Cierva C.30a DR623 74 Calibration Flight Duxford  1/35 Mini Art

Thought it high time I did an RAF machine from Mini Art’s lovely 1/35 kit. DR623 KX-N (c/n 709) was an impressed civil machine ex G-ACWH hence the Cierva C.30a designation rather than Avro Rota. The aircraft was used by 74 Calibration Flight (Signals) based at Duxford circa 1943. The aircraft survived the war and returned to the UK register as G-AHLE.  Hope it’s of interest.

330A3D48-2E95-48CF-895B-0C3644B20D3B

65EEBCE0-EE36-47EF-B39C-A8B770263341

• Like 28

That is really nice. 

These look like a great subject to build as well. There is one preserved at Duxford, would love to see it flying, but as they're so rare I doubt that will ever happen.

Martin

On 25/04/2020 at 21:40, petetasker said:

Thought it high time I did an RAF machine from Mini Art’s lovely 1/35 kit.

Definately!

Another fine model to add to your collection Pete.

I must say though, the red and blue on the decals looks a tad on the bright side to me.

1 hour ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

That is really nice. 

These look like a great subject to build as well. There is one preserved at Duxford, would love to see it flying, but as they're so rare I doubt that will ever happen.

Martin

Hi Martin I’m pretty sure there was one back in the air in Spain if memory serves. Seem to recall seeing a video of it somewhere on the net 

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Definately!

Another fine model to add to your collection Pete.

I must say though, the red and blue on the decals looks a tad on the bright side to me.

Hi Yes the kit decals are too bright. I had hoped putting them over the camo might tone them down a bit but it’s probably just made them stand out even more. I’ll probably do another RAF machine but will have to look elsewhere/improvise for decals.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

A really nice build. I’ve just started the ski version of this aircraft, but have hit a wall. You have yours with the door open, the instructions are a bit vague as to how it opens and shuts. Looking at your photo, it appears to slide up and down. Is that right ?

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

A really nice build. I’ve just started the ski version of this aircraft, but have hit a wall. You have yours with the door open, the instructions are a bit vague as to how it opens and shuts. Looking at your photo, it appears to slide up and down. Is that right ?

Hello mate Yes the door on the C.30 slides up and down. Any other questions shout them out. Probably can't answer them but shout them out anyway.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, petetasker said:

Hello mate Yes the door on the C.30 slides up and down. Any other questions shout them out. Probably can't answer them but shout them out anyway.

As I thought. Many thanks.

Jon

• Thanks 1