1/72 Hasegawa RNZAF P3K2 Orion

Sweet build !  I'm no expert on the Onion but she looks mighty fine to me.

I did look at getting myself one last year and building it up in the bomber role with pylons/bombs under the outer wings. Too many other projects on the go though.  But now that I've seen yours I might have to have another look at it.

Well done. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

Great job and well done with the flaps and weapons bay.

I made the old White over grey scheme with 1 sqn Albatros on the fin many years ago. She's quite a big plane once finished.

Keep the Kiwi subjects coming.

PS check out my SH-2G (NZ) in the Navy Group build, finished last month.

Colin

4 hours ago, Colin W said:

Great job and well done with the flaps and weapons bay.

I made the old White over grey scheme with 1 sqn Albatros on the fin many years ago. She's quite a big plane once finished.

Keep the Kiwi subjects coming.

PS check out my SH-2G (NZ) in the Navy Group build, finished last month.

Colin

Hi Colin. Thanks for the comments. I had a look at the Seasprite and it looks amazing. Hopefully mine turns out as good as yours. Thanks for sharing. 

3 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That's really sweet.  Did the boarding ladder come with the kit?  Thanks for showing this off!

Thanks man.  Yes, the ladder comes with the kit. I would also highly recommend the Quickboost propeller set if you can get your hands on it. You can have the blades feathered if you want. 

9 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

Sweet build !  I'm no expert on the Onion but she looks mighty fine to me.

I did look at getting myself one last year and building it up in the bomber role with pylons/bombs under the outer wings. Too many other projects on the go though.  But now that I've seen yours I might have to have another look at it.

Well done. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Gaz

Thanks Gaz. I thought it had to be done after seeing the Orion last at the Ohakea Air tattoo. Had to have one in the cabinet. I am trying to finish a C-130 before they get replace too. 

• Like 2

Hello NZ,

By the number of comments, you can clearly see, that the P3 is a very popular MPA.

Your model looks outstanding. 

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

That's a nice build! It makes me a bit jealous though. I started a Hasegawa one about 25 years ago & It's moved house 4 times, I finally got round to trying to finish it but couldn't find the undercarriage so I got some white metal ones, then I couldn't find the undercarriage doors, then I decided I'd made a pigs ear of it anyway so I chucked it in the bin yesterday.

I need another one because I've got some decals of one I saw at an airshow, so need to use them. Kept the white metal bits as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome build, lots of details that I didn't know about for the K2. I didn't know about the darker grey on the fuselage top... thank you for sharing this.

I'm buying thew bits to do one myself, but might chicken out and do the K1!  All those aerials...

Really nice ob on that Josh, I saw this the other night on my fone at work, sorry mate, thought I'd already left a like. It's a model I should be after but I'm keener on 1/144 for something this size. The hard bit will be deciding which of the various schemes they've worn in their long service to go for. :unsure:

Steve.

Very nice indeed, neatly done. I work with CP140s everyday so get to know the lines very well, you've captured them spot on. Like the dropped flaps, adds more realism to it. Any chance we can see an underside shot :D

Great stuff!

Bob

7 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

NZ must really baby their Orions.  Never seen one so clean!

My Dad Served with 5 Squadron who own the RNZAF P3's,

the mantra he had even after retirement, was "Maintain, Maintain",

instilled in him from first days of Service.

This is an RNZAF P3k taken some few years ago now, at Whenuapai

(home of 5 Squadron), what you don't see is the wear and tear on the

leading edges.

Given that these aircraft cover a vast amount of the Pacific Ocean generally,

maintenance is important to keep them flying

RNZAF+P3K+Airshow+2009.jpg

Regards

Alan

On 5/16/2020 at 9:13 AM, SkippyNZ said:

Awesome build, lots of details that I didn't know about for the K2. I didn't know about the darker grey on the fuselage top... thank you for sharing this.

I'm buying thew bits to do one myself, but might chicken out and do the K1!  All those aerials...

Thanks. Do the K2 for sure. Lots of aerials but it super fun breaking them off a accidentally, then glueing them back on. It’s all good fun though. I only noticed the darker grey on top in an aerial shot on the Defence force website. Maybe my eyes playing tricks or the lighting, but I went with it.

https://www.defence.govt.nz/what-we-do/delivering-defence-capability/defence-capability-projects/p-3k-orion-mission-systems-upgrade/

On 5/17/2020 at 12:51 PM, Ad-4N said:

Great job!  NZ must really baby their Orions.  Never seen one so clean!😀

Ha ha, I really do. I have seen them on base and at air shows over the years. You would be hard pressed to find a dirty one. It’s probably the key to their 52 years of service. I have washed most days over my 37 years and nothing has fallen off or broken, so fingers crossed for the run to 52 😝

On 5/17/2020 at 8:36 PM, LDSModeller said:

My Dad Served with 5 Squadron who own the RNZAF P3's,

the mantra he had even after retirement, was "Maintain, Maintain",

instilled in him from first days of Service.

This is an RNZAF P3k taken some few years ago now, at Whenuapai

(home of 5 Squadron), what you don't see is the wear and tear on the

leading edges.

Given that these aircraft cover a vast amount of the Pacific Ocean generally,

maintenance is important to keep them flying

RNZAF+P3K+Airshow+2009.jpg

Regards

Alan

Nice pic Alan. It will definitely be sad to see them go in the coming years.