1/72 Hasegawa RNZAF P3K2 Orion

Hi there. I have been a Britmodeller voyeur for years, so I thought I would finally post some pics of my latest completion.

This build is my attempt at a Royal New Zealand Airforce P3-K2 Orion, built from a Hasegawa P-3C kit. There are a few things I am not happy with (forgetting nose weight!) but I had loads of fun making it. The more I tried to tinker with it, the more things broke. So I gave up and here it is.

From what I understand the K2 is the latest upgrade, however the Orion is soon to be replaced by the P-8 Poseidon. 

Thanks for looking.

Josh from NZ.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 57
  • Thanks 3

Hi Josh,

Very Very nice :thumbsup:

Where are the decals from?

My Dad was in the original RNZAF Personnel that brought the P3's from

the States.

Thanks for sharing with us

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

Always nice to see Kiwi subjects, especially when they are finished off this well. I still marvel at the overall age of these P-3K airframes, so thats a big tick to all the service (or contractor) personnel who maintain these ageing aircraft to such high standards. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yes, decals are Oldmodelsdecals from NZ. I used the inkjet decals first but had a complete fail due to inexperience, so used the digital printed set on round 2. 

The flaps etc is the old CMK set, but I see Black dog resin doing some great Orion aftermarket sets. I’m currently working on an RNZAF Seasprite and Iroquois so I will why some images up when done. Thanks again. 

Josh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You`ve done a superb job,..... the dropped flaps and opened weapons bay look great and must have took some doing and the scheme itself,....and the way you`ve applied it are fantastic too,....... you should be very proud of this and please don`t be a voyeur anymore,.....I`d love to see more of your stuff. 

Cheers

Tony

I wasn't going to open the Bomb Bay on my latest P-3 project but now I'm having second thoughts! Lovely work - how did you find installing the flap set?

Bloody fantastic Kahu Orion Josh, I'd be proud to have this in my cabinet. Have you or do you plan to build the Airfix Vampire T.11 RNZAF (starter set). That's a great kit and the best way to get a rare Vampire in your collection.

25 minutes ago, Tempestwulf said:

Bloody fantastic Kahu Orion Josh, I'd be proud to have this in my cabinet. Have you or do you plan to build the Airfix Vampire T.11 RNZAF (starter set). That's a great kit and the best way to get a rare Vampire in your collection.

Thanks for the comments. I don't have the vampire set but I will definitely have a look.

1 hour ago, Bell209 said:

I wasn't going to open the Bomb Bay on my latest P-3 project but now I'm having second thoughts! Lovely work - how did you find installing the flap set?

Hey Rob. I had no issues at all with the flaps and they went in easily. I only had issues with the rear cabin interior, but left it out as I figured you won't actually see any of it.

• Like 1

With those interior parts, you could make a nice cutaway. On a P-3 side note, does anyone have an extra set of wings and engines for one? or a parts model? I want to make a turbo Connie and want to use one for the engines/nacelles.

16 minutes ago, JBallsfromNZ said:

I only had issues with the rear cabin interior, but left it out as I figured you won't actually see any of it.

Hmm, that's something else I've been toying with. I was going to model it with door open, so you can see inside. Maybe not now...

Thats gorgeous, always had a soft spot for the P-3 and have this kit in my stash but never built it. This is beautiful, love the crisp shiny metallic area's round the inlets and the dropped flaps and open weapons bay make a huge difference.

Eng