such as the Wellesley, Heyford and Stranraer a few years later as here was another three of these Player's cards that I could now model in 1/72 scale! 

Not long after my 8th birthday I heard my Dad's medical condition had a name, it was  called Cancer. A month later at just 44 years of age it all became too much and Dad passed away to end a relatively short but quite fulfilling life. I remember being left with a stash of model kits that he intended to make for me and thought to myself... Christ! how am I going to build all these kits to Dad's standard? Anyway, enough of the soppy stuff!, this is supposed to be a fun GB and I’m making myself sad. 

OK, trawling through my stash I think this is the only kit that qualifies for 'something that I built as a kid'. I would have been about 13 at the time and do remember the Matchbox Wellesley being a great model that always looked odd with that huge wingspan.  Parts of this original kit also seem to surface whenever I delve into the 'spares' box so this is another reason why I want to build this kit for the second time around. I have a set of Pavla's Vac canopies although am not sure I'll use them and may even restore one of the original kit's bomb panniers as something novel to add to this new kit? The choice of scheme is still undecided, however thanks to @tonyot I have a set of the Revell rebox decals so will probably opt for a No. 45 Squadron version. I do have two of these kits so let's see what takes my fancy closer to the painting stage.

Apologies for the long and drawn out intro, however it all helps to tell a story and the reasoning behind what lays ahead. 

Cheers and best of luck to all GB participants.. Dave 

49823878026_c09f203fc5_b.jpg

49823349508_65db156f84_b.jpg

49823349533_c39c87c126_b.jpg

• Like 30

Excellent choice... I was thinking today that if I decided to join the blitz build. I may build my kit for that. Sorry to hear about you Father’s passing. Mine died of Leukemia when i was 4 so I can understand what your feeling. I never got to build with my dad, though I'm sure he would have when I was old enough. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

A great story david, nothing wrong with reminiscing,  i didn't build one of these back then , but i can see there would have been absolutely no need to paint it then,

Probably not now either 😋

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave

Very sorry to read about your dad passing, I was fortunate that i had my dad around much longer but still regret not doing things together. 

So i use this to make my own kids do stuff with me whether they want to or not, which is mostly not, with them being teenagers !

I've never made that kit but the multicolours of Matchbox capture the period perfectly.

I look forward to following your build. 

cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great choice Dave,sorry to hear the story of your Dad's passing, my old friend lost his Dad at age eleven which slowly sent him on a downward spiral over

many years I was shocked to find he'd passed away last week himself so you've done alright mate,anyway best of luck and just to continue sounding like

a broken record(all together now) I did this one many moons ago!

• Thanks 1

Great choice and also some good memories of your dad. It is always sad to hear that he past away far to soon.

Bit this build will cheer you up with a nice Matchbox kit  and fond memories.

I have got this box in my stash somewhere as well, so I will be following this closely.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now I honestly had no intention of signing up to this GB, however reading a few 'Chat' posts and seeing a large number of classic kit build nominations has successfully (or is that stupidly) drawn me in!

Well done Dave and I hope this 'weak moment' doesn't overload your bench. That's a heartstring-tugging story about your Dad there but as you said, it does explain a lot about how most of us got into modelling and sets the scene for the reasons for your build.  Now that  would be another great basis for a 'nostalgia GB' - e.g. 'Kits my Dad built'

BTW, Matchbox also did a Handley Page Heyford if your Wellesley gets finished in time.....The best of wishes for this build. Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great to see you in for this GB Dave 👍

Nice to have a Matchbox build amongst the many Airfix ones. 

Sorry to hear about your Dad mate. I lost mine to Cancer too albeit just in December. Mine got me in to modelling as well so lots of good memories from our Dads.

All the best Greg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a lovely intro. This GB is really turning into something special.

I have my Dad to thank for my modelling fixation as well. The Big C also took him. I suspect many of us have a mentor of some sort that guided us along the road that has led here.

Matchbox kits really were good, weren't they? Wonderful subjects that just cry out for building. The parts you show in the last picture look to me like FROG Penguin ones! Your Dad clearly had a bit of a history as far as modelling goes.

Here's my kit showing the parts boxed up. The parts you show are in the bag at the top.

IMG-6738.jpg

Here's a built example...

IMG-6739.jpg

I can see your Dad watching over this build. Enjoy it.

Tony.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Guys, I am deeply touched by all your kind sentiments, so thank-you, it’s very much appreciated. Over the years I’ve tried hard not to dwell on the past as there’s not much that anyone can do to change the things that happen. Yes, I was young, however poor Dennis was even younger, so I can hardly imagine how hard that would have been.

