Fiat G 50 Freccia***FINISHED***

Not entirely happy with my alternatives to Marrone Mimetico 2 so I will put the G 50 on hold for a short while whilst I get some paint from Jamie - there were a few other tins I needed and this makes up a minimum order for reduced postage, enamel paints being expensive as they need to be sent Parcelforce or courier these days. Acrylics are much less of a problem in that respect but the time and expense of switching from enamels to acrylics would probably be financially unsound at the best of times, and certainly at the moment, but maybe he will one day.

Cheers

Pete

I have received a parcel from Jaimie - not bad as it was ordered on Sunday, posted on Tuesday and arrived on Friday. I have had a play with it on my paint mule - an old Airfix Blenhein - the mottle is not as it will be on the kits but it gives me an idea on the shape and spacing I need.

DSC03063-crop

The section nearest the engine has a base of Giallo Mimetico 3 with blotches of Verde Mimetico 2 and Marrone Mimetico 3 which is a bit redder that I expected but being Jamie I expect it is accurate - after all it is called Marrone not Bruno! The outboard section is in Giallo Mimetico 4 which is more of a sand colour to my mind, and the green is Verde Mimetico 3 which is a lighter more yellow colour compared with VM2 though not obvious in the pic - all of these colours are from the Colourcoats paint range. As Jamie does not do Bruno Mimetico AFAIK, I have used Humbrol 118 US Tan for that as suggested by IPMS Stockholm. The two Fiats will be as on the inboard section whilst the MC 200 will probably be as on the outboard section, though if I go with the box art the Bruno Mim will be replaced by the Marrone Mim. It will actually have the green as base so will look quite a bit darker overall.

As my Manchester is making decent progress I should be able to restart on the Fiats soon.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 5

Well so much for idea that I could build this in between my other builds - a combination of fast drying acrylic paint (even faster in this weather) and looming deadlines meant that I had to concentrate on my other builds, but thankfully they are now done. I have therefore had a go at the mottle on my CR 42 as a warm up for the G50.

DSC03110-crop

Never said I was much good at mottle as I can never get it to look really random,, and this looks a bit glaring, so I will do the same as I did with my Frog Me 110 and Me 410 last year and use a thinned wash of base colour (or maybe even the slightly darker Giallo Mimetico 4) to tone it down a little. Still have not decided exactly which type of mottle I will put on the G50, but probably a little smaller and closer together than this. The wheel "spats" will need mottling but probably after I have put on the white stripe/arrowhead decals that I have made..

I am in the process of  putting another shelf in my roof to migrate kits off the shelves in my study as I need more room. That should be done in a day or so. Also my other half is hinting heavily that she wants me to move kits out of here in rotation so she can paint the walls - not my idea of fun but better than her getting bored and grumpy under our "isolation" which has to be done but is now becoming slightly tedious. Seeing the crowds on the beaches and protesting in London worries me that we will have a dangerous "second wave" but nothing we can do about it I guess. Trouble is that with 2 young cats about I will have to find somewhere safe to put them!

More soon.

Pete

• Like 7

Airfix show the G50 painted in large green blotches over the Giallo base but I have managed to find a photo of an aircraft from the same unit over the desert in 1941 which tells a different story.

The pic and accompanying profile drawing suggest that the mottle was in both Verdi and Marrone in large blotches on the wings and presumably horizontal stabs, with the "streaky" or "parallel line" pattern on the fuselage so I will have a go at that. I have seen drawings of the streaky pattern on all upper surfaces, but the photo shows that this was different.

I tried a wash of GM4 on my paint mule and it looked good, but forgot that the paint on that was 1 week old - when I tried it on the CR42 painted yesterday it caused a few streaks as the paint clearly had not set, so that will have to be done again :banghead:

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have not forgotten about this - just realised that I need to press on with my entries for the Spitfire/Seafire GB first, and also waiting for the paint to really harden before I start toning it down. This is my first attempt at mottling the G50

DSC03137-crop

I am happy with the CR42 but not at all sure about the G50 - it all looks too big and bold, though a bit more  "weathering" with GM4 will tone it down somewhat as on the 42. I suspect I will overpaint it with GM3 and try again, either "stripes" overall or something like the 42 - fortunately I only did half of it as an experiment. Pity I don't have any good pics of the wing uppersurfaces, though on the one I found the blotches do seem to be pretty big!.

The MC 200 should be easier on a green background, possibly with the MM3 overlaying the GM4. I am also wondering about the yellow cowling - some pics show a normal yellow but others show it as more of a "lemon" colour.

Any thoughts/comments would be welcome. Probably better airbrushed but at this scale I doubt I could do it these days with my shaky hands.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

Second attempt.

DSC03160-crop

This is how Airfix suggest it should be mottled, but I will add some Marrone Mimetico once the green is dry. If that looks ok I will give it a wash of thinned Grigio Mimetico 4 and then get on with finishing it - so much for a quick build, but I only have the Italian colours in enamel and they need to be good and hard before I wash them as it involves a lot of thinners - I might try a layer of acrylic varnish first to avoid the colours running (I hope).

Cheers

Pete

• Like 7

That looks good to me - agree with your idea re. the acrylic varnish as well - as hard as enamels can be they wilt at the first sign of solvent and all your good work can be undone in an instant.

• Like 1

I find that the problem with painting this sort of mottle is trying to get a totally random pattern both in terms of size and spacing.

DSC03172-crop

Far from perfect and maybe none too accurate for this plane but it will do for me. I will let it dry then fade it a bit with a thin wash of Giallo Mimetico 4.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 7

You are too kind guys,

Ok, probably a little better than when I originally built the kit, but not in the same league as some other modellers efforts, though perhaps not in this scale - 1/48 would have given me a chance to try with the airbrush perhaps. However, this is meant to be a fairly quick and easy build as anything more complicated can take some of the enjoyment out of it for me these days. I like a challenge sometimes, but not with every ruddy build, and certainly not when my other half is hell bent on painting my work space, whether I am in it or not !😄

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Toned it down a bit.

DSC03178-crop

Looking at the profiles in Ali e Colori I should perhaps have made the mottle denser so that less of the base colour showed, but I am not changing it now. Next I will get the undercarriage and engine nacelle on and then it will be decal time.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

On 5/10/2020 at 1:38 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Pete

When i built this kit many years ago I was never quite happy with the engine cowling to fuselage alignment, it just didnt look right.

Look forward to seeing your next instalment. 

cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

You were right - it is a lousy fit. Could be how I put the lower wing on but the "rim" the cowling is supposed to go on is fine at the top but non existent at the bottom, so left to its own devices it ends up leaning upwards far more than it should. Bit of surgery requred and I will put some packing on the fuselage front to support the cowling. That might fix it.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Sad 2

On 23/06/2020 at 22:38, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

You were right - it is a lousy fit. Could be how I put the lower wing on but the "rim" the cowling is supposed to go on is fine at the top but non existent at the bottom, so left to its own devices it ends up leaning upwards far more than it should. Bit of surgery requred and I will put some packing on the fuselage front to support the cowling. That might fix it.

Pete

On 23/06/2020 at 22:45, JOCKNEY said:

Really sorry to hear that Pete

I would look at some drawings and photos so you have a better idea of what is the correct alignment.

Cheers Pat

Yes, I was hit with this last year and just put a good dose of tube cement (one of my standard ‘techniques’) inside the cowl where it fits to the fuselage and set it at what looked like the right angle. Is this another case of an odd thrust line for the engine/prop perhaps?

• Like 1