Must Have tools

iceman98

Hello, my name is Thanos. I am new to scale modeling, currently I am building a Kinetic F 16 (1/48) and a couple of Eduard Spitfires (1/72). I have made a relatively good investment buing some tools, like a set of tweezers, a H&S Ultra (2 in 1) airbrush, a compressor, a knife with No11 blade and a razor saw. Also I bought some brushes (10/0, 3/0, 2/0, 2, 4 round brushes + an old 12 round Da Vinci and No 3/8, 4, 8, 10 flat brushes). For gluing I am using Mr. Cement S, but I have problems due to its fast evaporation. For gap's filling I bought an AK grey putty and Mr Surfacer 1200. 

I would like to ask for recommendations regarding the adhesives and paint brushes. Also I would like to ask for must have tools or other important tools.

• Like 1

Hello Thanos and welcome to one of the friendlier corners of the internet.

That list sounds like a good starting set but a couple of additional suggestions:

• Sprue cutters - snips used to remove the kit's parts from the sprue as you need them
  • If you have a Swann Morton knife you may also want to get some Number 10 and 15 blades and a second handle
  • A pair of scissors
  • Different grades of sanding sticks
  • You might find super glue a better adhesive than Mr Cement (I'm assuming that's a liquid adhesive) in some situations

15 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Hello Thanos and welcome to one of the friendlier corners of the internet.

That list sounds like a good starting set but a couple of additional suggestions:

• Sprue cutters - snips used to remove the kit's parts from the sprue as you need them
  • If you have a Swann Morton knife you may also want to get some Number 10 and 15 blades and a second handle
  • A pair of scissors
  • Different grades of sanding sticks
  • You might find super glue a better adhesive than Mr Cement (I'm assuming that's a liquid adhesive) in some situations

Thank you very much for your reply. I will look for the blades and the sprue cutter. I forgot to mention that I have 1000, 4000, 600, 200 sandsticks. Should I look for something else?

4 minutes ago, iceman98 said:

Thank you very much for your reply. I will look for the blades and the sprue cutter. I forgot to mention that I have 1000, 4000, 600, 200 sandsticks. Should I look for something else?

No that sounds like a good selection of sanding sticks.

For photo-etch liquid polystyrene cement won’t work, the tube stuff will after a fashion.

Where you want a secure bond use super glue (CA) or two part epoxy.  For smaller parts that won’t be disturbed you can also use PVA, tube polystyrene, even varnish.

For transparencies use PVA (the white craft or wood glue, it dries clear) - polystyrene cement will bond well but there is a risk that the fumes will fog the transparency.

Cheers,

Nigel

How about Micro Mesh polishing cloths for when you have one of those inevitable blade slips on a clear part. Also come in handy polishing undercoat/paint just to smooth it all before final coat if needed.

You will find that as your experience grows so too will your tools to do the job, often inventing your own from old/unused/worn tools, for instance, one of my panel line tools is made from an old paintbrush handle.

Thank you very much for your replies, I will buy for sure a super glue and some polishing staff, as I have found some PVA, maybe I will buy a standart cement. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you're using superglue it's a good idea to have some debonder on hand as well. It's easy to glue yourself and not the model 🤣 especially the thin superglue which can run everywhere.