Gorgeous pair Rob !! :whistle::whistle:

Lots of improvements on this old Monogram !

I still have one or two of it in my attic...

But, I will not start another thread right now,

Even with your inspiring work !!

Keep carry on and stay safe !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

On 03/05/2020 at 01:05, corsaircorp said:

I still have one or two of it in my attic...

Do you want me to help you out with these CC? ⁉️😇

Always willing to help........ 

The Monogram juggernaut is just about done 

I got the Academy canopy and windscreen adapted and settled in, and once I was happy with that I scratched an armour plate with a little fitting on the back that spot glues into the front end of the canopy slot. 

Aerial shaped and fitted. This came moulded onto the fuselage side so it was removed before assembly. 

Also stretched a line from the fin down to a hole in the fuselage. 

Here's the specimen.... 

IMG_20200509_224744

IMG_20200509_224815

The intake on the leading edge of the starboard wing is just about visible there. 

IMG_20200509_224913

That's the Hamilton prop that I made. 

And here she is with the Curtiss electric type, kindly donated by Zack. 

IMG_20200509_225005

So there we have it, a nice pair of Jugs ‼️

IMG_20200509_225200

IMG_20200509_225331

Actually I have a confession to make, but I think you'll find it fair enough.... 

There's a third P47.... And it's a Razorback 😍

IMG_20200509_225617

The thing is, I didn't build it. 

I picked it up at our annual show last year for a couple of £. Sold on behalf of a modeller who is losing the ability to carry on. 

Beautiful model beautifully made and finished. I think it may be a Tamiya. 

I'm just so pleased to give it a new home. 

But it does raise the question that can't be contemplated..... 

What becomes of the pile of artifacts that we spend all these hours making? 

Anyway, I got it on impulse - there were 5 beauties there and I thought about clearing the table! - thinking I'd whack a bit of foil on and a few decals.... 

NO WAY ‼️

When I got it home and had a good look at the quality of the model, that idea went straight in the bin. 

The flaps had been fixed with double sided tape, so I deployed those, fitted a couple of wheel chocks and that's it! 

The canopy is basically a clip on fit, but it doesn't look so good in the slid back position because of the thickness of the plastic. Expertly painted probably with masks and the interior is superb as well.

Ain't she a beautiful Jug ⁉️

IMG_20200509_225533

IMG_20200509_225431

I'm just pleased to show her off on here with my pair 

😎😇😍

• Like 3

Very nice one Rob !!

What will our model became  ? 

Wifey said that she will bin all my models... 

That will be seriously stupid...

But if I'm no longer here, what can I do ??

I told my kids that selling it is a bit more clever...

You have a great Jug collection !!

And I think the Razorback is a Tamiya one !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

I'll finish with a couple of observations on the kits. 

Both are quite simple in construction, the Monogram kit due to its age and the HBoss because of its design philosophy.. 

HBoss didn't even supply the wing pylons, I remember making mine from Balsa, hardening and foiling.. 

If you want any animated control surfaces on either airframe you're going to have to reach for the knife and saw. 

The Monogram kit features moulded-on gun barrels and aerial. These HAD to be removed to allow the foil to be applied. The centre tank mounts are thick slabs. These need to be removed and replaced with 4 legs. 

The horizontal Tailplanes look very flat compared to the other planes, which have more of an aerofoil section. 

Really glad I got the flaps deployed, and I should have taken a knife to the elevators too, I think. 

The HBoss easybuild is a breeze to assemble if I remember correctly. 

If you love fiddling around with sub-assemblies and brass pe micro parts, then this is NOT the kit for you! 

If you want an airframe quick to do some painting, weathering and finishing practice, then absolutely yes‼️😎

And the P38 Lightning in the same series is an absolute miracle of injection moulding! 😲

Finally, I want to thank @Zack, BIG TIME for his generous donation of crucial parts for the completion of the Monogram plane.

THIS is what Britmodeller is all about isn't it ⁉️

And Johnny @The Spadgent, for the motivation via his P47N build

It's been a blast and I've had a few firsts with these.... 

Hand made nose art decal. 

Scratch 4 blade prop 

Laser print Red stripes 

Blablah.... 

Thanks for the company 😎

• Like 1

🙌👏🙌👏🙌🙌🙌❤️ Brilliant finish they both look great. When I saw the razor back I was a little shocked. That was quick!!! 🤪 She does look great though, might have to put another on the list. Those stripes are lovely. Splendid work once again Rob. 

Johnny

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2020 at 12:53 AM, rob Lyttle said:

Do you want me to help you out with these CC? ⁉️😇

Always willing to help........ 

You're welcome Rob !!

Pm your adress... and wait ...

Monogram Mmmmh ?? 

I did'nt have the HB yet !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure this will be controversial but i tend to bin all my models after a few days after completion. I have always enjoyed the build but after that they are just bits of plastic.

Its a bit like building a jigsaw. You dont keep it built for ever , you break it up and do it again or buy another.  I cant really disassemble the models so i  just buy another.

• Sad 2

I for one, am glad you made both a Razorback and a bubble top, shows the P-47 in its two well known formats, many make the mistake of association with the razorback as the B or C model and the Bubbletop where in fact many of the razorback  models were D models!

the pilots who moved onto the Bubbletop discovered a difference in handling between the two models. Notably, longfitudeinal stability; the Razorback had greater longitudinal stability due to that ‘razorback’ and when they converted to the Bubbletop they found quite a difference in handling due to not having that. There were other benefits to it, notably the all round vision. That said, pilots that moved to the Bubbletops were ground attack/fighter pilots Most fighter pilots in the 8th went on to the P-51’s . The P-47 lacked range until it was fitted with drop tanks and despite its massive engine was that it took longer to climb but was excellent in a dive! 
A pilot of the 4th FG mentioned to Don Blakeslee that the P-47 ‘sure could dive’! To which he replied to the effect that it’s just as well it can dive “cos it sure as h••• can’t climb”! 
Two cracking builds there; very well done indeed!

• Thanks 2

Another confusion is that the P-51B was a razorback too AND it was affected in the same way when introduced as the D model (Bubbletop version) pilots also found the same effect as with the P-47 razorback to the D model.

The P-51 B model was a Razorback, as was the C models although not quite as sharp a razor. Many think the C model was the one with the spitfirelike ‘Malcolm’ hood. In fact many B models had it! The difference between the B and the C is that the C model was built from summer 1943 in Dallas, Texas and the rest were built in California.

Im sure you will all sleep well knowing this😂😂

Edited by Markh-75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

The difference between the B and the C is that the C model was built from summer 1943 in Dallas, Texas and the rest were built in California.

Now, you see, if they'd built the C in California, the D in Dallas, and maybe opened a factory in Boise, Idaho to build the B..... I'd be able to remember all this 😎

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Spec7 said:

I'm sure this will be controversial but i tend to bin all my models after a few days after completion. I have always enjoyed the build but after that they are just bits of plastic.

Its a bit like building a jigsaw. You dont keep it built for ever , you break it up and do it again or buy another.  I cant really disassemble the models so i  just buy another.

I can understand how difficult it would be to donate them to a local airfield museum as they are all closed due to some virus or other; and i dont know if you live even relatively near any; but i'd have said why not donate them to an airfield museum for others to enjoy looking at? Or even sell them on?

I'm not trying to tell you wot to do; just a suggestion/idea. Seems a shame to break them down after all the effort and time you put into them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 12:35 PM, rob Lyttle said:

Any mention of Double Ds will be frowned on by the BM authorities 😜😄

So I guess “Such a wonderful display of Jug’s” is no good either ? 🤪

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...