A Tomahawk in Africa: Curtis Mk. ii in 1/48

This is AK431, a workhorse from the North Africa campaign, based in Fayid, Egypt in 1943. With its battered, leaky exterior, this P-40 looks like the survivor of a tough environment. 

The Airfix Tomahawk is a nice kit - easy to build with a nicely detailed interior. I added a Master gunsight and replaced the pilot with the one I didn’t use from the Tamiya P-38, a well sculpted figure that deserved to be reassigned. 

Apart from an unfortunate Me-109 I mauled as a 10-year-old, this is the first desert scheme I’ve attempted in the second phase of my modeling career. Another first was attempting some riveting, as well as using Mission Model paints, which layer nicely when thinned down considerably. 

Forgive my amateur Photoshop experiment with getting this thing to fly. Well, under the circumstances, you’ve got to keep yourself entertained.

Thanks for looking.

CT5

CT6

CT2a

CT10

CT8

CT7

CT11

• Like 60
  • Thanks 2

Excellent model. The underside weathering is very effective! The better pilot enhances the finished model a lot. 

That is awesome! I bought my first Airfix P-40B a few weeks ago, looks like I'll have to get the RAF version now as well. Exactly how I'd like my in-flight prop models to look. Where did you source the pilot from?

19 hours ago, whiskey said:

That is awesome! I bought my first Airfix P-40B a few weeks ago, looks like I'll have to get the RAF version now as well. Exactly how I'd like my in-flight prop models to look. Where did you source the pilot from?

He's from the Tamiya P-38, and is an excellent little figure. Thanks for the feedback!

• Thanks 1

Whenever I say that the best colors and scheme on a P-40 is the RAF Desert Air Force, I will show off this one as to why.  Just an outstanding rendition in my opinion.  Bravo!!!!! :yahoo:

Mike

1 hour ago, Sky Keg said:

Whenever I say that the best colors and scheme on a P-40 is the RAF Desert Air Force, I will show off this one as to why.  Just an outstanding rendition in my opinion.  Bravo!!!!! :yahoo:

Mike

That's very kind, Mike - thanks! And I completely agree. Mid-stone, Dark Earth and Azur Blue are a handsome combo. 

• Thanks 1

That's a great looking Tomahawk.  Some very realistic weathering and nice to see one 'in flight'.  The pilot figure looks very convincing. Certainly better than the average kit supplied pilot.  I'm curious as to which unit this aircraft served with.  Never seen E + D on an Tomahawk before.  Is it a Wing Co's aircraft?  

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

That's a great looking Tomahawk.  Some very realistic weathering and nice to see one 'in flight'.  The pilot figure looks very convincing. Certainly better than the average kit supplied pilot.  I'm curious as to which unit this aircraft served with.  Never seen E + D on an Tomahawk before.  Is it a Wing Co's aircraft?  

From 'an unknown unit' is the only reference I could find. The decals (of iffy quality) are from Iliad - again, the only other source I could find. 

9a81a6f6f11cedf52c48b57ff8e3be5b

• Like 2

Just now, TimT said:

From 'an unknown unit' is the only reference I could find. The decals (of iffy quality) are from Iliad - again, the only other source I could find. 

9a81a6f6f11cedf52c48b57ff8e3be5b

Thank you.  Maybe an OCU or maintenance unit.  Iliad tend to cover Greek subjects, I believe but as far as I'm aware no Greek squadrons flew the Tomahawk.