You know when you think of it, I think we all owe a lot to our folks, so here’s to them for spawning an honest bunch of good blokes! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Some bitter-sweet memories there, Dave. By the very nature of this GB, we're all thinking back to our formative years, where we were influenced one way or another by grand-parents, parents, aunts & uncles and siblings. Sometimes, it's good to reflect on the good and the bad, the happy and the sad. It's the stories behind the kits we've chosen that gives this GB a very interesting element.

Good choice of kit BTW! I've not built one, but I have a built one which I think I got from Tony. For me, I still have a chuckle at the wing walkways which are footprints. If I were an aircraft handler in those days, walking on the wings, I'd be putting my feet on each foot print! With it's huge wingspan and single engine, it's an odd looking bird indeed.

Good luck with the build.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Dave, for your memories and sharing them with us so openly - even more so as these are sad ones.

But, in addition to just what Mike said, the childhood-memories thing here might be as much a reason to play along in this GB than building the perfect model. Or, to be honest, it's much more about memories than about modelling this time.

So, let's raise our glass to what brought us here, our parents, friends, companies like Matchbox, Airfix, ESCI or Monogram, and allow us a bit be a child again. At least that's why I'm here as well.

Cheers, folks, and thanks for sharing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Yes, I was young, however poor Dennis was even younger, so I can hardly imagine how hard that would have been.

Thanks Dave... It wasn't fun growing up without a Father. I was to young to even go to the funeral according to my mother. So I never truly got to say goodbye to him. However I dont want to take away from your thread. So will leave the discussion at this. 

Dennis

• Like 2

That is one of the best and most moving introductions to a build that I have ever read Dave, I am very sorry that you lost your Dad so young but we are all grateful that he instilled in you the love of modelling before he passed away. I'm lucky enough to have both my parents still and it was my Dad who got me started on kits too when he brought me an Airfix Hurricane at the tender age of 4 which we built together and painted the roundels on as we couldn't fine the decal sheet, what a mess that was!

I never built the Matchbox Wellesley so I'm intrigued to see how your build goes.

Thanks for joining us and for sharing your story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave I’m really glad you joined this GB and shared your touching story. I have a bit of a tear in my eye right now. Your Dad sounded awesome, I’m sure he’d be super happy you building all these kits still 😊 Good luck with the build, the GB is all the better with you on board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to this one Dave,..... good luck and if you need any tips have a look at the pair I made in a previous GB,.... adding interior datail is a sinch! 

All the best mate

Tony

• Thanks 1

To the latest round of encouraging comments and well wishes, once again a big thanks. It was never my intention to create a piece of writing to receive these wonderful comments, however it is honestly appreciated. Let's all enjoy this GB for our great childhood memories and recollect how we've all improved as mature modellers and decent gentlemen. 

Cheers.. Dave (who according to his kids may not have grown up as his age suggests!). 

• Like 3

Hi Dave and thanks for sharing your heartfelt intro :thumbsup2:.

It's nice to see your Dad's cigarette cards making an appearance too.  I was surprised to discover that they were coloured reproductions of actual photographs (I stumbled across an internet photo of an He.70 and thought it looked familiar!).

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another kit to jog the memory...I remember bashing one of these together sometime in the mid eighties. All the best for the build, and I was really touched by your intro and background story to this build. We may not realize it at the time during our childhoods, but the best Dads set us on a path and pass on interests and knowledge that last our lifetime. Like most here, I first came into contact with modelling after watching Dad build a plane with a certain grace and elegance with elliptical wingtips that no other had in its generation. It got me hooked on aircraft. Looking forward to seeing this one take shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2020 at 10:41 AM, Dansk said:

Any progress Dave? This has to be the most emotionally attached builds that we’d love to see

Hugh apologies for the lack of updates here Paul.

I've had a dose of modelling mojo loss, however still plan to get this one sorted prior to the GB end date. 

I've just looked into the very impressive GB Gallery and that brought a smile to my face. 

Cheers and thanks for checking in.. Dave 

• Like 7

The mojo thing strikes every now and then. It passes. When I get a bit of it, I clear the bench and put everything away and clean and tidy the tools. At some point temptation kicks in and everything is ready to go!

It's good to have you back Dave.

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When my mojo deserts me I ask my partner for a honeydew list.

She promptly embarks on her task with relish, 'honey do this, honey do that....' and so on.

It doesn't take me too long to get my mojo back. 😀

I hope yours returns soon - looking forward to seeing some type 'D' roundels again, which have been lacking on this GB.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4