Scandinavian Photographer

Recently completed my 1/72 Sword RF-84F Thunderflash.

Went with the RNoAF markings in the kit.

The decals in this kit were superb, with loads of miniscule stencil markings. The original engraving was very fine so I re-scribed everything.

Added some canopy locking mechanism latches from an Eduard F-16 etched set.

Used a little cars lens for the landing light & added the rod actuator for the nose leg. Drilled out the gun ports.

Mig acrylics & Vallejo Metal color Aluminium underside with a Mig enamel pin wash.

Royal Norwegian Air Force RF-84F 51-17053 AZ-G 717.Esk Sola Norway 1957;

49813053313_80404770c7_b.jpgRNoAF RF-84F 51-17053 AZ-G 717.Esk Sola Norway 1957 by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

49813593401_4ec992af6b_b.jpgRNoAF RF-84F 51-17053 AZ-G 717.Esk Sola Norway 1957 by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

49813902262_1a761a9888_b.jpgRNoAF RF-84F 51-17053 AZ-G 717.Esk Sola Norway 1957 by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

49813901932_62d3dbe564_b.jpgRNoAF RF-84F 51-17053 AZ-G 717.Esk Sola Norway 1957 by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

49813902002_7c1fa6208d_b.jpgRNoAF RF-84F 51-17053 AZ-G 717.Esk Sola Norway 1957 by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

49813593286_8802d2dba2_b.jpgRNoAF RF-84F 51-17053 AZ-G 717.Esk Sola Norway 1957 by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

Many thanks for looking.

Martin

• Like 33

Wow the first photo is rather impressive. As are the rest. Beautifully detailed. 

Full marks, pretty much gold standard in modelling terms. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, noelh said:

Wow the first photo is rather impressive. As are the rest. Beautifully detailed. 

Full marks, pretty much gold standard in modelling terms. 

Cheers mate! Very kind thanks!

Martin

I can only echo what the others have said. I've never built one, so I have to ask if Sword kits are hard to build.

• Like 1

Very nice, Martin @Lightningboy2000! Its one of my favourite subjects to be posted recently :). I have a few of these stashed away for another day, intending them to be KNL, Greek and maybe French. Was it a simple build, as much asa Sword kit can be?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

As I said on our FB page, fantastic work. That first pic does for me. Haven't noted the use of pin wash until now, is this a new thing? Looking forward the club night to see it in the flesh...whenever that will be.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 1

Wow Martin!!!!! This is by no means an easy kit to assemble let alone get to a state that you have recreated here.  Just superb fit and finish!!!!! 

I stand in awe!!!!! :worthy:

Mike

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 3:10 AM, SAT69 said:

I can only echo what the others have said. I've never built one, so I have to ask if Sword kits are hard to build.

It was a straight forward kit, but I'm not really the right person to ask in that I usually complicate a simple kit in some way or another! I'd  say the trickiest part is aligning the recon cameras as there isn't any real location tabs to line them up with, even though you can barely see them!. I also decided to deepen the panel lines as Sword's panel lines are typically shallow.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:17 AM, Courageous said:

As I said on our FB page, fantastic work. That first pic does for me. Haven't noted the use of pin wash until now, is this a new thing? Looking forward the club night to see it in the flesh...whenever that will be.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, not new to the old pin wash, just don't mention these things when I'm being over self critical! 😆 

Oh I've been meaning to mention about doing our competition on Facebook next month if that's feasible. We should be doing a virtual club night anyway.

Mart

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 10:20 AM, TonyW said:

That's a first class build.

The photographs are quite outstanding as well. Do you use image stacking? The depth of field seems to go on forever.

Tony.

Thanks Tony! 😊

At the time I just couldn't be bothered to get the SLR & tripod out, so just used the camera on the mobile phone which is just an average Chinese jobby. It acts as a good macro lens & up close the dof  is quite wide.

Mart

On 4/27/2020 at 9:03 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Martin @Lightningboy2000! Its one of my favourite subjects to be posted recently :). I have a few of these stashed away for another day, intending them to be KNL, Greek and maybe French. Was it a simple build, as much asa Sword kit can be?

Martin

I think we must like the same things you and I. If someone preferably Special Hobby made a new 1/72 Thunderstreak I would buy them by the dozens.

Yep it was as simple as Sword is if you know what I mean. Very fine panel lines, but everything else went together well. I've got the other boxing which shows a 66th TRW which will be next, only because I've seen a photo of it visiting Wethersfield.

Martin