Lancaster Mk. III "Grog's The Shot" - 100 Sqn. - Revell [1:72]

Rod The Fixer

Rod

Asu are going to build HW-Z then you need to take out the windows . . . .

I take it you know about the dihedral on the wings needs correcting ?

Good luck with the build

Ian

100 Squadron Lancaster man.

Edited by Mancunian airman

58 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Rod

Asu are going to build HW-Z then you need to take out the windows . . . .

I take it you know about the dihedral on the wings needs correcting ?

Good luck with the build

Ian

100 Squadron Lancaster man.

Thanks for the tips Ian, some clarifications:

Have I to take out only the rear turret window?

InkGweOl.jpg

Can you be more specific about the dihedral correction?

Thanks in advance for your help

• Like 2

Rod

If you look through the other Lancaster builds you will see that a couple of the lads have made corrections to the dihedral on their Revell builds and would be easier to SEE rather than me explain . . .

The rear turrets on a lot of Lancasters had the centre section of perspex taken out.

Having spoken to a rear gunner ( Bob Peterson)* that flew HW-Z on a lot of Ops. he told me that it was cut away.

Hope this helps 

Ian

* P/O Ted Forbes crew

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

The rear turrets on a lot of Lancasters had the centre section of perspex taken out.

Having spoken to a rear gunner ( Bob Peterson)* that flew HW-Z on a lot of Ops. he told me that it was cut away.

I was unaware of this 'Field' mod to the rear turrets, and have not addressed it, TBH the structure of the kit rear turret does not easily lend itself to replicating the modification anyway the plastic is very thick in order to provide a mounting point for the guns. I guess I'll just have to live with it on this occasion.

Mark.

• Like 1

Good to see another Lanc build taking place. It would be interesting to do a count back to see how many of each of the manufacturers kits are being built here, the Revell kit is proving to be quite popular. 
Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

4 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Rod

If you look through the other Lancaster builds you will see that a couple of the lads have made corrections to the dihedral on their Revell builds and would be easier to SEE rather than me explain . . .

Hope this helps 

Ian

* P/O Ted Forbes crew

Thanks, Ian 👍

• Like 1

Regarding the wing dihedral, I recall that in the debate that followed the kit's release, it was claimed that the dihedral as supplied was correct for an aircraft that was on the ground and fully fuelled. It wasn't disproved as far as I remember so that's my plan if I ever get round to building it.

John.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Are you sure those additional brass bits are not for 48th scale (?)

The ammo boxes for the front turret and the bombsight computer look a bit large to me . . . .

I'm using Eduard PE 76373 for 1/72 revell Kit...

we can compare them with this image

AUCA70Al.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Is that interior colour aft of the black yellow? If so, why yellow?

Chris

Hi Chris,

i think was an incorrect white balance, because i took the picture not, as usual, in the photo box  ..

Anyway i used the Mr color C027 Interior Green

Edited by Rod The Fixer
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2020 at 7:39 PM, johnd said:

Regarding the wing dihedral, I recall that in the debate that followed the kit's release, it was claimed that the dihedral as supplied was correct for an aircraft that was on the ground and fully fuelled. It wasn't disproved as far as I remember so that's my plan if I ever get round to building it.

John.

That's interesting. I remember reading somewhere - probably in Brickhill's Dambusters book, that when they flew with the Grand Slam for the first time they saw that the wings were flexing up considerably until they dropped it. I suppose the wings would bend up a bit when fully loaded on the ground but as the undercarriage is inboard of the point when the dihedral starts, I would have thought that the bending would also be in the inner wing section, though distortion of the spars would in turn push the wingtip up I suppose. Seems to me that the point of application of the relevant forces on the ground (at the u/c)  differs to that causing the outer wing to flex when in flight (lift over the entire wing surface), so I am not entirely convinced - probably wrong though.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

so I am not entirely convinced - probably wrong though

I must admit to being inspired by a mix of laziness and a desire to avoid messing up the fix so I haven't checked out the location of spars or internal wing tanks. Whether the fully laden with fuel claim is correct or not though, it does appear that the dihedral is greater when the aircraft is in flight. 

John.

21 hours ago, Rod The Fixer said:

I have a doubt ... 😥

can you confirm that the windows circled in red should be darkened and painted?

cB7zgkjl.jpg

Thanks

If you are building 'grog' there shouln't be any windows at all . . . .

Really lovely job and nicely photographed. shame most of it will be hidden away, however you do have these photos as a good reminder. 
Cheers.. Dave 

A small summary of the latest activities ...

Fuselage closed:

49905231702_57091f63bd_b.jpg

49904416013_520e5531ee_b.jpg

49905231627_73dc2ddde4_b.jpg

Steps of the wing dihedral modification :

I cut 4 plasticard pieces with a 7° angle to reinforce and make the wing more stable
49905231687_f87bb0eccc_b.jpg

49905231812_05fe7ba5ed_b.jpg

I inserted a few pins to avoid plasticard flexions
49904415903_e085ef2196_b.jpg

49905231507_3c7f83832a_b.jpg

I glued the outer wing

49904415848_7f9e030feb_b.jpg

I cut pins to put correctly the inner wing

49904932931_c782acba1f_b.jpg

I glued inner wing:

49904415738_ea060ed9d7_b.jpg

in the end this is the result before putty and sanding:

49904932806_45a373bdf0_b.jpg

49904932776_3aa05761de_b.jpg

49904415618_145c5a4877_b.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • Rod The Fixer changed the title to Lancaster Mk. III "Grog's The Shot" - 100 Sqn. - Revell [1:72]
  • 2 weeks later...