Beginner having a go (again)

FlyingSpanner

Hi all, my name is Lewis, and I recently decided on a whim to buy a plastic ship (boat) kit, having last built one as a teen twenty years ago. Once again coastal forces of WW2 caught my interest, and recalling the frustration of my youth at the 1/72 Airfix and Revell MTB and S-boat offerings I decided to go for the Italeri 1/35 Vosper in the hopes that a larger scale and newer kit might be an easier (re)introduction.

I haven’t much of a clue where to start with glues, tools and paints, so I’m certain I’ll have many questions to follow as I get into the kit. So far the sum total of my modelling has been admiring the box art and checking out the instructions. Having never seen PE brass parts in a model kit before I’m beginning to second guess my thought process on this being an entry level kit to start me off 🙄

Wish me luck!

Edited by FlyingSpanner
Typo
  • Like 4

Hello FS...:post1: from across the pond in Chicago. Tamiya's extra Thin is a very common glue, but I recommend a gel type for internal connections its stronger and more flexible. I also recommend a couple of Cyanoacrylates (C/A) or Super glue, one a C/A gel the other a liquid C/A either quick set or medium set. The photo-etch will need the C/A glue to set. Pva glues work for clear parts so no fogging. Some Nail files and sanding film in various grits the wet/dry type would be good as well. Various brushes or an airbrush for painting, and lots of Tamiya type masking tape. Very helpful if you plan on masking various color-schemes up. Please dont hesitate to ask down in Maritime for more more specific questions.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/356-maritime-discussion-by-era/

Everyone here is quite friendly and helpful. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Welcome back to modelling, with photoetch and all that stuff, just remember not to lose sight of why we all build scale models: for fun. 

Good luck with your build! 

Cheers, yes I’ll have to bear it in mind 👍

• Like 2

In the same idea as Adam here but only build for yourself. Never what you think the Forum want or others want to see you build. Thats a quick path to unhappiness and frustration. I speak from experience as a former competitive modeler. Because of burnout it made me leave the hobby for ten years. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1